Death Stranding - 2/5 from Giantbomb (DS Discussion Thread)

14 minutes ago, Delita said:

Pretty much. I thought it was going to be a certain way the entire game, then chapter 4 happens and it’s like an entirely different game.

Chapter 4 Spoilers (don't read if you haven't finished Chapter 4)

I know right, the game is constantly evolving. Just keeps adding newer elements and new gameplay functions. The pacing has been great too. Feels like these moments are exactly where they needed to be. First with the boss fight at the end of Chapter 2 right when things were getting a little repetitive and you start to wonder if that is all the game has to offer. Then after the long, pure gameplay of Chapter 3 it focuses back in on a more linear, cinematic section that changes everything. Great stuff.

Now I want a WW2 game with the Decima engine. That initial opening where you are running through the warzone was one of the most visually impressive segments I have ever seen. Unbelievable. 

and Holy Shit the cutscenes. So fucking cool. Mads is the best.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

jpeg of gamespot starter guide

I just finished it. Damn, what a ride. Its far from perfect, but I still haven't felt so enamored by a game since Witcher 3.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, madmaltese said:

It's cause it's a MULE truck. Later in the Chapter you'll get the ability to fabricate a Bridges truck and then the items in that truck are recognised when you go on the private room platform.

Yeah it's the thing that is annoying me the most atm however I automatically skip them. Loading is like instant thankfully.

lol you probably would but you'd have to hope to be put in an instance with a developed map. Creating connections with other players with high likes would help too. Seriously there is so much mobility improvements in Chapter 3. Speed suits, numerous vehicles, highways, zip lines, etc

I may give it another shot. I found myself missing the game today. So weird 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Im still in 3 but im curious about 4 now. Im still impressed by the rate that they're introducing new features, mechanics, equipment, etc. It doesn't feel overwhelming either, the characters generally do a good job of explaining the stuff they dump on you.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, -GD- said:

I may give it another shot. I found myself missing the game today. So weird 

Yeah it has an incredibly strange staying power on your mind. When I'm not playing, I'm thinking of playing it and not even 'dying to find out what happens next' but just, gotta deliver that fucking package and build these highways! :D

Where exactly did you stop? Before Chapter 3? Cause all of Chapter 3 is literally unlocking new items to help you every time you level up an district or connect another outpost.

Went in to the game thinking I'll get through the gameplay for awesome Kojima cutscenes and here I am playing Minecraft in Kojima's world lol

I think this game is for me. I just love taking the time to explore taking in the scenery with some nice music in the background and get lost in the world, while running some errands, build stuff etc and knowing I contributed to the world.  Similarly many people didn't understand Minecraft when it first launched but I instantly love it.

Edited by Pureis
52 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Chapter 4 Spoilers (don't read if you haven't finished Chapter 4)

Reveal hidden contents

I know right, the game is constantly evolving. Just keeps adding newer elements and new gameplay functions. The pacing has been great too. Feels like these moments are exactly where they needed to be. First with the boss fight at the end of Chapter 2 right when things were getting a little repetitive and you start to wonder if that is all the game has to offer. Then after the long, pure gameplay of Chapter 3 it focuses back in on a more linear, cinematic section that changes everything. Great stuff.

Now I want a WW2 game with the Decima engine. That initial opening where you are running through the warzone was one of the most visually impressive segments I have ever seen. Unbelievable. 

and Holy Shit the cutscenes. So fucking cool. Mads is the best.

Word. I was kinda iffy on using movie/tv actors at first but the level of quality in terms of voice acting and motion capture they bring to the cutscenes is amazing and more believable than mgs. 

1 hour ago, madmaltese said:

Yeah it has an incredibly strange staying power on your mind. When I'm not playing, I'm thinking of playing it and not even 'dying to find out what happens next' but just, gotta deliver that fucking package and build these highways! :D

Where exactly did you stop? Before Chapter 3? Cause all of Chapter 3 is literally unlocking new items to help you every time you level up an district or connect another outpost.

Went in to the game thinking I'll get through the gameplay for awesome Kojima cutscenes and here I am playing Minecraft in Kojima's world lol

I left off where you get the ability to charge batteries for the bike. 

35 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

At Chapter 6 now.

This would have to fall of a cliff to not be my GOTY at this stage. 

Really? Holy shit. I’m legit surprised by the positive feedback this game is getting. I’ll give it another go soon. 

yep, the pacing is spot on... constantly getting new abilities that expand the gameplay to new heights.

technically this game is perfect. keep in mind it launched perfect with no bugs or huge patches either and it looks a gen ahead of everything else on the market. And Kojima pulled this off all in a 3 year span on someone else's engine. :D 

Add me to the GOTY list

IGN's 6.8 :den: another completely delegitimized site.

Kojima drones just can't take the loss, slowly going senile :tom: 

Image result for ackchyually" thish ish fantashtic and a mashtewpieshe you jush don getit. Have you shpent at leasht 20 hoursh to get toda good pawt? Yeah dash what I thought

Edited by bhytre
  • Haha 2