PS5 might be aiming for 400 from this interview

Jim Ryan interview about their priority to get everyone to transition to PS5 from PS4 asap. How they will focus on next gen exclusives, which makes the most sense if PS5 is cheaper and has a large userbase to sell those exclusives. Its a very possible they might not risk a 500 dollar console. Could still be 500, you never know.

So they want the fastest selling PlayStation? This means cheap price and shitload of exclusive content, since Jim Ryan said AAA exclusives and exclusive deals sell consoles.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-07-sonys-jim-ryan-we-had-to-make-changes-to-deliver-our-ps5-dream

Edited by Team 2019

As we move towards the next-generation in 2020, one of our tasks -- probably our main task -- is to take that community and transition it from PlayStation 4 to PlayStation 5, and at a scale and pace that we've never delivered on before.

"One of our tasks is to take that PS4 community and transition it to PS5 at a scale and pace that we've never delivered before

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

They're not going to want to lose $100+ on every console...

Maybe not $100+, but Sony showed with both the PS3 and PS4 that they’re willing to take a hit on the console, making up the loss with sales and subscriptions. 

Edited by ScaryMovies
  • Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, ScaryMovies said:

Maybe not $100+, but Sony showed with both the PS3 and PS4 that they’re willing to take a hit on the console, making up the loss with sales and subscriptions. 

Isn't a subscription a sale? Why are you repeating yourself? :ben:

20 minutes ago, Optimus Jim said:

Isn't a subscription a sale? Why are you repeating yourself? :ben:

A subscription is a recurring sale, not a one time thing :ben:

But to be more clear: “ ... making up the loss with game royalties and sales, accessories and subscriptions”. 

Edited by ScaryMovies
6 minutes ago, ScaryMovies said:

A subscription is a recurring sale, not a one times thing :ben:

But to be more clear: “ ... making up the loss with game royalties and sales, accessories and subscriptions”. 

My name's Limp Bizkit and you should put a lid on it. :pacspit:

7 hours ago, JONBpc said:

Should be pretty easy considering they no longer have competition 

Honestly if this is true and MS has thrown in the towel, and since Nintendo hasn't been a factor since Gamecube.  Then SONY will be well in their right to turn into Nvidia and jack the price up on PS4 PS5 to like $700.

Edited by The Mother Fucker

Microsoft is as close to getting knocked out of the gaming space, and its timing itself perfect with the start of a new console gen.

I can definitely see Sony deciding to lose money so that they can go for the throat  and take out MS.

Think about it: If Sony has a system that's slightly more powerful than the upcoming Xbox, and they drop the price to $400, Phil Spencer has to tell the top Microsoft brass "we need to lose money on this next console to compete at launch"

If he gets the Xbox 2 marked down to $400, and it still doesn't beat PS5, MS top execs are almost certain to give up on Xbox hardware.

If Phil Spencer can't convince MS to take a loss on the next Xbox, they're already signaling that the XBox hardware is being phased out.

If I were Sony, I'd probably start advertising TLOU2 and Ghosts of Tsushima as cross-gen games. I bet you they have a Horizon Zero Dawn sequel getting ready for launch.

4 hours ago, ScaryMovies said:

Well, $399 is a heck of a lot more tempting than $499.  They might be willing to in all honesty... but they also probably figure they don't have to.

I think what Jim is mostly referring to when talking about transitioning people over faster than ever before is giving them more options to make that happen, and more incentives to lead them to stick with Playstation.  Different ways of purchasing the console... trade in promotions, and things like PS4 (and other PS system) backwards compatibility.  They see that as a huge feature which will help people make the decision to get the new console quicker.. because they can simply trade in their console toward the new one and keep their games.  If PS4 games work better, load faster on PS5.. that helps them market the feature too.

I'll be surprised if I see a $399 tag.  That means Sony is really not taking any chances and are going for Xbox's throats... but I'm realistically expecting $499 with rumors of what the hardware is.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

One pSN sub and a game sold might cover a huge part of the loses.

I dont think Sony is looking to cover loss over making profit.  Selling ps5 at a loss would be a bad move for them.  And they dont need to .

A 400 dollar ps5 would be a nice deal tho.