Back in the PC Game (kinda), what have I missed?

If you're into the Strategy games, but wish they have a more visceral carnage to them (I always wish I could fight the battles in X4 games), then I would wholeheartedly recommend the latest Total War titles.

3 Kingdoms: Set in China during the collapse of the Han dynasty (190AD), it combines very deep diplomacy, along with varying troop types, and historical figures that will literally duel each other on the battlefield. You manage your empire, create alliances (or vassals), engage in trade, and spycraft while researching new tech to improve your faction.

This is the newest title from Creative Assembly, but the reviews has been very solid on this game, and if you're interested in the time period, you can sink some serious hours into the game.

Warhammer 2: The 2nd in the series, but an incredible title to the Total War universe. It is the first fantasy based setting - the previous TW were always historical in nature; and features a plethora of factions, playstyles, including hero with their magic, and monsters from the Warhammer Universe.

While there is a lot of DLC to the game, it benefits from have an all encompassing world. What I mean by this, is that if you own both WH1 and WH2 you get access to a massive map with all those factions playable; I've played it for hundreds of hours, and by no means am I even slightly bored of this game yet. You learn one faction (like Vampires that heal and raise dead) only to switch to the Lizardmen who are - you guessed it, Lizards; who ride into battle atop a T-Rex, a Triceratops or Pteradactyls. If that's not your style you got two different types of Elves. The good and bad, and each has a unique flavour to them in the campaign.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

If you're into the Strategy games, but wish they have a more visceral carnage to them (I always wish I could fight the battles in X4 games), then I would wholeheartedly recommend the latest Total War titles.

3 Kingdoms: Set in China during the collapse of the Han dynasty (190AD), it combines very deep diplomacy, along with varying troop types, and historical figures that will literally duel each other on the battlefield. You manage your empire, create alliances (or vassals), engage in trade, and spycraft while researching new tech to improve your faction.

This is the newest title from Creative Assembly, but the reviews has been very solid on this game, and if you're interested in the time period, you can sink some serious hours into the game.

Warhammer 2: The 2nd in the series, but an incredible title to the Total War universe. It is the first fantasy based setting - the previous TW were always historical in nature; and features a plethora of factions, playstyles, including hero with their magic, and monsters from the Warhammer Universe.

While there is a lot of DLC to the game, it benefits from have an all encompassing world. What I mean by this, is that if you own both WH1 and WH2 you get access to a massive map with all those factions playable; I've played it for hundreds of hours, and by no means am I even slightly bored of this game yet. You learn one faction (like Vampires that heal and raise dead) only to switch to the Lizardmen who are - you guessed it, Lizards; who ride into battle atop a T-Rex, a Triceratops or Pteradactyls. If that's not your style you got two different types of Elves. The good and bad, and each has a unique flavour to them in the campaign.

Hmm. I definitely have to check one of these out. I've actually never played Total War despite liking the genre. 

I think I'll watch some videos on both...from your descriptions I think I'd probably dig 3 Kingdoms more but they both seem appealing. Maybe I'll just nab whichever is on sale first. 

9 minutes ago, Casual said:

Hmm. I definitely have to check one of these out. I've actually never played Total War despite liking the genre. 

I think I'll watch some videos on both...from your descriptions I think I'd probably dig 3 Kingdoms more but they both seem appealing. Maybe I'll just nab whichever is on sale first. 

Just saw this on the Total War Reddit: They're all on sale. 

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/promo/total-war-week/?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_2_layout_index_2_layout_type_twos_tile_index_1_c_totalwarweek_2019

The other thing I would mention about the Warhammer series is you still build, research and manage your own Empire, but due to the variance of the factions they have different playstyles, and thus it's not always the same considerations that go into managing your empire.

If you're looking for a good breakdown of how the games play out I would suggest this guy's Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Surrealbeliefs

He's got videos on Total War: 3 Kingdoms, Warhammer, and Anno 1800 - and is great at explaining his thought process behind his strategy and choices, which leads to very well done video series.

Edited by Teh_Diplomat