Death Stranding - 2/5 from Giantbomb (DS Discussion Thread)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

jpeg of gamespot starter guide

I just finished it. Damn, what a ride. Its far from perfect, but I still haven't felt so enamored by a game since Witcher 3.

Posted Images

Just now, Twinblade said:

I just finished it. Damn, what a ride. Its far from perfect, but I still haven't felt so enamored by a game since Witcher 3.

whoooah! bold statement! i'd like to read a mini review from you. 

3 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Awesome!! I want to talk about it but really want want to mention specific story spoilers even when using spoiler tags. 

What did you think of Ep14 and the actual ending?

Did the MoCap blow your mind in that chapter or what?

19 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Awesome!! I want to talk about it but really want want to mention specific story spoilers even when using spoiler tags. 

What did you think of Ep14 and the actual ending?

Did the MoCap blow your mind in that chapter or what?

Yeah it was awesome, the direction and editing was top notch as well in those final scenes.

I was actually on the verge of being incredibly disappointed when I saw the credits roll for the first time. Im just like 'thats it?  :|' and thinking about all those Cliff teases that amounted to nothing, and his plot thread involving Die-Hardman and President Strand going nowhere.

But then in typical Kojima fashion the game continues and soon afterwards we get a full dose of Mads Mikkelsen being an absolute bad ass :bow: He definitely ended up being my favorite character overall, even if i still would have liked him to have even more screen time. I also think his model and animations are better than Sam's, especially during those last moments.

Also, the part where you take BB to the incinerator gave me some feels. It was a neat touch that they actually disabled all of the structures and vehicles so you're forced to just walk all the way there. Made it way more effective. 

Theres still so many things i'd like to mention but I still need to process the rest of the plot developments at the end.

Edited by Twinblade
2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah it was awesome, the direction and editing was top notch as well in those final scenes.

Reveal hidden contents

I was actually on the verge of being incredibly disappointed when I saw the credits roll for the first time. Im just like 'thats it?  :|' and thinking about all those Cliff teases that amounted to nothing, and his plot thread involving Die-Hardman and President Strand going nowhere.

But then in typical Kojima fashion the game continues and soon afterwards we get a full dose of Mads Mikkelsen being an absolute bad ass :bow: He definitely ended up being my favorite character overall, even if i still would have liked him to have even more screen time. I also think his model and animations are better than Sam's, especially during those last moments.

Also, the part where you take BB to the incinerator gave me some feels. It was a neat touch that they actually disabled all of the structures and vehicles so you're forced to just walk all the way there. Made it way more effective. 

Theres still so many things i'd like to mention but I still need to process the rest of the plot developments at the end.

Yup, I had the exact same feeling of massive disappointment thinking Ep13 was it. But in typical Kojima fashion, you have like another 1.5 hours of the game to go after the first credits lol 

Yeah my favourite moment now that the game is over is definitely the last delivery to the incinerator with the 'BB Theme' song playing. Super emotional. Doing the same route you first did in the game too, that music, zoomed out camera. Don't think I've ever been reminiscent of a game while playing the game (was just thinking of all my trips with BB through the game and how this was the last) but that scene was so beautiful yet so simple. 

The Die Hardman scenes were also very good. The actor put in a great performance, but yeah Mads' character is definitely my favourite too. Excellent twist and very well done. I was on the edge of my seat for that final ep as the story came together and the scenes were retold. 

The game definitely has faults, mostly with it's writing/dialogue and massive exposition to tell the story, but it does so many things amazingly well that the faults don't really matter. This will be a game spoken about for years to come. It will have ever lasting influence. In all my life of gaming I've never played anything like it, not many times you get to say that.

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

Hide contents

Yup, I had the exact same feeling of massive disappointment thinking Ep13 was it. But in typical Kojima fashion, you have like another 1.5 hours of the game to go after the first credits lol 

Yeah my favourite moment now that the game is over is definitely the last delivery to the incinerator with the 'BB Theme' song playing. Super emotional. Doing the same route you first did in the game too, that music, zoomed out camera. Don't think I've ever been reminiscent of a game while playing the game (was just thinking of all my trips with BB through the game and how this was the last) but that scene was so beautiful yet so simple. 

The Die Hardman scenes were also very good. The actor put in a great performance, but yeah Mads' character is definitely my favourite too. Excellent twist and very well done. I was on the edge of my seat for that final ep as the story came together and the scenes were retold. 

The game definitely has faults, mostly with it's writing/dialogue and massive exposition to tell the story, but it does so many things amazingly well that the faults don't really matter. This will be a game spoken about for years to come. It will have ever lasting influence. In all my life of gaming I've never played anything like it, not many times you get to say that.

Yeah, im not sure how so many people (like the GB folks) complained about the lack of closure, i think it was fine in that regard. While there are a lot of plot contrivances that aren't really explained well (like the transporting of characters to/from the beach, including how the accessories and the creepy doll are involved in that process) thats not really different from how a lot of the weird stuff in MGS is chalked up to nanomachines.

btw on the way back to bring Fragile the cryptobiotes, did you notice how that big plain of rocks on the way to port knot city was now broken up with numerous dirt paths? Presumably because the terrain deformed from all the players that passed through there. Details like that are just awesome.

Edited by Twinblade

I've booted my PS4 up a half dozen times over the weekend ready for some Death Stranding and every time I look at that route from Capital Port Knot City to the lake and just think I'd rather be doing literally anything else with my time.

• Haha 2
17 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I've booted my PS4 up a half dozen times over the weekend ready for some Death Stranding and every time I look at that route from Capital Port Knot City to the lake and just think I'd rather be doing literally anything else with my time.

Its really not that bad, you'll be there before you know it. Theres also some interesting story stuff when you reach it too.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, Twinblade said:

Its really not that bad, you'll be there before you know it. Theres also some interesting story stuff when you reach it too.

I sucked it up. It really wasn't that bad with the bike and the hematic grenades. The story stuff you were talking about was pretty awesome.

I didn't realize until that trip that the shifting of weight wasn't a Tony Hawk style balance thing, but a press and hold thing. Makes that wayyy less tedious. :ben: