DF Star Wars xbox vs ps

Xbox S version is straight busted 

Ps4 version a little better but both have long pauses with stutter

Of course the best way to play it xbox x

No pc video yet,  but on my pc I do get some small stutters in cutscenes and it looks like the stutters that pause the game happen on PC as well but it's just a quick hard frame drop,  no freeze like console . I've only had this happen a few times so it doesnt feel to distracting.  Outside of that so far the game runs solid 60fps on epic settings with shadows put to high .

This game seems like it needed a little more time in the oven .

The game does hitch quite a bit on pc, there’s also a weird issue where it sometimes ‘unloads’ the textures and then reloads them back in...it’s like texture pop in but in reverse which is strange.

that said it does run pretty smoothly on my somewhat dated hardware.

Edited by Twinblade

Yea there's definitely hitching when it's loading in new areas, but generally it's pretty smooth.  I've had nothing like what's shown in DF's video, but I do know people on PC who've had seconds long freezing as well.  For me it's always just felt like the FPS takes a dip and makes it stutter for a sec then its gone..  But the levels are pretty big, and it's noticeable especially when you're dashing to return to an area after dying.

It's honestly only recently that UE4 has started to move toward pushing the engine towards properly supporting open world games.  UE was always about games with levels which had loading screens in between them which gave devs the ability to load in a non-intrusive way. So it's kinda not surprising that these games which stream a lot of assets in during gameplay are having problems on the engine.  Apparently with Gears, MS has been using a custom version of UE4 that they've been working on and tailoring for their games for a while, which could be why they tend not to have this same problem.

I suspect with the next gen consoles coming, Epic will be tailoring the engine even more to stream in data super fast from storage into memory since truly next gen games are going to require good I/O and CPU performance for asset compression and decompression.

2 minutes ago, -GD- said:

So is this worth buying? 

I've only played maybe 2 hours but it was pretty awesome and I'm not even a star Wars fan . I was expecting it to feel like a respawn game but it really doesn't.  After I finish tow ima get into this heavy .

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, JONBpc said:

If it froze how it did on console idk if I'd play it , if that was a common thing .

Yea, that would get annoying quickly.

I don't think it happens too often though like that on the consoles..thankfully.

The bigger problem with the console versions of this game are probably the loading times after deaths.  People are complaining about 50+sec load times after every death on consoles.  That would suck in a game like this.  It was painful in Bloodborne at the beginning before they made it somewhat better later on through patches.

Anyway.. Richard said in the video that the devs are aware of the freezing and level loading issue and looking into it.. so hopefully patches can help somewhat.

Edited by Remij_
1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

So this game demostrates how an SSD standard will change things.

There's plenty of open world games which perform fine.  UE4 just really isn't tailored to streaming in huge level assets during gameplay.  Not yet anyway..

Next gen will be so much better regardless though :happysad: 

6 hours ago, Twinblade said:

It’s still bizarre to me that EA doesn’t have respawn use Frostbite. Having parts of the environment be destructible when you use your lightsaber and force papers would have been a great feature too.

You're a Dice fanboy through and through.. lol

34 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Yeah, suggesting that they be efficient by using technology that already has a bunch of the systems and workflows in place for a Star Wars game makes me a fanboy. Riiiiight :roll:

That engine is a mess for EA and their teams. 

UE4 obviously was the better choice.... deal with it :shrug: