Radeon Image Sharpening is pretty damn good

Obviously it cleans up a non-native render and makes it sharper in appearance but it also seems to add kind of a solid ambient occlusion to a scene in some instances. I don't know if this is unintended but it looks considerably better and there's way more depth, shadowing and the like in the first scene.

This is scaled for a 1440p display with a 1080p render, the bottom on screen appears basically native in clarity and even in the image you can see a pretty drastic increase in it.

48830047198_9c5fe06059_o.png48830088998_4a82fd859c_o.png48830667202_c48b10c0c5_o.png

This could have a lot of implications for next-gen consoles, I doubt they developed this just for their PC market. This coupled with some other rendering sorcery could really produce some insane visual fidelity at a low cost. 

3 minutes ago, lostfool said:

Yeah but is it worth the overhead on the GPU?

There is no overhead, absolutely zero performance cost. It's great because I have a 1440p monitor but not everything performs exactly as I would like. With this I can push it down to 1080p and basically be none the wiser, clarity wise it looks the same as native if not better. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
18 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

There is no overhead, absolutely zero performance cost. It's great because I have a 1440p monitor but not everything performs exactly as I would like. With this I can push it down to 1080p and basically be none the wiser, clarity wise it looks the same as native if not better. 

Oh ok then it is definitely worth it to have an image that looks as good as 1440p but without the strain.   I really hope this is implemented in next gen consoles so devs can really focus on performance.  I like games to look nice but not at the cost of framerates being all over the place or weird artifacts on visuals that are distracting.  

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

@lostfool Here's an even better example, not the same angle and the ToD is a bit off but you get the idea.

I mean it's night and day, these are both 1080p.

48830233298_5cf528b79b_o.png

Very noticeable on this image as well as the first image you posted.  

3 minutes ago, lostfool said:

Very noticeable on this image as well as the first image you posted.  

Yeah this could be a big deal for these new systems, in that same location at 1440p I'm getting like 75 FPS. So I mean that's a pretty drastic uptick in performance for an image that ends up looking essentially native. I think the best part about it though is it doesn't look like a typical blanket sharpening filter, it's doing some more intelligent form of sharpening that I can't discern.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah this could be a big deal for these new systems, in that same location at 1440p I'm getting like 75 FPS. So I mean that's a pretty drastic uptick in performance for an image that ends up looking essentially native. I think the best part about it though is it doesn't look like a typical blanket sharpening filter, it's doing some more intelligent form of sharpening that I can't discern.

However it is doing it, it looks really damn good.  I am excited with what devs can do with this tool

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It doesn't add any AO... and we know exactly how it works... It's a basic CA sharpening filter.

Whatever the hell it's doing is giving this image the appearance of added AO that was not there previous. Also regardless of what it is or is not it's modulating the amount of sharpening based upon contrast which produces the ideal look of a higher resolution even though it's not actually rendering one, it's not just a filter, it's algorithmic. 

48830047198_9c5fe06059_o.png u1ng0bW.pngSFkSs1t.png

DLSS is fucking garbage compared to this even if they're not trying to do the same thing. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
Just now, Remij_ said:

Yea no...  I don't know if these are your shots or not.. but RIS is NOT doing this....

ris2.png

ris1.png

flip between them...

One image CLEARLY has different settings than the other.... :snoop: 

They are my images and I took them back to back, both 1080p, one with RIS on and one without it on both at maximum settings. 

2 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They are my images and I took them back to back, both 1080p, one with RIS on and one without it on both at maximum settings. 

Then your shit is broken. :roll: 

The first image CLEARLY has no AO...

Changing the setting on and off in your driver is probably fucking with your image quality settings.  When you're turning it off, it's probably turning off AO in the driver, even though the game setting might say it's 'on'...

And I'm curious as to why you made all these comparisons as single pics, instead of separate which make them easier to compare?

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Then your shit is broken. :roll: 

The first image CLEARLY has no AO...

Changing the setting on and off in your driver is probably fucking with your image quality settings.  When you're turning it off, it's probably turning off AO in the driver, even though the game setting might say it's 'on'...

And I'm curious as to why you made all these comparisons as single pics, instead of separate which make them easier to compare?

Why would it turn AO off in the driver? This is a post process, it's completely unrelated. 

Also because why not? Your mouse has a scroll wheel right? It's condensing uploads. 

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Why would it turn AO off in the driver? This is a post process, it's completely unrelated. 

Also because why not? Your mouse has a scroll wheel right? It's condensing uploads. 

I dunno, but something is clearly fucked.. because your AO in the first picture is not working.

And I already stated why.. it makes them easier to compare... flipping back and forth between tabs.  Lmao condensing uploads..

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I dunno, but something is clearly fucked.. because your AO in the first picture is not working.

And I already stated why.. it makes them easier to compare... flipping back and forth between tabs.  Lmao condensing uploads..

You're right, something was fucked up. Corrected, and I have separated them for you.

48830386073_15c18e9b35_o.png

48830930477_169d61a3ae_o.png

48830930807_044d43e99e_o.png

48830762366_fee7ce04b3_o.png

48830385763_1f3156ee29_o.png

48830385273_a9f2ed8dd1_o.png