PS5 SSD Expandable Storage Likely Confirmed (New Info Added to Existing Patent)

Like a dripping faucet, little by little, we’re starting to get a handle on the technical specification of Sony’s next-generation console, the PS5. Perhaps the most persistent of these leaks regarding the machine is that of the mysterious cartridge patent that we reported on just last week – the train of thought being that the cartridge might represent additional storage for the PS5 (which is expected to be ship with a 1TB SSD drive).

However, it wasn’t long before the patent was updated, revealing an updated pin layout (12 pins) that would make the cartridge unsuitable for a SATA connection, and thus, not able to function as expanded storage for Sony’s upcoming PlayStation 5 console.

sony-ssd-memory-ps5.jpg

Though the 12 pin layout would seem to rule out a traditional SATA connection, Sony has updated its patent on the cartridge, specifically stipulating that this cartridge would be used by an undisclosed piece of hardware as a storage device. The plot thickens!
So indeed it would seem that this patented cartridge device is intended to be some sort of additional storage, and with the PS5’s likely 1TB SSD (or even 2TB SSD) drive to be filled quite quickly by the bigger PS5 games that will come along (don’t forget PS5 titles will ship on 100GB Blu Ray discs, while the PS5 OS will take up a chunk of that in-built storage to begin with), it would seem prudent to us that Sony would want to ship additional storage as an optional purchase with the machine when it launches late next year.

The bad part is that Sony has a poor track record with how their price their proprietary memory cards.

But I wonder if they took a look a look at Nintendo's cartridge and see if they thought they could make it more feasible.

3 hours ago, JONBpc said:

Lmao , expecting vita levels of price fuckery if true .

Sure aza is willing to slob that up as a positive tho 

They can't let you shove any random SSD in there, its not an HDD. Plus SSDs dont even come in cases, they are basically a RAM chip.

What if some idiot tries to shove a NVME 3.0 SSD or a cheap slow ass NVME4.0 SSD.

Edited by Team 2019
5 minutes ago, -GD- said:

me neither, but the sony just can't compete with switch in the handheld realm. 

Eh, it just doesn't make sense to support two products like that anymore in the light of hybrid solutions. Like Vita and then Vita TV. It has to be hybrid moving forward and doing that would split resources which doesn't make sense today. I could see a hybrid PS4 or something, but who knows.

Just now, lynux3 said:

Eh, it just doesn't make sense to support two products like that anymore in the light of hybrid solutions. Like Vita and then Vita TV. It has to be hybrid moving forward and doing that would split resources which doesn't make sense today. I could see a hybrid PS4 or something, but who knows.

i would be down for a portable ps4, where it plays my current library.