World of Tanks adds Ray Traced shadows - Runs on all DX11 hardware (neat informative video inside)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^exactly   Devs will be smart about it.  It's not going to completely change the image at first... it's going to be the subtle things.  Shadows might look "similar" but what they will be is

Whatever. who could tell?  You posted a bunch of bullshit from 4 different setups...   Anyway... his hit from RT isn't as big as yours was.    You're ~35K RT off, and ~20K RT on.

11 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

So what's the performance cost?

I dunno.  The benchmark just gives you a score and doesn't give you framerate details.  Maybe I'll run it in a bit and see more or less how much it drops.

Edited by Remij_

i look forward to raytracing becoming the norm. i'm sure devs will find clever, efficient ways to use it. remember when soft shadows were introduced in f.e.a.r.? that shit would cut your framerate in half. 

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

i look forward to raytracing becoming the norm. i'm sure devs will find clever, efficient ways to use it. remember when soft shadows were introduced in f.e.a.r.? that shit would cut your framerate in half. 

^exactly

Devs will be smart about it.  It's not going to completely change the image at first... it's going to be the subtle things.  Shadows might look "similar" but what they will be is consistent.. and not show all the scaling artifacts and alignment issues that traditional shadow maps will have.  You know.. the jagged stair-stepping edges that crawl.. and with RT shadows, you can show shadows for finer detail geometries... which traditional methods would likely miss because shadow map scaling.

What it's going to do is help everything sit and feel more grounded in the scene.  The more powerful hardware gets, and the more they can do this stuff the more cohesive and believable looking things will become.  After a while... people will look at the old methods and see nothing but terrible artifacts and loss of detail.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The hilarious thing about that graph is that AMD's APUs are included.  Nvidia is destroying them in the dGPU market. :kaz: 

So what you're telling me is that AMD is still outselling NVIDIA? :cmpunk1:

Just now, Remij_ said:

Not to PC gamers they aren't.  People who GAME on PC... overwhelmingly choose Nvidia.  :trump: 

SO WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME IS THAT AMD'S GPU SHIPMENTS ARE HIGHER THAN NVIDIA'S GPU SHIPMENTS? :jonb:

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

I scored nearly 1/3 of what you did with a GPU at 1/4 the price that doesn't have any hardware to accelerate the RT.

:yeshrug:

Vega's are going for $350-450.  You can get a 2080ti for $1100.

So your cards worth a 3rd that mine is... and you get a 3rd of the performance.... and neither are using any hardware to accelerate RT.  :roll: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Vega's are going for $350-450.  You can get a 2080ti for $1100.

So your cards worth a 3rd that mine is... and you get a 3rd of the performance.... and neither are using any hardware to accelerate RT.  :roll: 

Is that a fact? Disable the RT and run the benchmark again and let's see how much the ratio diverges. 

Just now, lynux3 said:

SO WHAT YOU'RE TELLING ME IS THAT AMD'S GPU SHIPMENTS ARE HIGHER THAN NVIDIA'S GPU SHIPMENTS? :jonb:

Yes... probably sitting unused in warehouses because people are buying Intel CPUs and Nvidia GPUs :juggle: