Half-Life Alyx - Official Announcement Trailer

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish people could just admit that they're mad at the game because it requires them to own something instead of not being "HL3" and that they could be excited for the fact that it could actually be a

Yea.  It's awesome that they're supporting all 3 styles.  Teleportation and turning increments is pretty much the standard at the moment and works very well.  The shifting, as you say, is a good mediu

The amount of interaction with objects in that trailer is nuts.

19 minutes ago, Ike said:

$1200 just to buy the headset. You'll also need a $1500+ PC to run it well.

This supports regular VR headsets like the Vive and Oculus, the question now is whether its controls or other features will differ depending on what headset you use.

Edited by Twinblade

So where to start.

The graphics are decent, but they look like the jump in graphics one would expect out of Half-Life for this current gen. It looks clean, small objects look well-defined, and its obviously supposed to run at 80-90fps, so I understand how they still need to keep things simple. But I was expecting more.

But more importantly, I don't think they're addressing "walking" in first-person.  All of those scenes was Alyx just standing there within a 3 foot diameter. The game seems to require leaning and turning around so that they can shoot the people around them, so this is a mandatory standing VR  game that will require sufficient space. My guess is Alex does the required actions in one spot, kills enemies in one spot, and then the game automatically walks for you in a cinematic way to the next "spot" where something else will happen. Maybe if you see an object nearby, you can point and highlight it, and it stops walking and moves closer to the highlighted item.

I'm sure its going to have the best, highest-quality in-game animation, cinematics, voiceover, and that type of stuff. But its still facing the same limitations that all other VR FPS games do.

Its making me wish there was a Chronicles of Riddick VR game.

12 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So where to start.

The graphics are decent, but they look like the jump in graphics one would expect out of Half-Life for this current gen. It looks clean, small objects look well-defined, and its obviously supposed to run at 80-90fps, so I understand how they still need to keep things simple. But I was expecting more.

But more importantly, I don't think they're addressing "walking" in first-person.  All of those scenes was Alyx just standing there within a 3 foot diameter. The game seems to require leaning and turning around so that they can shoot the people around them, so this is a mandatory standing VR  game that will require sufficient space. My guess is Alex does the required actions in one spot, kills enemies in one spot, and then the game automatically walks for you in a cinematic way to the next "spot" where something else will happen. Maybe if you see an object nearby, you can point and highlight it, and it stops walking and moves closer to the highlighted item.

I'm sure its going to have the best, highest-quality in-game animation, cinematics, voiceover, and that type of stuff. But its still facing the same limitations that all other VR FPS games do.

Its making me wish there was a Chronicles of Riddick VR game.

Maybe they solved it and you can walk around freely, none of the teleporting shit. I don't think they make the game on rails, but if so then fuck them. :drake:  

you are right though, it kinda looks like it 

Edited by alcatrazkaz

Graphics are nothing special looking at the trailer but that will look great in VR, similar VR titles have much less going on right now. 

Object interaction looks good too, there are a lot of small objects on that shelf which looks a bit more serious compared to all the oversized things you usually see in VR games. 

Best of all THHBFR 15 years later still no HL3 go buy that VR headset and controller pair Gabe needs your milk money :heh:

Edited by bhytre
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Locomotion is confirmed, so if there is an on rails option it won't be the only option.

aight, fuck this game then :( 

Holy fucking shit that looks so godly... 

And lmao the guys talking like the graphics are only average... lmao when you see those graphics in the headset, it's going to blow anything else away.. trust me on that.

The animations and interaction look a gen ahead of anything I've seen or played.  The enemy AI also looks like it's going to be pretty awesome.

Apart from all that... it was just a fucking dope trailer as well.

Just 4 months away :glad: 

PCPC#1 :smoke: 

Community-built environments

A set of Source 2 tools for building new environments will ship with the game, enabling any player to build and contribute new environments for the community to enjoy. Hammer, Valve’s level authoring tool, has been updated with all of the game’s virtual reality gameplay tools and components.

:juggle: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Go fuck yourself :tom: 

The most waited for gsme in the world a d the fuck the fans :D Fat Gabe jealous of big dick Sweeny and he wanted to fuck someone too ....so he fucked all fans :D

Thhb, literally , R

Just now, JONBpc said:

The most waited for gsme in the world a d the fuck the fans :D Fat Gabe jealous of big dick Sweeny and he wanted to fuck someone too ....so he fucked all fans :D

Thhb, literally , R

:blessed: 

A typical 2D HL game would be so fucking boring compared to what this can potentially be.  They wouldn't have ever even done this shit if it wasn't for the ability to bring a new kind of experience out of it... and VR allows them to do that an innovate in the space.

If you're that big of a fan of HL.. you'll find a way to play the game. :smug: 

You can get a Rift S for like $500 or a Quest for $400 and connect it to your PC.  People spend $500 on a console with shit games at launch.. HL fans will buy head sets for this.

VRVR#1 :glad: 

Just like I said for the longest time , valve cant compete with the big boys . 

Vr standards are so low they actually have a chance there .

Nobody in the world except for cucks like you would have a shitty mid story vr game over hl3 

Fuck , you LMAL

27 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Just like I said for the longest time , valve cant compete with the big boys . 

Vr standards are so low they actually have a chance there .

Nobody in the world except for cucks like you would have a shitty mid story vr game over hl3 

Fuck , you LMAL

Somebody is mad :tom:

bub ut valve can't compete with tha big bois :cry:

run along and click that little "surprise me" button for a new gamepass game to play bitch :hest: