Steam just keeps shitting on EGS and its barebones fuckery

Features > Virtue signaling for publisher cuts

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/steams-new-remote-play-together-feature-will-allow-all-local-multiplayer-games-to-work-over-the-internet/

Valve has announced that it will be adding a new feature to Steam, called Remote Play Together. This feature will allow local multiplayer and co-op games to work over the Internet. As such, PC gamers will be able to play with their friends online the games that were not supporting online play previous (but obviously had support for local MP play).

Best part is only one person needs to own the game...

2 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

That's pretty cool. Kind of like A Way Out.

You could technically play A Way Out online now if it were on Steam with this whereas before it was only local co-op. Hell, Cuphead is on Steam, that can be played online now with this. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!
4 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

You could technically play A Way Out online now if it were on Steam with this whereas before it was only local co-op. 

Really? The fuck... I played it on PS4 and my friend didn't even have to buy it, just download it and we were playing co-op online remotely.

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

Really? The fuck... I played it on PS4 online and my friend didn't even have to buy it, just download it and we were playing co-op online remotely.

Well that is via Shareplay I assume but the issue there is Sony constraints your time. 

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well that is via Shareplay I assume but the issue there is Sony constraints your time. 

It's not Share Play. Share Play is where someone takes control of your game remotely like Remote Play for upto an hour(?), but they don't require the game. A Way Out on PS4 at least, allows one person to purchase the game, send an invite where the other player is directed to download the game, and then play online co-op together. No strings attached. We played the whole game.. it was about 5-6 hours.

Edited by lynux3
1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

It's not Share Play. Share Play is where someone takes control of your game remotely like Remote Play for upto an hour(?), but they don't require the game. A Way Out on PS4 at least, allows one person to purchase the game, send an invite where the other player is directed to download the game, and then play online co-op together. No strings attached. We played the whole.. it was about 5-6 hours.

I thought that game was entirely couch co-op?

5 hours ago, JONBpc said:

I would say they have full control over it.

The email mentions the ability to opt out for the beta, so it seems so. Remote play, Proton, etc. are client wide features that extend to even non-Steam games added to the library, so who knows, though.

5 hours ago, JONBpc said:

And no I dont thi I they would be happy that peoppe are playing the games , for free.

It's splitscreen co-op over the internet. Stadia's Crowd Play is going to do it, PS4's SharePlay has done it for years (with a stream restart required every 60 minutes), people have been using Parsec to do it unofficially on PC for years, and Unity is building the functionality directly into their rendering engine.

Devs of short single player games probably aren't going to like it, so there really should be an opt out feature like the beta and SharePlay have. It's an awesome feature for the local only co-op games it's targeting, though, and developers have thrown their support behind mods and workarounds to make online co-op happen due to the small dev teams and the tools available making support of it themselves a tall task.

It's an awesome feature.