PS5 to be backwards compatible with more than just PS4?

https://podbay.fm/podcast/1159170164/e/1570816543

Patrick Klepek: "Everything I’ve heard about the PS5, this is going back full 2 years now - has been a huge emphasis on ‘history’ and that it’s going to be the sort of thing where it’s not just about the future, but also about the past; that means your ability to play lots of those games."

The rumor for PS5 being delayed in the first place was due to BC. Would make sense since it was PlayStation's 25th anniversary this year.

Edited by lynux3

I wouldn't get your hopes up, they're trying to ensure PS4 backward compatibility right now which would have been the priority from square one, and they're just doing that now...

It may be some PS1 and PS2 emulation stuff but PS3 is probably not in the cards, and if these things aren't licensed and available for digital purchase it's :deader: in the water.

42 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up, they're trying to ensure PS4 backward compatibility right now which would have been the priority from square one, and they're just doing that now...

It may be some PS1 and PS2 emulation stuff but PS3 is probably not in the cards, and if these things aren't licensed and available for digital purchase it's :deader: in the water.

PS3 emulation is more than possible at this point. Just depends if the effort is put in to make it happen

5 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Sounds like something another console already does :reg:

Yeah, the OG PS3 did it with PS1, PS2, and PSP. So the emulators are there, just a matter of porting. I doubt PS3 emulation will be a thing unless it's on a per title basis.

Speaking of backwards compatibility... the DS5 is apparently quite similar to the DS4..  It will keep the track pad as well as the stupid light bar.

Aza.. I thought it was going to be a split controller and double as a VR input:mj: 

Just now, -GD- said:

eh, i never use backwards compatibility on my  one x. So ps4 bc is more than enough. Unlike MS, Sony will continue to crank out award-winning exclusives.

Honestly it's better to just get 4K 60fps remasters with improvements in general. But BC for PS3 would be nice due to some niche games.

PS2 shit legit has all sorts of be control schemes and other crap from 2001 that needs to be nuked and redone. Timesplitters 3 trilogy as an example. Fuck emulating the PS2. Legit remasters.