The Outer Worlds - Official Thread

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't spend it all in one place, young man.

It started a bit slow but I'm getting really into it. It feels a lot more like New Vegas. Damn, Bethesda reaaally milked and killed Fallout 

max charisma, always.

8 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The gameplay in general is really unbalanced. There was definitely a survival aspect to Fallout that Outer Worlds is missing. In those games you always felt like you were just scraping by when it came to weapons and ammo, even on the normal difficulty. 

Here you're pretty much always a super soldier with what feels like an unlimited amount of ammo and bits.

I mean I still felt pretty overpowered in the Fallout games at a point, but it definitely takes awhile and you make trade offs to get there. There's a lot more specialization in Fallout, while I would use the exact same build for shotguns and snipers in Outer Worlds and can still pass every dialogue, tech, and stealth skill check if I can swap gear beforehand. The skill point investment in weapons being as bad as it is also means I'm still pretty effective with melee weapons, too, despite not bothering with them at all.

23 hours ago, Hot Sauce said:

I mean I still felt pretty overpowered in the Fallout games at a point, but it definitely takes awhile and you make trade offs to get there. There's a lot more specialization in Fallout, while I would use the exact same build for shotguns and snipers in Outer Worlds and can still pass every dialogue, tech, and stealth skill check if I can swap gear beforehand. The skill point investment in weapons being as bad as it is also means I'm still pretty effective with melee weapons, too, despite not bothering with them at all.

Yeah, the game being piss easy is actually kind of a good thing because it just means that you can pump more of your points into the dialogue skills instead of worrying about the combat ones.

Anyway, I just finished it after nearly 33 hours. The climax felt rushed, and the planet I ended up saving for last (Scylla) was practically a wasteland with nothing to see or do in it. Still, I had a great time with the game despite some other minor issues (like the loot not being that interesting). Ill be curious to know how the choices other people made differed from mine, and the effect they had on the story.

I think theres a lot of potential here if they decide to turn this into a series. A higher budget sequel with some of the kinks ironed out could definitely be something special.

Edited by Twinblade
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2019-10-30 at 9:30 PM, Twinblade said:

I don't know if theres any romance options but shes definitely my wifey.

The way her story played out :puke:

And yeah, they weren't kidding, it's not just the character creator females who have the dude hair. Like 90% of the female NPC's do too

I was playing it on hard from the beginning and it was a little hard at first but then after side quests it became super easy. I used the Supernova patch and it just became annoying with the sleeping and eating thing. If there was a difference in enemy difficulty, it was minimal and not worth the extra hassle so I've gone back to hard. I don't remember this difficulty curve in New Vegas. Definitely saw it in Fallout 4. 

Because I didn't know if getting Udom Bedford's credentials had a variety of outcomes, I had told Gladys that I would take those papers to "forge them into my documents" so that I could onto Byzantium myself (which was my dialogue choice).

Or, if the only real option was just giving those credentials back to Udom so that he can give me a NavKey to go to Byzantium. Which I received that option if I selected that I wanted to turn in Phineas Wells.

So I made sure to make some Manual Saves in that area because I don't know if any of those decisions are consequential enough to make me want to go back and replay it.

So, the fact that the Stellar Bay navkey cost $11,000 and Udom's papers cost $8,000 kind of sucks at that point in the game, I had pretty done all of the side quests that can be completed on Groundbreaker, and I had about $13,000.

So I read on the Wiki that:

Spoiler

if you are quick enough with the Steal (1 second) you can lockpick Gladys safe and grab Udom's papers before one of her people interrupts you to stop you.  So I needed to position myself far away from the safe and far enough distance from her people who are in the room, but CLOSE enough to where I can lockpick the sage. So about 5 feet from the safe. Because it takes like 1-2 seconds for the closest character to observe and then run up to you.

And sure enough I was able to do it, and I could give Udom his stuff, and he gave me a navkey for Byzantium.

I get the sense that I would've needed to do those side quests on other planets to collect enough money to get the Byzantium.

I ended up doing the Roseway distress signal side-quest anyway, because there's more than one reason to go to Roseway. That is where I'm at.

Doing missions in and around Groundbreaker is more appealing to me, because its a hub area with small secretive areas to discover. It reminds me of Deus Ex HR/MD areas.

Going to those planet levels, even smaller sized areas, isn't as appealing. Especially since all of the buildings require load times to go into.

1 hour ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

I fought my way into town, as opposed to paying the 10K to get that Navkey. :monosmug:

Oh, you went to that other port where its surrounded by enemies? I bet that I could rush that area if things got dicey and make it to the main city. Or, the enemies are probably spaced far enough apart where I can try to stealth kill some of them before having to have a shootout.

8 hours ago, jehurey said:

Because I didn't know if getting Udom Bedford's credentials had a variety of outcomes, I had told Gladys that I would take those papers to "forge them into my documents" so that I could onto Byzantium myself (which was my dialogue choice).

Or, if the only real option was just giving those credentials back to Udom so that he can give me a NavKey to go to Byzantium. Which I received that option if I selected that I wanted to turn in Phineas Wells.

So I made sure to make some Manual Saves in that area because I don't know if any of those decisions are consequential enough to make me want to go back and replay it.

So, the fact that the Stellar Bay navkey cost $11,000 and Udom's papers cost $8,000 kind of sucks at that point in the game, I had pretty done all of the side quests that can be completed on Groundbreaker, and I had about $13,000.

So I read on the Wiki that:

Reveal hidden contents

if you are quick enough with the Steal (1 second) you can lockpick Gladys safe and grab Udom's papers before one of her people interrupts you to stop you.  So I needed to position myself far away from the safe and far enough distance from her people who are in the room, but CLOSE enough to where I can lockpick the sage. So about 5 feet from the safe. Because it takes like 1-2 seconds for the closest character to observe and then run up to you.

And sure enough I was able to do it, and I could give Udom his stuff, and he gave me a navkey for Byzantium.

I get the sense that I would've needed to do those side quests on other planets to collect enough money to get the Byzantium.

I ended up doing the Roseway distress signal side-quest anyway, because there's more than one reason to go to Roseway. That is where I'm at.

Doing missions in and around Groundbreaker is more appealing to me, because its a hub area with small secretive areas to discover. It reminds me of Deus Ex HR/MD areas.

Going to those planet levels, even smaller sized areas, isn't as appealing. Especially since all of the buildings require load times to go into.

You got to Byzantium without going to Monarch? That's pretty cool. You skipped like half the game. :happysad:

47 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

You got to Byzantium without going to Monarch? That's pretty cool. You skipped like half the game. :happysad:

I got the NavKey. And then I went to Roseway because that's where I chose to go. So I could go and check to see if they put any obstacle to prevent me from docking at Monarch.

Edited by jehurey

After Roseway, I did the Relay Station, and then I did Scylla.

And then, I could've gone to Monarch, but instead I wanted to see what's going on in Byzantium. So that's where I am at right now, I am trying to see how far I can get with helping the Board but only to a certain point.

Apparently, there's a real bug involving Parvati's side mission. And the reason for the bug is rather weird.

This side mission will fail, because it will consider Parvati to be dead.

The reason why it considers her to be dead is if a conversation (what type of convo, and with who, I dunno) started and you were GOING DOWN A LADDER while a conversation was occurring.

Parvati will follow you down that ladder and, apparently, will always be stuck on the ladder, and thus the game considers her dead, and even though she introduces a new mission, the mission automatically fails.

I don't know where I may have committed that. So, I just don't do anything to begin her side mission, and hope that will be patched.

Alright, I'm definitely done with the game.

Probably putting in somewhere between 65 and 68 hours.

I did end up completing the Parvati side quest, but they never fixed the bug, so it considers the quest as failed, even though I got XP and money for it.  The only other side quest that I did not complete was the dumb fucking Clothing quest, because I read that after you go and fetch 3 different outfits, you have to go and fetch remains from animals, and I had just ran out of patience there near the end.

I'd say that this is an 8/10 game, and you can see too many signs of the game being limited in its production and/or development. They run out of steam in providing you interesting quests. There's not enough dialogue.

There's not enough people in each faction, to make it seem like a real faction. The game started with Emerald Vale and the Dissenters, and then it grew larger in scope with the people on the Groundbreaker...........and then it didn't grow in scale anymore after that.

Monarch felt like it could be exciting for a while. But it felt half-baked.

Ultimately, you really see that this game is: walk here, access the computer here to trigger something, or pick up an object. Walk back speak with person that either ends the quest or forces you to kill somebody.

You also see that Bethesda's janky shit that we all complain about exists because it at least bring some sort of dynamic "movement" to the world. Because here, everybody is just standing there at all times.

There's just not that many cinematic moments. Compare it to Fallout 3. No blowing up Megaton, no getting into a Battle ship, no gigantic robot marching through DC.

Also, combat encounters are always within a small vicinity. Even in areas in which there's like 20 enemies, you will get into a fight with 5 of them, but in the other room, the other enemies don't join the fight. They're just oblivious. FO3 seemed to have larger combat encounters in larger areas.

I will say that the story is kinda decent in how they try to connect all of the storylines that are occurring on each planet into something that explains why they are doing what they are doing, and it explains the rough conditions that each planet is experiencing.

Sorta.

Spoiler

Am I correct that there was allusions to people "turning" into some sort of zombie-like creatures when reading some of the files in the labs of Cascadia?

Also the mystery as to what happened on the Hope is...........I dunno. I guess its explained, its just not very "mysterious" nor does it add much to the main story.

But the stories wrap themselves up really quickly, by the time you are learning the main secret as to what is happening.  It really is a 8/10 game, and no higher than that. Let's hope they can put in resources to improve in several areas.

33 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Damn, how'd you put that much time into it. I did every quest I encountered and finished it in 36 hours.

I looted alot of shit, I searched every nook and cranny, and I went off the beaten path because there are some camps out there, and usually a collection of monsters were in a spot because there's dead marauder bodies, that would have some loot.

I think I counted like 28 main missions, and like 50 side quests.