World of Tanks adds Ray Traced shadows - Runs on all DX11 hardware (neat informative video inside)

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

That's not what I think.. it's a fact that the game uses them.  What we're trying to figure out is how much or little it can make a difference...  It would help.... if you actually ran at the same settings as we did.

Since I can't run the same resolution as you, I'm better position with 4 desktops and various similar setups to test the theory, and so far it does not look like CPU is making much a difference.  

IMO, it looks like the Turing GPU is well optimized for RT than the rest.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

^exactly   Devs will be smart about it.  It's not going to completely change the image at first... it's going to be the subtle things.  Shadows might look "similar" but what they will be is

Whatever. who could tell?  You posted a bunch of bullshit from 4 different setups...   Anyway... his hit from RT isn't as big as yours was.    You're ~35K RT off, and ~20K RT on.

6 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

Since I can't run the same resolution as you, I'm better position with 4 desktops and various similar setups to test the theory, and so far it does not look like CPU is making much a difference.  

IMO, it looks like the Turing GPU is well optimized for RT than the rest.  

Well, I guess the CPU is only going to help you to a point.. then you're pretty much GPU bound regardless.

As I said though.. this is a very limited in scope implementation.  It's only being used for the shadows of the tanks.. nothing else.  It's much easier on the hardware because they know the position of the light source (the sun) and only have to trace pixels from the ground around the tank back to the light source.  It's extremely simplistic, compared to the things Nvidia and RTX developers have been working on.  That's not a knock against it.. it's just a fact.

There's no light bouncing here.. like Metro's global illumination which needs to calculate rays bouncing across ALL objects in the scene.. not just some.  And Metro has tons of dynamic objects in the scene.. and not to mention it looks far better in general.  This demo has a single light source casting shadows.  It's similar in the way it works to that Crytek RT demo they made.  That only used mirror reflections... any other diffused surface would not reflect anything.  A mirror reflection is easy because you know exactly where the ray is travelling.  A diffused or rough surface would cause the rays to have to be bounced in all sorts of directions and doing that math is far harder.  It's still very impressive.. but Metro's DLC for example has multiple dynamic emissive lights of all colors casting rays out into the scene coloring, shading, blending and bouncing.  It's FAR more technically demanding.. and you can begin to see why they can't use the CPU for that and why GPU acceleration is necessary.

It's why Control's RT is so impressive.  It's using multiple effects all at once and performance is still really good considering that.  RT Shadows, RT Ambient Occlusion, RT Reflections, RT Indirect Diffused lighting... ect.

3 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

:facep:  are you blind?

I did a benchmark for every scenario.  

Whatever. who could tell?  You posted a bunch of bullshit from 4 different setups...

Anyway... his hit from RT isn't as big as yours was. 

You're ~35K RT off, and ~20K RT on.

He's ~30K RT off, and ~20K RT on.

Since you edited to mean your 1660ti... that's because you're GPU limited.

Edited by Remij_
  • Upvote 1