The Witcher 3 Switch GS review- 9

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Look at that.  Gamespot says the docked version is trash.  Just like Digital Foundry and myself.

Nobody recommends playing this game docked on the Switch :tom: 

Which means they said that this port was a success as a handheld experience, which alot of people want.

In fact, it was what they conveyed in their initial reveal trailer for Switch, as the image panned out to the handheld screen.

The WHOLE PICTURE explains the 9 review score.:blessed:

1007 times.

Just now, Voidler said:

Lmao sheep actually bragging about missing out on a 10

Actually, its worth bragging because this is one of the most impossible scenarios that anybody would imagien for Switch, and as played as a handheld, the port succeeds.

Witcher 3 is entirely playable, with all features, and all content, on a device running at 6 watts on the go. That's nothing short of ridiculous.

Like 8 years ago, a game like Street Fighter 4 being ported to the 3DS was considered a success, and that game had alot more compromises done to it than this.

• Like 1

It's a shame it's such a terrible docked mode experience.  That means the game is a worse experience half the time.

Which is ironic... because the docked mode should be the better experience considering more hardware resources are available to it.

Makes me think if so much difference between docked mode and portable mode, they should really do separate reviews for each mode!  They aren't going to do that though... which I guess means they are presenting their information with lowered standards across the board.   It's a shameful thing :francis: 

• Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's a shame it's such a terrible docked mode experience.  That means the game is a worse experience half the time.

Which is ironic... because the docked mode should be the better experience considering more hardware resources are available to it.

Makes me think if so much difference between docked mode and portable mode, they should really do separate reviews for each mode!  They aren't going to do that though... which I guess means they are presenting their information with lowered standards across the board.   It's a shameful thing :francis: 

They seem to explain both experiences, and then their score is derived from all of that, together.

Unless you are questioning their eyesight ability when viewing the game on the same type of LCD screen that every Switch has.

But, even if we consider the possibility of different reviewers having different quality of eyesight, two completely different outlets, Digital Foundry and Gamespot, tell us that the handheld experience looks crisp enough on that screen.

I can't say, but it sure does seem like the developer porting the game might've prioritized the handheld experience. Wouldn't be the first time, alot of people said that about Rocket League when that came out on Switch.

If the Switch we just a pure handheld, and the game came out like that, it would probably be getting alot of praise. I keep on going back to think about the other times a "handheld port" of a "large game" got praised, and think about how much they needed to comprimise to get that game on a handheld.

Like Gamespot's review of Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper for Gameboy Advance comes to mind. I remember Greg Kasavin providing context on just how "mindblowing" it was to bring this experience on the go. The review is awfully positive for its 8.4 score

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/street-fighter-alpha-3-review/1900-2901996/

(Mind you, the screenshots on this webpage has been ridiculously enlarged, they're supposed to be smaller screens)

I played that game on GBA. They had to compromise quite a bit of things across the board. Sound, backgrounds are entirely altered with almost no animation. All of it to try and keep the two characters on-screen as close to the original as possible.

The Witcher 3 being completely portable with practically all features intact is just insane.

2 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

The game is asoild 7.5. I dont get the obsession with it.

Used to think that when the game came out, mainly because of the wonky combat.

Then one day I woke up and was like, damn I have to replay it, and started sucking less combat wise to me.

I even did the noonwraith quest in my first try, when I was stumped for hours back when I got it.

The reason why I couldn't get used to the game was because I was in Skyrim mode, thinking I had the chance to spam anything with the same weapon and tactic.

But Witcher is much different.

You have to actually, research the enemy, and then apply oils and fight in a defensive posture.

After that, the game got more enjoyable, especially the story is the best thing from it.

• Upvote 1
On 2019-10-16 at 10:35 AM, Team 2019 said:

The game is asoild 7.5. I dont get the obsession with it.

The gameplay has all sorts of flaws you could nitpick but story telling wise it's one of the best game this gen no doubt, it stuck to people's minds and for a good reason. 

That's what blow my mind, I see it all the time in the Witcher subreddit.

There are people replaying through the main campaign on NG+ for like the third time.  Apparently Witcher 3 has high replayability for an open world game.