Death Stranding - 2/5 from Giantbomb (DS Discussion Thread)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

jpeg of gamespot starter guide

I just finished it. Damn, what a ride. Its far from perfect, but I still haven't felt so enamored by a game since Witcher 3.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, madmaltese said:

Fuck whatever discord yous are talking about, post here :meh:

lol yeah, i never joined the discord i have like 10 different discord servers i hate that shit. forums are way better

glad that people like the game, never doubt kojima unless its mgs 4 and 5. :mj: 

Edited by kaz
Just now, Voidler said:

Is this worth picking up without internet connectivity?

My new place isn’t hooked up yet

i forget if the game has a 30 gig dl or install. check first. 

Edited by -GD-

Finished it last night. So much I want to talk about. 

Easily my GOTY. Maybe my GOTG. I'll let it sit with me for a while. 

5 hours ago, Voidler said:

Is this worth picking up without internet connectivity?

My new place isn’t hooked up yet

Do not play this game without the online connectivity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Man there are some lines of dialogue towards the end that are so bad :D

So fucking Kojima :D

Nothing worse than bad as:

"I'm Fragile.....but im not that fragile' (said multiple times in the game)

The biggest problem is that Kojima needs to learn how to tell story without it being giant exposition dumps with 2 characters just talking. 

Thankfully the final episode is breathtakingly good.

35 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

The biggest problem is that Kojima needs to learn how to tell story without it being giant exposition dumps with 2 characters just talking. 

I just saw the

mario and princess peach scene...also the ‘I brought you a metaphor’ line was something else.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I swear Kojima has gotten worse at storytelling since MGS3. 3 still shits on anything else he has done after.

57 minutes ago, Ramza said:

I swear Kojima has gotten worse at storytelling since MGS3. 3 still shits on anything else he has done after.

57 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You can't beat MGS3.. so there's no where else to go but down. 

The final Chapter of this and the ending is the best thing he’s done since MGS3 and rivals that’s imo.

he struggles in terms of needing to explain these crazy worlds he comes up with (which is understandable given the craziness of MGS and DS) but then excels when he focuses on characters. That’s why MGS3 was so good, because of The Boss story and it’s integration into the plot. This does similar things. It’s plot resolution is pretty meh but then is followed up by arguably his best work in the final episode. 

1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

I just saw the

Reveal hidden contents

mario and princess peach scene...also the ‘I brought you a metaphor’ line was something else.

:D That one was so beyond his usual standard that I just accepted it as a silly little gaming easter egg / line. Because the game definitley breaks the 4th wall at times (like all the time in the private locker)

1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

The final Chapter of this and the ending is the best thing he’s done since MGS3 and rivals that’s imo.

he struggles in terms of needing to explain these crazy worlds he comes up with (which is understandable given the craziness of MGS and DS) but then excels when he focuses on characters. That’s why MGS3 was so good, because of The Boss story and it’s integration into the plot. This does similar things. It’s plot resolution is pretty meh but then is followed up by arguably his best work in the final episode. 

MGS3 had amazing boss fights to go along those moments tho. I haven't played DS yet but it seems like the bosses are weaksauce. And MGSV story was so forgettable, I Dunno I'll see for myself soon enough.

Just now, Ramza said:

MGS3 had amazing boss fights to go along those moments tho. I haven't played DS yet but it seems like the bosses are weaksauce. And MGSV story was so forgettable, I Dunno I'll see for myself soon enough.

This is a very different game though. It's weakest elements are the combat and when it tries to go into MGS territory (which is tries to do later in the game), so definitely don't go into this game looking for great boss fights.

This is better than MGSV in every way conceivable.

The open world is better and more interesting.

The story is VASTLY superior and completely finished. Will answer everything by the end (more so than most Kojima games)

The gameplay loop (if it connects with you) is one of the best in any game I've played.

This game is what ppl were asking for when they said they wanted gameplay strength of MGSV with the old MGS' crazy cutscenes and story. 

• Upvote 2

Its obvious that the average western open world has become so routine and predictable, and completely devoid of any new or interesting ideas. You can pretty much predict almost every system and mechanic before even starting them up.

Now out of the blue a japanese studio comes along and just completely changes our thought processes on what this type of game can be. And its not the first time either, I feel comfortable saying that this has the most unique implementation of online social features since Demon's Souls. 

All in all, DS is looking to be my GOTY as well if it ends on a high note.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Like 1