Don Cherry fired from coaches corner

yup, teh_dip just hit the nail on the hit.

alt-right cucks like the person who made this thread specifically WANT POLITICS OUT of entertainment programming, and whine about it all the time.

and now........here they are defending somebody for bringing race politics into a sportscast. that isn't his job.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

yup, teh_dip just hit the nail on the hit.

alt-right cucks like the person who made this thread specifically WANT POLITICS OUT of entertainment programming, and whine about it all the time.

and now........here they are defending somebody for bringing race politics into a sportscast. that isn't his job.

wow this guy's triggered af. :D 

I love it when this guy gets all worked up and tries to pick a fight.  About what?  I don't give a fuck :D 

Edited by Spicalicious

It's racist to tell people that come to this country that they should respect and show support to the people who fought for it's freedoms?

lol ok.

I see a lot less people wearing poppies these days.  People either don't know... don't care... or don't understand..  Regardless.. it's sad.  The day exists for a reason and new people coming into the country should understand and respect why this holiday exists...

Edited by Remij_
  • Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

wow this guy's triggered af. :D 

I love it when this guy gets all worked up and tries to pick a fight.  About what?  I don't give a fuck :D 

i totally believe this guy. he's played it off so non-chalant. doesn't look forced, in the slightest.:obama:

20 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

It's racist to tell people that come to this country that they should respect and show support to the people who fought for it's freedoms?

lol ok.

I see a lot less people wearing poppies these days.  People either don't know... don't care... or don't understand..  Regardless.. it's sad.  The day exists for a reason and new people coming into the country should understand and respect why this holiday exists...

This is a quote from the person who wrote the majority decision for the US Supreme Court case of West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette

from 1943:

The case is made difficult not because the principles of its decision are obscure but because the flag involved is our own. Nevertheless, we apply the limitations of the Constitution with no fear that freedom to be intellectually and spiritually diverse or even contrary will disintegrate the social organization. To believe that patriotism will not flourish if patriotic ceremonies are voluntary and spontaneous instead of a compulsory routine is to make an unflattering estimate of the appeal of our institutions to free minds. We can have intellectual individualism and the rich cultural diversities that we owe to exceptional minds only at the price of occasional eccentricity and abnormal attitudes. When they are so harmless to others or to the State as those we deal with here, the price is not too great. But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order.

If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.

Those who begin coercive elimination of dissent soon find themselves exterminating dissenters. Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard.

-Robert H. Jackson

And just to give context, this Supreme Court case was about a religious group who opposed their children being made to say the Pledge of Allegiance in their elementary classroom every morning.

Think about how small and harmless that is. All they're asking is just kids reciting some silly little pledge to the country that takes 15 seconds.

But it really is one of the most sublime explanations of what it REALLY MEANS to be free.

You can't compel people to be patriotic..............because if you do, you end up hurting TRUE patriotism in the long run. If the patriotism or the respect isn't genuine, then what's the point?

I hope you let that quote sink in, because it really is one of the best ways to view freedom and patriotism and how they relate to one another. Its a brilliant supreme court decision. And mind you that decision was being written in the HEAT of World War 2. For our supreme court justices to still have that foresight, even though they were living in a time of huge war-time propaganda going on, it really was an amazing act of forward-thinking.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

This is a quote from the person who wrote the majority decision for the US Supreme Court case of West Virginia State Board of Education vs. Barnette

from 1943:

-Robert H. Jackson

And just to give context, this Supreme Court case was about a religious group who opposed their children being made to say the Pledge of Allegiance in their elementary classroom every morning.

Think about how small and harmless that is. All they're asking is just kids reciting some silly little pledge to the country that takes 15 seconds.

But it really is one of the most sublime explanations of what it REALLY MEANS to be free.

You can't compel people to be patriotic..............because if you do, you end up hurting TRUE patriotism in the long run. If the patriotism or the respect isn't genuine, then what's the point?

I hope you let that quote sink in, because it really is one of the best ways to view freedom and patriotism and how they relate to one another. Its a brilliant supreme court decision. And mind you that decision was being written in the HEAT of World War 2. For our supreme court justices to still have that foresight, even though they were living in a time of huge war-time propaganda going on, it really was an amazing act of forward-thinking.

I'm not talking about whether they should have the freedom to wear poppies or not or that they need to be patriotic.. I'm talking about whether or not it's racist to think that people who come to this country should show respect to those who fought for it's freedom.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I'm not talking about whether they should have the freedom to wear poppies or not or that they need to be patriotic.. I'm talking about whether or not it's racist to think that people who come to this country should show respect to those who fought for it's freedom.

images.jpeg

It's pretty funny how mild what he said was. I feel like you could find something in any Coaches Corner from the last couple decades and have a pretty good shot at finding something more offensive than that. He shouldn't have been fired for that, but he's had enough chances that it really shouldn't be a surprise he gets a short leash on something he refused to apologize for.

Was always nice to see him advocating for player safety (aside from calling people who wear visors 'pussies'), but he was an old man yelling at clouds the rest of the time.

5 hours ago, Remij_ said:

The fact that he went out of his way to question the patriotism of an entire group of people...........that he has no idea about who they are or how they think, means that he came to the conclusion that they aren't patriotic enough because of xenophobic reasons.

Here let me give you an example:  I know some Asian friends who are really big about taking off shoes when you enter their house. It was very common in their culture.

You aren't of that same culture, and therefore you simply don't know the custom and don't take off your shoes.  And somebody gets mad at you and think its because all white people must not appreciate Asian customs.

That's the key part: the Asian comes to the conclusion that all white people must think this way.

The Asian would be assigning a petty racist line of reasoning, when in reality, the answer is more practical: you just don't know the custom.

Its the fact that he decided to make a generalization about an entire group of people.........without any real proof.......that makes it xenophobic.

Edited by jehurey

again, he's 85. You expect him to love taliban or even give two shits about their feelings? :rofl: 

just goes to show who you can't criticize in canada. Insult minorities and face a life of solitude, fired and never work in this town again.

Minorities are gods in canada and NEVER EVER will you criticize them!! Or else face the social consequence of disownership and banned from society+ fired + never work again even if you're an 85 yr old.:ccruise:

• Sad 1
3 hours ago, jehurey said:

The fact that he went out of his way to question the patriotism of an entire group of people...........that he has no idea about who they are or how they think, means that he came to the conclusion that they aren't patriotic enough because of xenophobic reasons.

Here let me give you an example:  I know some Asian friends who are really big about taking off shoes when you enter their house. It was very common in their culture.

You aren't of that same culture, and therefore you simply don't know the custom and don't take off your shoes.  And somebody gets mad at you and think its because all white people must not appreciate Asian customs.

That's the key part: the Asian comes to the conclusion that all white people must think this way.

The Asian would be assigning a petty racist line of reasoning, when in reality, the answer is more practical: you just don't know the custom.

Its the fact that he decided to make a generalization about an entire group of people.........without any real proof.......that makes it xenophobic.

I specifically say this:

"I see a lot less people wearing poppies these days.  People either don't know... don't care... or don't understand..  Regardless.. it's sad.  The day exists for a reason and new people coming into the country should understand and respect why this holiday exists..."

I already said there's a practical reasoning for it... they might not know.  However, I can observe people who have been here for 10+ years and still don't wear poppies.  It's not a generalization... it's observable.  I don't think they should be forced to wear them... but I know that I would definitely respect immigrants who wear a poppy leading up to Remembrance day, than I would otherwise. 

Would that Asian be racist if it was observable that more and more white people were coming into the country and failing to understand and therefore respect their customs/culture?  What if there was a specific holiday in this Asian country which celebrated something which was the reason why they removed their shoes?  Would it be wrong to expect people living in the country to understand why that is, and show that respect?

IMO.. no...

Immigrants have the freedom to choose to do what they want... and they deserve that right, like we all do.  But as a Canadian... possibly with family who had fought in the war... or has served, or still serving... should I be forced to be silent about those people who seemingly don't make any effort to acknowledge the sacrifice our soldiers have made for us? Equally no.

IMO there's nothing wrong with saying that those people should at least acknowledge the reasoning for our national holiday.

• Upvote 2