Wired: PS4 cross-play officially out of beta, will support any title that has the functionality

For those that care.

"Which makes growth the magic word—and which is why PlayStation Now improvements aren't even the only move Sony is making, despite handily winning the sales battle this console generation. While it's not announcing the news explicitly, the PS4's cross-play efforts have officially moved out of the beta stage, meaning that the console can support cross-play on any titles that studios provide the functionality for. This month's Modern Warfare may be the first major title to take advantage of it at launch, and likely won't be the last. "The track record of the incumbent platform winning the next time around is not a great one," Jim Ryan says. "So the major thrust of my executive energy is to avoid complacency." "

Edited by Team 2019

They know they have to change and adjust, it's not even about hardware sales anymore. I mean that's still important but user experience is of the utmost importance. You don't want your community feeling left out not only from services but also their friends wherever they may be playing. 

It seems like the old guard is being flushed which explains layden leaving.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

They know they have to change and adjust, it's not even about hardware sales anymore. I mean that's still important but user experience is of the utmost importance. You don't want your community feeling left out not only from services but also their friends wherever they may be playing. 

It's a fairly unimportant feature that they just want to avoid negative PR for at this point.

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's not unimportant at all, the modern warfare beta has shown how truly important it actually is. It's better for everyone.

I thought cross play stats overall are pretty abysmal. It is however a nice feature imo, my friends are PC gamers.

Especially for games with small communities.

Edited by Team 2019
Just now, Team 2019 said:

I thought cross play stats overall are pretty abysmal. It is however a nice feature imo, my friends are PC gamers.

Where are you deriving this from? All the games using it have millions upon millions of players. My guess is Minecraft will now finally get updated for PS4.

1 hour ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Why do you always conflate shit that has nothing to do with this?   The cross play thing has been the works for over a year.... it didn't just crystallized Today... lol

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Where are you deriving this from? All the games using it have millions upon millions of players. My guess is Minecraft will now finally get updated for PS4.

Minecraft is a different situation... that requires an MS account.  Sony won't allow that. 

54 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Minecraft is a different situation... that requires an MS account.  Sony won't allow that. 

I wouldn't be so sure, it says it's open to any studios which makes it available. You need a third party account for Fortnite, what's the delineation here? Microsoft is a platform holder and competition?

Any game on PSN or otherwise that isn't first party is competition for Sony's own games.

2 hours ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I wouldn't be so sure, it says it's open to any studios which makes it available. You need a third party account for Fortnite, what's the delineation here? Microsoft is a platform holder and competition?

Any game on PSN or otherwise that isn't first party is competition for Sony's own games.

Epic is not a platform holder.  XBL is in direct competition with PSN.  Sony doesn't want its PSN users creating XBL accounts on PlayStation.