Playstation controller patent suggests it can connect directly to a server without connecting to a client device

A new patent discovered by German website Techtastic, however, suggests the Dualshock 5 (or whatever it ends up being called) could signify a huge shift to cloud gaming for the PS4's upcoming successor, revealing a controller that connects directly over the internet, and not to the PS5 itself.

The patent, filed a few weeks ago by Sony through the World Intellectual Property Organization, describes a "a controller device for user interactivity with a server of a cloud gaming system is provided", accompanied by a sketch showing the user connecting their controller to the console remotely through an online server.

"The controller device communicates directly to an access device for connection to a network that connects the controller device to the server without connecting to a client device", reads the patent, "wherein the server receives and processes the inputs to render gameplay video that is transmitted over the network for rendering to a display device that is local to the controller device."
Gamesradar

Just like I had said in the Stadia thread.

Seems like they're going to put an emphasis on PS Now being on other devices in addition to PC and PS4/5.

This could be a patent for a different version of the Dualshock 5 that will be sold independently than the controller that comes with a PS5.

For starters, that controller would need to be WiFi in order to connect to a local wifi to connect to the cloud server.

Very doubtful that a PS5 would intentionally have their controllers be WiFi controllers, or have both WiFi and Bluetooth. That would also mean that the PS5 would need a dual Wifi radio to connect the console online, while also connecting to local controllers.

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

This could be a patent for a different version of the Dualshock 5 that will be sold independently than the controller that comes with a PS5.

For starters, that controller would need to be WiFi in order to connect to a local wifi to connect to the cloud server.

Very doubtful that a PS5 would intentionally have their controllers be WiFi controllers, or have both WiFi and Bluetooth. That would also mean that the PS5 would need a dual Wifi radio to connect the console online, while also connecting to local controllers.

It could... but I doubt it.  They aren't going to make "PS Now" only compatible controllers...

What makes you think they wouldn't have both wifi and bluetooth in their next gen controller?  Or simply just wifi?  You realize that when one is active the other could be deactivated, so no power would be consumed, right?

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

It could... but I doubt it.  They aren't going to make "PS Now" only compatible controllers...

What makes you think they wouldn't have both wifi and bluetooth in their next gen controller?  Or simply just wifi?  You realize that when one is active the other could be deactivated, so no power would be consumed, right?

They've made separate controllers before for "PC use". It comes with a dongle.

I bought one because it was on special. Those were still compatible to use on a PS4.

I could see them selling "PS Now" controllers that are wifi only.

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They've made separate controllers before for "PC use". It comes with a dongle.

I bought one because it was on special. Those were still compatible to use on a PS4.

I could see them selling "PS Now" controllers that are wifi only.

Well that's just a separate SKU... not a different controller, like you made it sound.  Of course they're compatible.. because they're the same thing. 

They won't be selling a separate PS Now controller that is wifi only for PS Now.. makes literally no sense.  The idea is.. if you're a PS5 owner... you can play your PS Now games on the go.... using your DS5 that you have.  Requiring you to buy a special DS5 PS Now controller to play your games on the go, or on another device...  No.. not happening.

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

Well that's just a separate SKU... not a different controller, like you made it sound.  Of course they're compatible.. because they're the same thing. 

They won't be selling a separate PS Now controller that is wifi only.. makes literally no sense.  The idea is.. if you're a PS5 owner... you can play your PS Now games on the go.... using your DS5 that you have.  Requiring you to buy a special DS5 PS Now controller to play your games on the go, or on another device...  No.. not happening.

Its definitely probable to have both WiFi and Bluetooth. It would make the controller a bit more expensive.

I wonder if that ties into the "hole" thats in the controller.

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Its definitely probable to have both WiFi and Bluetooth. It would make the controller a bit more expensive.

I wonder if that ties into the "hole" thats in the controller.

Yea.  It shouldn't be too bad.

I dunno.  I think that's probably a mic, for voice navigated UI and possibly that PS assistant feature where they help you get through parts in games.  Sounds like there's going to be a real thing.

Seriously, how is Stadia not going to end up being dead in the water?

If this is true then it's only positive (long barrier cost of entry) is taken away. That on top of MS with Xcloud giving you the option to do streaming and/or native, I just can't see how anyone will choose stadia unless their technology is just so far superior to the competition, which I don't think it will be.