Jason Schreier: "play right away, download just what you need, no load times" will be some of the top selling points of the PlayStation 5

Wouldn't that require like extensive cataloguing and organization of a game's data files from the developer in order for that to be feasible?

I can already sense that there would be an increased chance of bugs if they attempt this.

36 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Wouldn't that require like extensive cataloguing and organization of a game's data files from the developer in order for that to be feasible?

I can already sense that there would be an increased chance of bugs if they attempt this.

Not saying you don't have a point... as you definitely do.  But I think they mean in general just more compartmentalizing of game modes and content by developers where it makes sense.  Things that they could.. and should separate.  Things like SP and MP components of games, which have them as distinct modes, being separated as a standard.. as well as possibly things like CGI videos not being downloaded until they are needed, and intelligently discarded after they are no longer required.  Same could go for audio.  Different audio languages should all be separate in files and you should be able to download your preferred languages as packs.

Things like that would be pretty cool as a standard that developers should start living up to imo.  Also, it's pretty cool that with today's internet speeds, game systems could be downloading a game's assets as needed and removing them as no longer needed.. ensuring that the game is never taking up more space on the drive as necessary.

Probably will just stream the game until it downloads .

I'm not buying the no load times . I'm sure load times will be greatly improved but none at all ? 

Idk about that.  Would be great tho 

4 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Probably will just stream the game until it downloads .

I'm not buying the no load times . I'm sure load times will be greatly improved but none at all ? 

Idk about that.  Would be great tho 

Given the rumored RAM configurations being about 20GB.. and rumored transfer rates which are possible due to the work Sony has been doing... it could take all of 2-3 seconds max to fill the entire system RAM.  That loading could easily be hidden behind a "transition" and you likely wouldn't even notice it.  For all intents and purposes.. it could feel like no loading at all.

Do people believe in that rumor about Playstation high-data speed cartridges? Some people took the patent and created renders of them.

SSD prices may be quite low, but that doesn't they're gonna throw in more than 1TB of SSD storage. So, to keep PS5 manufacturing costs as low as possible, what if they have it with 1TB of SSD, but then they sell 512GB cartridges for like $80, and then you can buy a PS5 game from a vending machine that has the data and will assign a license to your cartridge (and your PSN account) and you just stick in your cartridge and download the game super quick, and take that home to play on your PS5?

So the PS5 would need an high-data port in addition to having a traditional blu-ray drive. So there might be some costs there.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Do people believe in that rumor about Playstation high-data speed cartridges? Some people took the patent and created renders of them.

SSD prices may be quite low, but that doesn't they're gonna throw in more than 1TB of SSD storage. So, to keep PS5 manufacturing costs as low as possible, what if they have it with 1TB of SSD, but then they sell 512GB cartridges for like $80, and then you can buy a PS5 game from a vending machine that has the data and will assign a license to your cartridge (and your PSN account) and you just stick in your cartridge and download the game super quick, and take that home to play on your PS5?

So the PS5 would need an high-data port in addition to having a traditional blu-ray drive. So there might be some costs there.

They are 10 pin cartridges, that tap at 1gbp in the absolute best case scenario. They will be used for something other than SSD related.

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

IMO, this is where AI/machine learning comes in to assist. Additionally, there are already games on PS4 in which data is prioritized in order to start playing a game even before the game is downloaded completely. This is just an evolution of that and taking it multiple steps further.

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Given the rumored RAM configurations being about 20GB.. and rumored transfer rates which are possible due to the work Sony has been doing... it could take all of 2-3 seconds max to fill the entire system RAM.  That loading could easily be hidden behind a "transition" and you likely wouldn't even notice it.  For all intents and purposes.. it could feel like no loading at all.

It would still be loading tho.  I hope it is true but I doubt it . I'm willing to be proven wrong .

2 hours ago, jehurey said:

Compiled code doesn't take up much space, so it's not likely to get much focus with this. Assets are what takes up the vast majority of space and it's pretty easy to package them based on scene usage, so I wouldn't expect anything to change with regards to bugs.

2 hours ago, JONBpc said:

It would still be loading tho.  I hope it is true but I doubt it . I'm willing to be proven wrong .

lol well no shit stuff has to be loaded into memory... the point is that it wouldn't be very noticeable and would all appear seamless in the background.