Death Stranding Dunkey review

That's the thing about Kojima, there's ALMOST a game mechanic there. Like he had 80% of an idea for one legitimately interesting game mechanic, but he can't perfect it.

If you had assigned Miyamoto with this, and told him "Its a game about walking, you have to carry things, the more you carry the more difficult it is to walk, traversing the land is the challenge" Miyamoto would have be able to figure it out and make it fun.

lol the mario comparison 

did kojima really say it will be a new genre? a stranding genre?  lmfao :tom:  

Edited by alcatrazkaz
32 minutes ago, jehurey said:

That's the thing about Kojima, there's ALMOST a game mechanic there. Like he had 80% of an idea for one legitimately interesting game mechanic, but he can't perfect it.

If you had assigned Miyamoto with this, and told him "Its a game about walking, you have to carry things, the more you carry the more difficult it is to walk, traversing the land is the challenge" Miyamoto would have be able to figure it out and make it fun.

Lol no, miyamoto would just rehash the same ideas that his company has been rehashing for years now. Death Stranding executes its systems extremely well, not perfectly but then again this is unlike anything out there so you can't expect Kojima and his team to get everything right.

Edited by Twinblade
Just now, Twinblade said:

I exited the video when he said that nintendo made climbing fun in zelda. I usually like Dunkey's videos but this is not one of them.

The climbing was boring in Zelda, so I don’t take his reviews seriously. I do find them amusing, though. 

22 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Lol no, miyamoto would just rehash the same ideas that his company has been rehashing for years now. Death Stranding executes its systems extremely well, not perfectly but then again this is unlike anything out there so you can't expect Kojima and his team to get everything right.

LOL  you don't know what you are talking about.

"Rehash the same ideas", this is a fantastic line, especially after what Nintendo did to the core concepts of Zelda and how they took things about open-world games and made logical gameplay mechanics out of them.

8 minutes ago, jehurey said:

LOL  you don't know what you are talking about.

"Rehash the same ideas", this is a fantastic line, especially after what Nintendo did to the core concepts of Zelda and how they took things about open-world games and made logical gameplay mechanics out of them.

Miyamoto had almost nothing to do with BOTW though..

Just now, Remij_ said:

Miyamoto had almost nothing to do with BOTW though..

His standard role would be to do periodical checkups on development and its overall design.

But, thankfully, there are other people at Nintendo that are responsible for smart design ideas that I don't have to use Miyamoto as an example, I could switch it out for the guy who was demonstrating BoTW's "line of sight" design at GDC presentation, or maybe the main guy from the Tokyo EAD team that handles the Mario 3D platformers.

2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

His standard role would be to do periodical checkups on development and its overall design.

But, thankfully, there are other people at Nintendo that are responsible for smart design ideas that I don't have to use Miyamoto as an example, I could switch it out for the guy who was demonstrating BoTW's "line of sight" design at GDC presentation, or maybe the main guy from the Tokyo EAD team that handles the Mario 3D platformers.

Yea.. but you said "if Miyamoto had designed this"..  Twinblade said Miyamoto would just rehash shit.. and you brought up BOTW in your response.. so I just thought I'd say that Miyamoto had almost nothing to do with that game.

Which is good because if he had.. the game would absolutely still have the ridiculous hand-holding tutorials of past Zelda games that he was involved in and probably rehash a lot of shit. :ben: 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.. but you said "if Miyamoto had designed this"..  Twinblade said Miyamoto would just rehash shit.. and you brought up BOTW in your response.. so I just thought I'd say that Miyamoto had almost nothing to do with that game.

Which is good because if he had.. the game would absolutely still have the ridiculous hand-holding tutorials of past Zelda games that he was involved in and probably rehash a lot of shit. :ben: 

Except he did have something to do with that game, because if it needed to be changed for any reason he deemed unfit, he would've been in position to demand it.

There's only so much you can try and debunk a pure "what-if" scenario.

Nah, whatever criticisms you have have nothing to do about THE GAME MECHANICS when you see them at work. Tutorial or No-Tutorial.

Things that we didn't normally think about in previous Zelda games become core mechanics in the latest game. Traversal is a mechanic. Elements are mechanics. Fire has behavior and can be manipulated. Wind is something you have to account for.  Which means climate has to be accounted for. You make noise in the game. But that depends on whether other mechanics affecting your stealth ability.  And they way they have one thing affect other things is what makes the game be better then the sum of its parts.

And that's what I mean with this Kojima walking mechanic.  Its implementation of trying to keep balance seems like it doesn't look logical or practical.

10 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Except he did have something to do with that game, because if it needed to be changed for any reason he deemed unfit, he would've been in position to demand it.

There's only so much you can try and debunk a pure "what-if" scenario.

Nah, whatever criticisms you have have nothing to do about THE GAME MECHANICS when you see them at work. Tutorial or No-Tutorial.

Things that we didn't normally think about in previous Zelda games become core mechanics in the latest game. Traversal is a mechanic. Elements are mechanics. Fire has behavior and can be manipulated. Wind is something you have to account for.  Which means climate has to be accounted for. You make noise in the game. But that depends on whether other mechanics affecting your stealth ability.  And they way they have one thing affect other things is what makes the game be better then the sum of its parts.

And that's what I mean with this Kojima walking mechanic.  Its implementation of trying to keep balance seems like it doesn't look logical or practical.

Dude... Miyamoto didn't have anything to do with the design of BOTW.  He wasn't a part of any of the decision making to build the game around those concepts.  He approved them... after they were already implemented into something that he could play. He's supervised and gave feedback on those designs the team came up with... He wasn't in charge of the design at all.

BOTW is NOT a Zelda game that Miyamoto himself would have made... guaranteed.

And my criticism of him and his excessive tutorials and hand-holding was simply that... it's how you know when he has had little to do with a game's development.

14 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Dude... Miyamoto didn't have anything to do with the design of BOTW.  He wasn't a part of any of the decision making to build the game around those concepts.  He approved them... after they were already implemented into something that he could play. He's supervised and gave feedback on those designs the team came up with... He wasn't in charge of the design at all.

BOTW is NOT a Zelda game that Miyamoto himself would have made... guaranteed.

And my criticism of him and his excessive tutorials and hand-holding was simply that... it's how you know when he has had little to do with a game's development.

Dude......if he approves the mechanics and how they all work together, then he did have something to do with the game.

Do you think Kojima is the one there doing the programming or giving in-depth outlines about mechanics? LOL

Kojima is giving thumbs up/down, much more regularly than Miyamoto would, but Miyamoto does the same

No........there's is no correlation with the tutorial, none whatsoever. Because Eiji Auonuma is also there, and he would be responsible for the game with the least hand-holding and the Zelda game with the worst hand-holding (Twilight Princess). That's an irrelevant tangent that you're trying to use as a petty criticism.

Here let me be a little more concrete in proving you wrong:

When Miyamoto First Played Zelda: Breath of the Wild, He Wouldn't Stop Climbing Trees

Here’s a fun story from deep inside Nintendo, a company that doesn’t often speak openly about their development process. When Nintendo was first conceptualizing the next big Zelda game, Miyamoto and Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma asked the directors to describe Breath of the Wild’s main theme. What, they asked, could you do in this new Zelda?

Zelda: Breath of the Wild director Hidemaro Fujibayashi decided to get a little ambitious.

“My response to Mr. Miyamoto and Mr. Aonuma was: You can do everything,” Fujibayashi told me during an interview last week in San Francisco, speaking through a translator.

“But I had to sell it to them,” he said. “How we’re going to make this happen. And I felt like the best way to convey this idea to them was to show them that you could climb walls.”

Fujibayashi and his team built a prototype of Breath of the Wild. They put together a starting area with a small field and a handful of trees, then stuck rupees all across the world, hiding them in places that the development team thought Miyamoto and Aonuma might explore. Then Fujibayashi presented their demo to the two Nintendo elder statesmen.

“We put rupees at the top of the tree to let them know that this is something we’re taking into account, but I didn’t tell them,” Fujibayashi said. “All I did was say, ‘Here, play the game.’ So the first thing [Miyamoto] did was start climbing, and he climbed the tree, and once he was able to do that and see that he can go anywhere within this small field, he got how this game will play out and that’s how I presented it to him.”

Then they watched and waited. And watched. And waited.

“When we first presented this to Mr. Miyamoto, he spent about an hour just climbing trees,” Fujibayashi said. “We left little treats like rupees on the trees, but we also left other things in other places we thought he might go. But he just kept climbing trees. Up and down. And so we got to the point where we go, ‘Do you want to look at other stuff?’ But he just kept on going. Once [he] got out of the Shrine of Resurrection, he spent an hour just within a 25-50 meter radius outside of that cave just climbing trees.”

It was then that Fujibayashi and his team realized they’d made something special—a game where the act of climbing could be just as fun as riding horses and slashing monsters. From there, they designed around a concept that they called “multiplicative gameplay,” referring to the way in which Breath of the Wild’s various objects and mechanics work to enhance one another. Instead of adding a bunch of new gimmicks and ideas, they picked a few core mechanics—climbing, gliding, magnetic force—and tried to use them in as many ways as possible.

Think of Shigeru Miyamoto as the worlds greatest and most important play-tester.

This is not new, I've seen this happen in behind-the-scenes videos of Cory Barlog when they were developing GoW2.

Miyamoto pointed out what they should focus their game mechanics on. Miyamoto LITERALLY affected the outcome of the game's development.

Edited by jehurey
2 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Dude......if he approves the mechanics and how they all work together, then he did have something to do with the game.

Do you think Kojima is the one there doing the programming or giving in-depth outlines about mechanics? LOL

Kojima is giving thumbs up/down, much more regularly than Miyamoto would, but Miyamoto does the same

No........there's is no correlation with the tutorial, none whatsoever. Because Eiji Auonuma is also there, and he would be responsible for the game with the least hand-holding and the Zelda game with the worst hand-holding (Twilight Princess). That's an irrelevant tangent that you're trying to use as a petty criticism.

Here let me be a little more concrete in proving you wrong:

Think of Shigeru Miyamoto as the worlds greatest and most important play-tester.

This is not new, I've seen this happen in behind-the-scenes videos of Cory Barlog when they were developing GoW2.

Miyamoto pointed out what they should focus their game mechanics on. Miyamoto LITERALLY affected the outcome of the game's development.

^LOL

Miyamoto did not design the game.  He didn't approve mechanics... he tested and gave feedback on mechanics that were already decided upon to improve upon them in any way.  So no... he didn't create BOTW's open world systems and how they function...

He's no less a legend and one of the all time greats... but he didn't design BOTW..

32 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

^LOL

Miyamoto did not design the game.  He didn't approve mechanics... he tested and gave feedback on mechanics that were already decided upon to improve upon them in any way.  So no... he didn't create BOTW's open world systems and how they function...

He's no less a legend and one of the all time greats... but he didn't design BOTW..

Yes he did change the outcome of the game.........he had a hand in the game's core design.

And secondly, you're trying to stick with semantics with "design a game"

I said he would've fixed Kojima's failure in his walking mechanics, and been able to recommend what works and what doesn't.