Here we go - Shenmue 3 OT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just found out that you can buy healing items to use in combat, so ill just have to cheese my way through these encounters.   It doesn't help that the combat tutorial is nonexistent. The s

man this game is giving me some real feels. Its so shenmue, even the small details like the animation for opening your notebook is exactly the same.

10 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The game is dated for sure. I think this is a good follow up that successfully appeals to people's nostalgia, but if the series does continue with a Shenmue 4 then they will definitely need to modernize a lot of aspects of it.

Yea, I never played a Shenmue and it looks awful to me. I think a modern approach with maybe a recap of the story would be nice for newcomers. 

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, alcatrazkaz said:

Yea, I never played a Shenmue and it looks awful to me. I think a modern approach with maybe a recap of the story would be nice for newcomers. 

They could start by just taking a look at how Yakuza has built off of Shenmue's structure over the years, and try to implerment similar systems and mechanics.

Edited by Twinblade
9 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Even by shenmue standards, the amount of Meaningless busy work and lack of plot development Is kind of insane. I’m 25 hours in and i feel like almost nothing of significance has happened in the story yet.

Is it random how you detective work? Do people clue you on who to ask in chains, or is there some common sense to it, or do you just bother EVERY npc including children till you find the designated one?

26 minutes ago, kokujin said:

Is it random how you detective work? Do people clue you on who to ask in chains, or is there some common sense to it, or do you just bother EVERY npc including children till you find the designated one?

Nah, you question various people and usually multiple NPCs will be able to point you in the right direction which isn't too bad. But theres a lot of tasks that feel like nothing but filler. For example, sometimes you need to earn a specific amount of money to purchase a ridiculously expensive item which just boils down to you spending a bunch of time grinding the gambling mini games. The pacing is already slow but this type of stuff makes things move at a snail's pace.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Nah, you question various people and usually multiple NPCs will be able to point you in the right direction which isn't too bad. But theres a lot of tasks that feel like nothing but filler. For example, sometimes you need to earn a specific amount of money to purchase a ridiculously expensive item which just boils down to you spending a bunch of time grinding the gambling mini games. The pacing is already slow but this type of stuff makes things move at a snail's pace.

Thanks for the detailed response. It would have drove me crazy to get nothing else. I suggest little hacks like the triple points thing deena mentioned. I like the idea of npcs being useful. I think all rpgs should use a system like it. 

Edited by kokujin
1 hour ago, kokujin said:

Thanks for the detailed response. It would have drove me crazy to get nothing else. I suggest little hacks like the triple points thing deena mentioned. I like the idea of npcs being useful. I think all rpgs should use a system like it. 

I wish you were useful :scust: 

I just finished it. What a waste of time.

All of the major plot points and reveals can be summed up in a single paragraph. This game is 30 hours of pure fluff, and just when you think you're finally done grinding gambling tokens or catching chickens for some old dude with no relation to the story, it still manages to find new ways to pad itself out and just waste your time. If it at least had a satisfying ending, all the bullshit would be somewhat forgivable but the fact that nothing major happens despite the 18 year wait makes me feel not just disappointed, but straight up insulted.

I played through the Shenmue 2 remaster recently and honestly got more enjoyment out of it. This is a 6.0 quality game through and through, and even if there is a Shenmue 4 its going to be tough for me to muster up any excitement for it.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Upvote 1