USGamer via CNet: Amazon Will Reportedly Announce a Cloud Gaming Service Next Year

1 minute ago, Goukosan said:

Yea it matters if it was showcased as a road map feature then it not being there at launch it moot. :shrug:

Stadia is a service not a console, a service can rebound after a terrible launch because it's not an enclosed box like a console..whereas a terrible launch can doom a console. 

They stumbled out the gate, but let's see if they stick with it for the long haul. 

That's what I'm trying to recall if it was a "road map" feature or not.

There's been plenty of services that launched, developed more and still failed. Google isn't bullet proof and the Google Graveyard is evidence. This is expensive infrastructure and while it's not as expensive as laying it down like Fiber, it can still fail. Worst comes to worst they can use it for their cloud services at the end.

20 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

That's what I'm trying to recall if it was a "road map" feature or not.

There's been plenty of services that launched, developed more and still failed. Google isn't bullet proof and the Google Graveyard is evidence. This is expensive infrastructure and while it's not as expensive as laying it down like Fiber, it can still fail. Worst comes to worst they can use it for their cloud services at the end.

54 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

Google stadia had a horrible launch.  Google tends to launch shit in beta and build on it and improve for years to come. 

They also sometimes drop projects midway as well.  So it could go either way. 

As I said earlier I agree that their graveyard is filled......... but their Trophy case of successes is also overflowing. 

It can go either way with Google. 

9 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Lets go ahead and pretend it was, in your words, "make a splash". They are already give away bottom of the barrel games, yes I agree. There's a few good ones here and there, but very few and far, far between.

:roll:

9 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Amazon Music and Amazon Music Unlimited are one and the same. One is "free" limited version, the other is paid on top ala Twitch Prime and Twitch Turbo, but the latter don't require Prime.

Yeah, I know. That's why I compared them. All their services offer that distinction. That's why I'm arguing for it being the model they go with in a game streaming platform. It's not a separation from Prime, it's an upsell to Prime members that get their feet wet with the Prime sub offering.

21 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

You suggested that Prime would be the gateway without considering additional cost which is highly unlikely

It's not a lack of consideration for additional cost, it's just the Amazon way. The free tier is a loss leader to push people towards additional revenue streams or to keep people subbed to Prime.

The only argument is that the additional costs are going to be so high that it's cost prohibitive as a loss leader, but neither of us have even attempted to qualify what exactly the free tier offers so I'm not sure that really works either. I'm not expecting anything on the level of Prime Video, so I don't see that being a problem.

33 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

without considering that Prime is a cost in and of itself.

Really? Like it's not obvious when I say "free" I'm talking about free to Prime subs? Yeah, Prime has a cost to it. The idea is that they can offer it as a value add to the 105+ million Prime subscribers in the US without those people immediately having to spend $20, $30, or $60 on a game to test the service out like is the case with Stadia currently.

I'll refer to it as the Prime sub tier for clarity.

38 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I mean, you're saying exactly what I suggested with your last statement except injecting Prime as if it's really free. *shrug* This is going to be a standalone service that costs money; nothing comes free.

How is having opposite takes on whether a Prime sub tier will exist imply we're suggesting the same thing? Is the entirety of your argument that Prime isn't free, so a Prime sub tier doesn't change things compared to Stadia? Ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I think it's pretty safe that Amazon isn't even going to fuck with Prime at all

All of Amazon's services have ties to Prime except for Audible...safe to say this won't. :grimaceright:

46 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

it'll all be revolving around Twitch and its services. Twitch is synonymous with gaming, game streaming, etc. so their best bet is to market the service around that, and not something around online shopping and two day delivery guarantees.

You read the part where I said bolt it onto Twitch, right?

I don't think Amazon will announce it the way Google TRIED to announce it, like as if it was a formal entry into the video game market.

Amazon could do it with small time games, and chances are they can build a stable of exclusive indie and mid-tier games. Its probably meant as a supporting feature for Twitch.

11 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Yeah, I know. That's why I compared them. All their services offer that distinction. That's why I'm arguing for it being the model they go with in a game streaming platform. It's not a separation from Prime, it's an upsell to Prime members that get their feet wet with the Prime sub offering.

It's not a lack of consideration for additional cost, it's just the Amazon way. The free tier is a loss leader to push people towards additional revenue streams or to keep people subbed to Prime.

The only argument is that the additional costs are going to be so high that it's cost prohibitive as a loss leader, but neither of us have even attempted to qualify what exactly the free tier offers so I'm not sure that really works either. I'm not expecting anything on the level of Prime Video, so I don't see that being a problem.

Really? Like it's not obvious when I say "free" I'm talking about free to Prime subs? Yeah, Prime has a cost to it. The idea is that they can offer it as a value add to the 105+ million Prime subscribers in the US without those people immediately having to spend $20, $30, or $60 on a game to test the service out like is the case with Stadia currently.

I'll refer to it as the Prime sub tier for clarity.

How is having opposite takes on whether a Prime sub tier will exist imply we're suggesting the same thing? Is the entirety of your argument that Prime isn't free, so a Prime sub tier doesn't change things compared to Stadia? Ridiculous.

All of Amazon's services have ties to Prime except for Audible...safe to say this won't. :grimaceright:

You read the part where I said bolt it onto Twitch, right?

Just now, Hot Sauce said:

If Amazon's game streaming platform doesn't launch with a Prime sub tier I'll buy you a year of it so you can enjoy it as if it was. :downs:

I already have Prime, but if they jack up my prices because of this I'll hold you to it. :whipit: