The Switch version of Ori IS the definitive version of the game - better than both Xbox and PC

Keep in mind that we've been working with our engine for a good 10 years now and went through multiple releases and a sequel now. A lot of the optimizations we did for Will of the Wisps ended up in the Blind Forest version for Switch, so that was a nice side-effect.

Another thing people maybe don't notice immediately is that Ori's sprites were animated at 30fps on Xbox/PC, but for Switch we were actually able to update the animations to 60fps due to all the optimizations, so technically Ori actually even animates a bit smoother on Switch than on the other platforms :)

You can't really argue with that.  I played the demo on Switch and yea, sure enough Ori's animationa are 60fps whereas on PC/XO they are 30.  Just pressing down and jump Ori will do a backflip.  The animation is much better on Switch.

There you have it.  We'll have to wait for Ori 2 :francis:  

So not only is the Switch version a more stable framerate... it also animates 2X better than Xbox1. :mj:

How did Slow Jonny and Autistic Cop ever survive playing ORI with 30fps Animations?  YIKES!!! :holeup:

That probably was very disappointing for them :mjcry:

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

You can't really argue with that.  I played the demo on Switch and yea, sure enough Ori's animationa are 60fps whereas on PC/XO they are 30.  Just pressing down and jump Ori will do a backflip.  The animation is much better on Switch.

There you have it.  We'll have to wait for Ori 2 :francis:  

So they have already implemented Ori2 optimizations into the Switch version of Ori 1..

Ori 2 is definitely coming to Switch... definitely not day to date as Xbox/PC but it's coming. 

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

So not only is the Switch version a more stable framerate... it also animates 2X better than Xbox1. :mj:

How did Slow Jonny and Autistic Cop ever survive playing ORI with 30fps Animations?  YIKES!!! :holeup:

That probably was very disappointing for them :mjcry:

I'm sure this revelation has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft. :trump2:

8 hours ago, Goukosan said:

So they have already implemented Ori2 optimizations into the Switch version of Ori 1..

Ori 2 is definitely coming to Switch... definitely not day to date as Xbox/PC but it's coming. 

You would think so.  I doubt they're going to put the first one on there and not consider putting the sequel on as well.  But I think it will be some time before it happens if it does.

I think the plan was to put it on there, see how it goes, get more fans interested in Ori, and use it to build hype for the sequel.  I don't think there's plans beyond that, other than maybe... "we could do this if we want to" type thing.

Anyway, I think it's more of a case that the engine has been optimized greatly, and those changes reduced the footprint greatly, so thus it was possible.  Not, "We've been making Ori 2 for Switch and realized we should port the first one"..  It's just a natural progression of engine optimization.  It was probably better memory management that allowed it to happen.

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a hotfix was released.

I doubt it.  There's not much point.  Ori 2 is coming and will be the new hotness anyway.  Them being able to say the Switch version has something over the originals just helps them sell more Switch copies.

It's all good.

Much like he said in his post though, I didn't notice at first.  I always knew the originals was at 30fps but I never noticed the Switch version was smoother until I read that.  Then I went back and played it and yea.. much nicer.