Gamespot dropped the ball with their Greedfall review

That uncomfortable scene is emblematic of the plot in Greedfall; its tales of colonialism and political subterfuge are tackled with such little nuance

Greedfall attempts to tweak certain aspects of its otherwise conventional colonialist plot (the islanders aren't depicted as crazed natives or hungry cannibals, and the factions are somewhat multicultural), but beyond a vague sense of awareness about its oppressive legacy, Greedfall's heavy-handed themes never make way for anything more nuanced or interesting

Most damning of all is your character, De Sardet, who, as the big hero, embodies the "white man's burden" allegory that also plagues other colonial-themed narratives; it's all on you to liberate the natives or unite the factions against them

But ultimately, because Greedfall is so cavalier about its colonialist themes, .....

Surprised?

7 hours ago, madmaltese said:

That uncomfortable scene is emblematic of the plot in Greedfall; its tales of colonialism and political subterfuge are tackled with such little nuance

Greedfall attempts to tweak certain aspects of its otherwise conventional colonialist plot (the islanders aren't depicted as crazed natives or hungry cannibals, and the factions are somewhat multicultural), but beyond a vague sense of awareness about its oppressive legacy, Greedfall's heavy-handed themes never make way for anything more nuanced or interesting

Most damning of all is your character, De Sardet, who, as the big hero, embodies the "white man's burden" allegory that also plagues other colonial-themed narratives; it's all on you to liberate the natives or unite the factions against them

But ultimately, because Greedfall is so cavalier about its colonialist themes, .....

Surprised?

:D what a joke. It’s impossible to take these reviewers seriously nowadays.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, bhytre said:

lmao, I so wish gamers would collectively dismiss all review sites completely. 

Let's be honest, we still use GS here to claim ownage; but is anyone going there to get an honest assessment before you pick up a game? :cruise:

8.2 from ign. Been a while since I agreed with them over gamespot

‘I enjoyed myself just about every step of the way through GreedFall’s epic, morally complex tale of exploration and swashbuckling. The Technomancer was disappointing, but I still wanted to see other games try the ambitious things it was attempting with more success - and GreedFall delivers on that promise. There are still glitches, awkward character models, immersion-breaking re-use of assets, and a general bugginess that keep it from being unambiguously excellent, but I have a feeling this is going to be a crowd-pleaser for those of us who still shake our canes and talk about how the genre peaked a decade ago. We may have to eat our words before long.’ 

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/17/greedfall-review

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Surprised?

What the fuck :shake:

1 hour ago, JONBpc said:

I kinda want to get this game.  How does it run on PC tb?

My PC is getting pretty outdated and I did have performance issues at first. Its not the most demanding game but if you're getting a choppy framerate then bring 2 settings down a notch: Cloth Physics and Textures. Those seem to be the most demanding ones.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

This or Kingdom Come? 

I was waiting to get further in before I replied to you in the other thread, but after 22 hours im comfortable enough to compare them.

The reality is that they're completely different games, so its more a question of what you're looking for. Kingdom Come evokes The Elder Scrolls games with a lot of its design, even the skill system is almost identical (the more you do something the higher the skill for it will go up). Its also got a full open world. The combat is also very unique, i played the game for 46 hours and never felt like I got a good grasp of it. It definitely felt realistic and skill based so they nailed that aspect of it. That also applies to the overarching story, which has a very grounded setting and themes but at the same time that means a portion of its story and quests aren't quite as exciting as they could be. Pacing wise its very slow, i actually had no idea i played the game for 46 hours because it felt like i had barely made any progress in the main story.

Greedfall is a very different type of RPG. You can tell from the start that Dragon Age was a huge influence, the world is broken up into a bunch of smaller areas so its not a full open world, and it has a companion system similar what you'd see in DA. Its combat is very action heavy, but that aspect of it is closer to The Witcher more than anything else. You can coat your weapons with oils, set traps, theres parrying. etc. It has a 1700s colonial vibe and setting but theres a pretty large fantasy aspect to it, so its definitely not trying to be realistic. So far i've found the story and characters in general to be more interesting, but thats just because its my preferred type of storytelling and genre.

What they both have in common is the lack of polish and refinement, so expect the typical jank you'd get from european developed RPGs. But If I really were to pick one it would be Greedfall as its a lot easier to get into and I already know im going to finish it (Compared to Kingdom Come which is massive and has enough complexity to make it hard to play all the way through). But they're both still eventually worth playing regardless of which one you pick now.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Twinblade said:

I was waiting to get further in before I replied to you in the other thread, but after 22 hours im comfortable enough to compare them.

The reality is that they're completely different games, so its more a question of what you're looking for. Kingdom Come evokes The Elder Scrolls games with a lot of its design, even the skill system is almost identical (the more you do something the higher the skill for it will go up). Its also got a full open world. The combat is also very unique, i played the game for 46 hours and never felt like I got a good grasp of it. It definitely felt realistic and skill based so they nailed that aspect of it. That also applies to the overarching story, which has a very grounded setting and themes but at the same time that means a portion of its story and quests aren't quite as exciting as they could be. Pacing wise its very slow, i actually had no idea i played the game for 46 hours because it felt like i had barely made any progress in the main story.

Greedfall is a very different type of RPG. You can tell from the start that Dragon Age was a huge influence, the world is broken up into a bunch of smaller areas so its not a full open world, and it has a companion system similar what you'd see in DA. Its combat is very action heavy, but that aspect of it is closer to The Witcher more than anything else. You can coat your weapons with oils, set traps, theres parrying. etc. It has a 1700s colonial vibe and setting but theres a pretty large fantasy aspect to it, so its definitely not trying to be realistic. So far i've found the story and characters in general to be more interesting, but thats just because its my preferred type of storytelling and genre.

What they both have in common is the lack of polish and refinement, so expect the typical jank you'd get from european developed RPGs. But If I really were to pick one it would be Greedfall as its a lot easier to get into and I already know im going to finish it (Compared to Kingdom Come which is massive and has enough complexity to make it hard to play all the way through). But they're both still eventually worth playing regardless of which one you pick now.

Thanks for the awesome write up. I'll give Greedfall a shot.