Whats a good future proof PC in October 2019?

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Why you gotta lie?

Nvidia Freestyle doesn't have contrast adaptive sharpening so it just applies sharpening to the entire scene even where it's not needed which results in artifact blowouts.

ShadowPlay and ReLive are effectually identical. 

Who gives a shit about RTX on half-capable GPU's?

I'm not lying.  Nvidia's new algorithm is actually BETTER than AMDs... and not only that.. it works across DX9/10/11/12 and Vulkan games... AND you can tell it to ignore film grain.. AND you can adjust it's strength.

ShadowPlay is much better than ReLive.. and Nvidia's encoder in their RTX cards is far superior.  ReLive is garbage.   I mean who even talks about ReLive :D 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having a 1200 dollar video card and being trolled into doing 1080p benchmarks LOL

Well here's the biggest question before we can even start, what's your financial, performance and resolution target?

7 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

But why ryzen over i7?

amd looked worse off in benchmarks but everyone here keeps recommending it. Im not sure what im missing

Here's the thing... Ryzen KILLS Intel when it comes to multi core performance in applications.  It's overall a better CPU.  Many games will perform better with more cores, and that's expected to be more relevant than ever in the near future.  So it's better to have those cores now... and you're also saving money.

Then you have to ask yourself... is 90fp vs 103fps REALLY that much different?  If you're someone targeting a mid ranged PC... you're likely someone who's happy if you can reach a stable 60fps across most games.  When you're already getting 30 or so FPS above that... does that extra 7-10fps really matter?

To some people yes... but you have to ask YOURSELF if you really care.

I would take the money saved off the CPU and put it towards a better GPU or more RAM, or an SSD.  Plainly put... an SSD is mandatory.  Don't even bother buying a PC if you're not going to get an SSD with it.

Edited by Remij_

I only use freestyle for Dead by daylight otherwise everyone picks the dark skinned/clothed character and hides in a bush :patrice:

but i dont know if I could play without it. Its that bad lol

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Here's the thing... Ryzen KILLS Intel when it comes to multi core performance in applications.  It's overall a better CPU.  Many games will perform better with more cores, and that's expected to be more relevant than ever in the near future.  So it's better to have those cores now... and you're also saving money.

Then you have to ask yourself... is 90fp vs 103fps REALLY that much different?  If you're someone targeting a mid ranged PC... you're likely someone who's happy if you can reach a stable 60fps across most games.  When you're already getting 30 or so FPS above that... does that extra 7-10fps really matter?

To some people yes... but you have to ask YOURSELF if you really care.

I would take the money saved off the CPU and put it towards a better GPU or more RAM, or an SSD.  Plainly put... an SSD is mandatory.  Don't even bother buying a PC if you're not going to get an SSD with it.

What cpu you rocking at the moment?

Just now, TLHBO said:

What cpu you rocking at the moment?

A 6700K.  It's an old CPU, but still pretty potent for gaming.

The other thing, is that the higher the resolution, the less all these CPUs will differ.  At 4K, you're usually GPU bottlenecked.. so that extra CPU power isn't doing anything.  However it should be stated that depending on the game, CPUs with lower core counts might stutter where CPUs with higher core counts wont.  Some games prefer higher clock speeds, others prefer cores

The Ryzen 3700X basically checks off all the boxes.  It's fast.. it has lots of cores.  It performs really well in games.. and it's relatively cheap.  It's also the same CPU architecture that next gen consoles will use.

That's my pick for CPU. 

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

A 6700K.  It's an old CPU, but still pretty potent for gaming.

The other thing, is that the higher the resolution, the less all these CPUs will differ.  At 4K, you're usually GPU bottlenecked.. so that extra CPU power isn't doing anything.  However it should be stated that depending on the game, CPUs with lower core counts might stutter where CPUs with higher core counts wont.  Some games prefer higher clock speeds, others prefer cores

The Ryzen 3700X basically checks off all the boxes.  It's fast.. it has lots of cores.  It performs really well in games.. and it's relatively cheap.  It's also the same CPU architecture that next gen consoles will use.

That's my pick for CPU. 

I guess if the hermlord has one then it cant be bad. Looks a hell of a lot cheaper too.

whats difference between ssd and m.2 ssd when choosing a pc?

do you also have a hdd in your pc too?

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'm not lying.  Nvidia's new algorithm is actually BETTER than AMDs... and not only that.. it works across DX9/10/11/12 and Vulkan games... AND you can tell it to ignore film grain.. AND you can adjust it's strength.

ShadowPlay is much better than ReLive.. and Nvidia's encoder in their RTX cards is far superior.  ReLive is garbage.   I mean who even talks about ReLive :D 

You're absolutely lying, and it's supported across all API's because it doesn't do any type of independent adjustment within a scene and simply applies it to the whole. You're also not addressing the performance loss which is counter-intuitive as basically its entire purpose is to eek out more performance from a lower resolution or through heavy AA while maintaining clarity and gaining or maintaining performance. 

Rbm45t9.png

1XVVJZt.jpg 

F0WMFGE.png

ShadowPlay has essentially identical results to ReLive, there's no discernible encoding or performative difference between the two. I don't even understand why you're trying to fall on this sword. It's dumb, in your idiot flag worshipping head you only want something to win, near identical isn't enough.

Nvidiot's :mj:

1 minute ago, TLHBO said:

I guess if the hermlord has one then it cant be bad. Looks a hell of a lot cheaper too.

whats difference between ssd and m.2 ssd when choosing a pc?

do you also have a hdd in your pc too?

To be clear, I'm not telling you to get a 6700K.  Don't do that... you'll regret it.  lol  Get the Ryzen 3700X.

Normal SSDs use the SATA3 interface.. which usually tops out at around 550MB/s.  M.2 is simply a different form factor.  They're basically little RAM like sticks that you plug directly into your motherboard instead of the typical drive.  They can come in SATA3 and NVMe interfaces which perform vastly different.   The SATA3 versions will perform identical to their non-m.2 counterparts... but the NVMe versions can transfer up to 3500+MB/s... 

So they're much faster... but it's hard to say at how it's going to affect games.  Considering the next gen consoles are going to have extremely advanced storage... I would get an NVMe for future-proofing.

I do have a HDD in my PC yes.  I use it for media and emulation mostly.

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You're absolutely lying, and it's supported across all API's because it doesn't do any type of independent adjustment within a scene and simply applies it to the whole. You're also not addressing the performance loss which is counter-intuitive as basically its entire purpose is to eek out more performance from a lower resolution or through heavy AA while maintaining clarity and gaining or maintaining performance. 

ShadowPlay has essentially identical results to ReLive, there's no discernible encoding or performative difference between the two. I don't even understand why you're trying to fall on this sword. It's dumb, in your idiot flag worshipping head you only want something to win, near identical isn't enough.

Nvidiot's :mj:

No I'm not.  I don't lie about this shit.  I give the facts.  Nvidia's algorithm certainly looks better... and is adjustable... and works in more games.

And your point about it being supported across all APIs because it doesn't do any independent adjustment is bullshit.  RIS is open source.  The code is ALREADY integrated into Reshade... which works across all APIs... so yea.. that's completely wrong.

And the performance loss isn't due to the image sharpening algorithm alone... it's because to enable it you have to enable the overlay.. which comes with it's own performance hit.. whereas RIS is a simple driver switch... there's no overlay.

And that brings me to the fact that the slight performance hit to Freestyle comes with the ability for more customization.  Hardware Unboxed even confirms that RIS oversharpens certain games too much and you can't adjust it.  It's a blanket filter and affects many games negatively depending on the content.  Freestyle can be chosen PER GAME, and the strength can be adjusted... AND you can add other filters on top of that.

And no, Shadowplay is better than ReLive.  There's a reason why Streamers are buying RTX gpus simply for the decoder... Not to mention RTX now is coming with more features.

Don't get all pissy because I'm telling facts.

30 minutes ago, TLHBO said:

Really?

I mean I had a 3tb drive before. Only used 2tb. Installed/uninstalled games but that was about it.

might give it a try then. Is it still trendy to have a hdd as a back up? And just use ssd for operating system and open world games?

Yeah, SSDs are going to be obsolete before you run out of write cycles.

The Google data centre in Toronto did a six year study with the University of Toronto and only had 20% of their drives develop errors within the first 4 years. Between 30 and 83% of the drives, depending on model, encountered between 2 and 4 bad sectors, but that's just lost capacity in the event that it can't be repaired. And those are circa 2010 SSDs in the biggest data centre in Canada. Modern, albeit less academic, studies peg the failure and bad sector rate significantly lower.

I have an 8GB HDD for my media and games I'm not really playing, but don't want to re-download due to shit internet. It's nice to just have space you can just throw stuff on and not care about.

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Except that's bullshit.

Nvidia released a driver which improved FH4 performance by up to 20%....

See how in Hardware Unboxed video it shows the 2070Super at 124fps at 1080p Ultra.... and now.. it's 124fps... at 1440p Ultra... and it's essentially tied with the 5700XT?  And you can't say it's different because they use the EXACT same built in benchmark.

So yea no... the 5700XT ain't taking out shit :mj: 

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

No you didn't.  Posting what something WAS is not posting what something IS...

How the hell am I the one that is being disingenuous?  You PURPOSEFULLY attempted to post disingenuous and false information as if it was how it currently performed compared to the competition in that game.  You made no mention of Nvidia releasing a driver that improved performance drastically since that Hardware Unboxed video was made...

Jesus. :mj: 

elaine_benes.gif

Not so fast.  

Look what I found a more accurate comparison video.  How are you going to introduce a video with no 1080p benchmark.  

Look at the average of that 2070 Super,  it's just getting a measly 134fps average at 1080p.   Sure that's up 30 pts by what Steve of Hardware Unboxed scored it back in July. 

But look what I can get with my GPU,  160 fps average bitch.   :loldance:

forza4horizon.png

tenor.gif?itemid=5047265

21 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

elaine_benes.gif

Not so fast.  

Look what I found a more accurate comparison video.  How are you going to introduce a video with no 1080p benchmark.  

Look at the average of that 2070 Super,  it's just getting a measly 134fps average at 1080p.   Sure that's up 30 pts by what Steve of Hardware Unboxed scored it back in July. 

But look what I can get with my GPU,  160 fps average bitch.   :loldance:

Where is the indication that he's using the built in benchmark and not a section of the game world that he's showing in his video?? 

Your CPU is faster... and your GPU is the overclocked variant.... :roll:  

Run your benchmark at 1440p and then compare it to the 1440p results that I posted... because the 1440p results in that video YOU posted show ~20fps less.

Edited by Remij_
6 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

a fitting comparison considering the RTX 2070 Super is a enhanced variant of the RTX 2070.  

I don't have a 1440p, or 4K gimmick display so what you see is what you get.  

It's not fitting.  Your CPU is completely different.. and your GPU is overclocked.  You can't compare it to that.  You saying "He got X and I got Y" isn't fitting because your systems are completely different.  He's testing both GPUs on the same GPU.

And the 2070S isn't an overclocked 2070...  The 2070S CAN be overclocked you know...... so no.. it's not fitting.

And this is all a FAR WAYS AWAY from the BULLSHIT post you tried making... with Hardware Unboxed old assed benchmark.  Glad we cleared THAT up.

You don't have a 1440p or 4K display?  :pffft:

13 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's not fitting.  Your CPU is completely different.. and your GPU is overclocked.  You can't compare it to that.  You saying "He got X and I got Y" isn't fitting because your systems are completely different.  He's testing both GPUs on the same GPU.

And the 2070S isn't an overclocked 2070...  The 2070S CAN be overclocked you know...... so no.. it's not fitting.

And this is all a FAR WAYS AWAY from the BULLSHIT post you tried making... with Hardware Unboxed old assed benchmark.  Glad we cleared THAT up.

You don't have a 1440p or 4K display?  :pffft:

You don't seem to notice he's using different CPUs with different GPUs too.   Anyways, why don't you post your own benchmark like I did.  You got a PC with a RTX 2080 Ti.  

9 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

You don't seem to notice he's using different CPUs with different GPUs too.   Anyways, why don't you post your own benchmark like I did.  You got a PC with a RTX 2080 Ti.  

I noticed.

My CPU completely bottlenecks my GPU at 1080p....  That's not showing which GPU performs better.  Bumping up the resolution solves that...

Wel thanks for the input guys. I figure I’ll give SSDs a try this time.

Still not sure about cpu 99fps vs 103 doesn’t matter, but down the line 50fps vs 60fps would be a difference. Looking up there isnt much price difference between the 3700x and 9700k.

Think I might try that 5700 card. Looks like it performs solid. As I said I might just stick to 1080p for now, then go to 1440 when next years cards are out. 4k sounds nice but I’d rather have max settings 60fps. 

Basically I want the most of the pc to last for a while, aside from gpu which seem to evolve so rapidly theres no point spending lots of money on it.