Rumor: PlayStation 5 has a "Lockhart"

If it's true, then I really wonder what the base system specs will be?

I'm struggling to see how you make a base PS5 that's a true next gen leap, and then release a Pro version at the same time which would actually be a meaningful upgrade from that with the technology available.

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

If it's true, then I really wonder what the base system specs will be?

I'm struggling to see how you make a base PS5 that's a true next gen leap, and then release a Pro version at the same time which would actually be a meaningful upgrade from that with the technology available.

One costs what you would expect, and the other becomes another "$599 US dollars" type situation but with modern money more like $699 US dollars. 

Either that or the base system is quite weak and the "Pro" model is on level with Scarlett. The issue in all of this then becomes what was said about Lockhart had it existed. What do you do if Microsoft releases an X version of Scarlett down the line? Have 3 different computational SKU's for a PlayStation to match it? PlayStation 5, PlayStation 5 Pro, PlayStation 5 Pro Plus? It wouldn't fly, consumers would hate it and developers would lose their shit. 

I hope for Sony's sake just like I did for Microsoft's that this doesn't exist. Release one console and if the demand calls for it down the line make Pro and X variants. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
19 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

One costs what you would expect, and the other becomes another "$599 US dollars" type situation but with modern money more like $699 US dollars. 

Either that or the base system is quite weak and the "Pro" model is on level with Scarlett. The issue in all of this then becomes what was said about Lockhart had it existed. What do you do if Microsoft releases an X version of Scarlett down the line? Have 3 different computational SKU's for a PlayStation to match it? PlayStation 5, PlayStation 5 Pro, PlayStation 5 Pro Plus? It wouldn't fly, consumers would hate it and developers would lose their shit. 

I hope for Sony's sake just like I did for Microsoft's that this doesn't exist. Release one console and if the demand calls for it down the line make Pro and X variants. 

Yea, but I mean the technology just isn't there to make it demonstrably better than what I would hope the base PS5 would be.  If they gimp the base PS5 hard (8-9TFs) just to increase the appeal of the Pro, then that's a mistake imo.

It's entirely possible that 1) this rumor is BS, or 2) two skus exist but they are different in the traditional sense, which means things like storage capacity and such.

And yea, releasing a base PS5 and Pro at launch and then mid gen have another refresh would be too much.

Anyway, I'm ready for next gen to be here.

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Yea, but I mean the technology just isn't there to make it demonstrably better than what I would hope the base PS5 would be.  If they gimp the base PS5 hard (8-9TFs) just to increase the appeal of the Pro, then that's a mistake imo.

It's entirely possible that 1) this rumor is BS, or 2) two skus exist but they are different in the traditional sense, which means things like storage capacity and such.

And yea, releasing a base PS5 and Pro at launch and then mid gen have another refresh would be too much.

Anyway, I'm ready for next gen to be here.

The only way I can see this feasibly being possible was my initial speculation about a Lockhart console. The more expensive system would be a 'match' for Microsoft's console, 4K, 120 FPS all that jazz and the weaker one would be a 1080p targeting system, like minded in basically all specs except GPU capability and maybe total RAM. 

But then this dawns the question with the existing systems, what's the support hierarchy for a two SKU model? What is going to sell more from a launch window? Can you even mandate that a developer targets both? It just seems like bad news all around.

Fine for mid-generation, but at launch EcstaticShortAustralianshelduck-size_res

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

The only way I can see this feasibly being possible was my initial speculation about a Lockhart console. The more expensive system would be a 'match' for Microsoft's console, 4K, 120 FPS all that jazz and the weaker one would be a 1080p targeting system, like minded in basically all specs except GPU capability and maybe total RAM. 

But then this dawns the question with the existing systems, what's the support hierarchy for a two SKU model? What is going to sell more from a launch window? Can you even mandate that a developer targets both? It just seems like bad news all around.

Fine for mid-generation, but at launch EcstaticShortAustralianshelduck-size_res

I agree.  For a mid-gen refresh, it's fine... however at the launch of a console, they really should focus on bringing the baseline up as high as possible and multi skus with different power envelopes does nothing but add confusion to the process. 

Again though, like I said with the Lockhart rumors... if it's about a 1080p/4K+8K separation, then that's fine, as long as their marketing is on point.  Because then you're essentially telling people that the target resolution for your base PS5 would be less than the PS4 Pro.  It would confuse people.

Real talk though... nah, there's no way, even if the rumors are true, that the base PS5 will be a 1080p machine.  They aren't going back.  Dynamic res with 4K being the standard will be what they market.  I expect any Pro console would simply have a bit more power and storage.  Possibly better RT performance???  Hard to say.

I'm excited to find out what next gen will finally entail though.  Tired of the speculation. 

Apparently they took a Japanese analyst and posted it as a sourced rumor:

LOL

Nishikawa-san isn't talking about stuff he knows or he heard. He's simply speculating as he always does.

Absolutely laughable for this site to present it as a rumor or to say that Nishikawa-san is "reliable" to give credence to their crap clickbait article.

LOL, no surprise that Dynocrap is trying to run with this.  Sony isn't botching anything when it comes to their hardware.

And, Dynocrap is also trying to ret-con history. People on this forum actually said that Microsoft's chances are actually getting some sales at launch would be by releasing a cheaper model, because they can't compete with Sony head-to-head at the same price point.

No one trust Microsoft with another $500 purchase. Not after what's already happened.