Whats a good future proof PC in October 2019?

I need a new one. Are AMD and Nvidia still better for gaming performance?

Is the difference between the i7 and i9 the same as the i5 and i7 used to be? I.e you only need the cheaper option?

How much ram and vram do the most demanding games use?

Edited by TLHBO
  • Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a 1200 dollar video card and being trolled into doing 1080p benchmarks LOL

Well here's the biggest question before we can even start, what's your financial, performance and resolution target?

2 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Well future proof aside from GPU.

everything else normally lasts years

For this gen games I wouldnt get anything less than a 2070 or whatever equivalent and has .

If you want to not upgrade cpu next gen I'd get ths best cpu available now .

16bg ram is fine for now , vram at 1080p I haven't had any game top out my 2060s 6gb

Or ask remij 

28 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I'd definitely make an effort to wait until Spring 2020, if you can.

My PC died today. Not sure if its the HDD or Windows being windows :shrug:

Either way its fucked and I’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while. Surprised how long my i5 carried me.

Just dont know what I need in regards to motherboard and things.

No cases these days seem to support dvd drives :jonb:

12 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well here's the biggest question before we can even start, what's your financial, performance and resolution target?

sounds about right. if one is fine with 1080p, i would imagine a solid cpu/16g of ram, and 2060 are fine for a few years. 

16 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Up in the air.

Is the i7 9700 worth buying? Looks top notch in benchmarks, but not as inflated as the 9900

Is 2400mhz DDR4 good? Or is 3000 and higher needed? Do all i7 motherboards support the higher speeds?

2 hours ago, TLHBO said:

I need a new one. Are AMD and Nvidia still better for gaming performance?

Is the difference between the i7 and i9 the same as the i5 and i7 used to be? I.e you only need the cheaper option?

How much ram and vram do the most demanding games use?

AMD is better gaming for both CPU and GPU if you are shopping on a budget.  

$200 can get you the best 6 core 12 thread CPU on the market the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU that includes a Wraith Stealth cooler.  

Accompany that with a X570 Gaming Plus motherboard for $170 that supports PCI Gen 4 you will have a board that is going to be compatible for sometime.

If you got cash to throw away, Nvidia will definitely take your money with their current GeForce cards RTX 2080 Super ($700) and RTX 2080 Ti ($1200), those GPUs are in worlds of their own as there are not AMD GPUs available that match it yet. 

Budget wise, on AMD side you can invest in a reference RX 5700XT Anniversary card that goes for $449, that will get you GTX 1080 TI performance.   

41 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Up in the air.

Is the i7 9700 worth buying? Looks top notch in benchmarks, but not as inflated as the 9900

Is 2400mhz DDR4 good? Or is 3000 and higher needed? Do all i7 motherboards support the higher speeds?

It's really hard to give a straight answer without a resolution target. I wouldn't recommend the same things for a 1080p, 1440p or 4K target. I would look into AMD for CPU honestly, Intel is having more issues with security which in turn to fix them is causing performance losses over time not to mention you're paying considerably more for less. 

2400 is slow for DDR4, that's fast for DDR3. I would try to go for 3000+ but it all depends on the board, you just have to make sure it has the support. 

1 hour ago, TLHBO said:

My PC died today. Not sure if its the HDD or Windows being windows :shrug:

Either way its fucked and I’ve been wanting to upgrade for a while. Surprised how long my i5 carried me.

Just dont know what I need in regards to motherboard and things.

No cases these days seem to support dvd drives :jonb:

As a Hermit you should be able to rip apart the pc and troublehshoot the thing.  Are you getting anything on screen at all.. Any errors?

If you're not sure then you should just get X. :smokie:

Edited by Spicalicious
26 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

AMD is better gaming for both CPU and GPU if you are shopping on a budget.  

$200 can get you the best 6 core 12 thread CPU on the market the Ryzen 5 3600 CPU that includes a Wraith Stealth cooler.  

Accompany that with a X570 Gaming Plus motherboard for $170 that supports PCI Gen 4 you will have a board that is going to be compatible for sometime.

If you got cash to throw away, Nvidia will definitely take your money with their current GeForce cards RTX 2080 Super ($700) and RTX 2080 Ti ($1200), those GPUs are in worlds of their own as there are not AMD GPUs available that match it yet. 

Budget wise, on AMD side you can invest in a reference RX 5700XT Anniversary card that goes for $449, that will get you GTX 1080 TI performance.   

Its all science fiction talk to me.

Intel has more cores but amd has more threads?

whats the difference?

intel had higher framerates in benchmarks, though amd was using less of the cpu

do the threads matter? I just figure it sounds like intel squeezes out a fee more fps. 

26 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

It's really hard to give a straight answer without a resolution target. I wouldn't recommend the same things for a 1080p, 1440p or 4K target. I would look into AMD for CPU honestly, Intel is having more issues with security which in turn to fix them is causing performance losses over time not to mention you're paying considerably more for less. 

2400 is slow for DDR4, that's fast for DDR3. I would try to go for 3000+ but it all depends on the board, you just have to make sure it has the support. 

Well i was wanting to go 1440p or 4k when I upgrade.

since its been rushed though, I’ll say 1080p with the option to go 1440p 60fps max settings next year

3000+ sounds good. 2400 seems to be the minimum so might as well go higher

14 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Its all science fiction talk to me.

Intel has more cores but amd has more threads?

whats the difference?

intel had higher framerates in benchmarks, though amd was using less of the cpu

do the threads matter? I just figure it sounds like intel squeezes out a fee more fps. 

AMD CPUs have more cores/threads the Intels have better IPCs.   

So take a 8 core i7-9700K ($408) vs  8 core / 16 thread  Ryzen 7 3700X ($329) , the i7-9700K is going to provide slighter better fps numbers in certain games but over-all the Ryzen 7 with 16 processing threads will be able to do a lot multiple tasks at the same time, and still be beneficial for games that are multi-core CPU heavy. 

Same with the 6 core i5-9600K ($240) vs Ryzen 5 3600 ($200) 6 core / 12 threads ,  there will be a light higher IPC in certain games but overall the Ryzen 5 12 threads will be the all around better purchase. 

Edited by The Mother Fucker