Half-Life Alyx - Official Announcement Trailer

Just now, -GD- said:

how much is the device?

It supports almost every VR set you can connect to a PC.  So Vive, Rift, Quest, and Index... but also Windows MR sets.  Which means you could buy a fairly cheap $200-300 set and play it.

The Index itself though is very expensive.  But it's also the best selling thing on Steam right now :D 

Should mention you also get the game free when you buy the headset or the Index controllers.

jidss.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wish people could just admit that they're mad at the game because it requires them to own something instead of not being "HL3" and that they could be excited for the fact that it could actually be a

Yea.  It's awesome that they're supporting all 3 styles.  Teleportation and turning increments is pretty much the standard at the moment and works very well.  The shifting, as you say, is a good mediu

The amount of interaction with objects in that trailer is nuts.

Just now, Remij_ said:

It supports almost every VR set you can connect to a PC.  So Vive, Rift, Quest, and Index... but also Windows MR sets.  Which means you could buy a fairly cheap $200-300 set and play it.

The Index itself though is very expensive.  But it's also the best selling thing on Steam right now :D 

Should mention you also get the game free when you buy the headset or the Index controllers.

jidss.png

damn lol. i'll have to pass. i don't even have a pc :D 

1 minute ago, -GD- said:

damn lol. i'll have to pass. i don't even have a pc :D 

Yea.  It's steep enough assuming you already own a gaming PC and just have to buy a headset.  If you don't already own a PC though... yea not many people would bother.

That said, Valve are going out of their way to make it as cheap as possible in my eyes.  They're supporting all headsets and the min specs aren't that high at all.

It'll very likely come to PS5 and PSVR2 at some point, so maybe that will be a better route for you to go, if you're planning on buying a PS5 in the future anyway.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

Nah, locomotion is being able to move around. Teleporting is still considered locomotion and will be in the game, as will shifting (teleport from A to B but with the animation, basically click to move kind of thing), and full control via an analog stick (the good shit) will as well. They're listed under movement on the game's site:

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

awesome! :glad:  

30 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Probably because I'm the only one here with a PC VR set you fuckknob :tom: 

I understand you're butthurt as fuck right now.. and the reason I'm not.. is because I have a VR set... so it really doesn't fucking matter to me what Valve decided to do with Half Life.  I even mentioned many times before that for Valve to make HL3, they would have to be able to do something different with it.  It would have to be stellar in some respect to justify it being made.  Since the very beginning I've spoken highly about VR and what it could do for a game like Half Life.

So go fuck yourself :)

This is like gloating that you ride the short bus at school lmfao. Don’t really think anyone cares or is jealous of you bruh.

Nobody cares about some vr tech demo when valve has been silent for years and this is what they come out of hiding and have to show. 

54 minutes ago, Delita said:

Nobody:

literally no one:

Remij: this is exactly what I wanted from the next half life all along!

I have no idea why you say it like that because I was saying the next Half Life will be some VR high tech shit for years. It couldn't have been any more obvious. Most people knew it will be something like that.

And to you guys arguing about disappointment because it's not HL3. LOL. This is basically HL3 in that regard. A HL game after so many years, prequel or not, i don't care it looks awesome.

Edited by alcatrazkaz
  • Upvote 1
33 minutes ago, Spicalicious said:

Sure but they could've possibly made more money.  Let's say average game price is $60-$70 each across the globe, if they sell a million then they make $70 million.  Releasing the game to the masses would potentially make so much more.

I think I'm going to credit this game as the official kickoff to true VR gaming.  Good old Gaben.  He probably doesn't even care about the money and wanted to show everyone that good VR is possible.  He's old school after all and a lot of those guys grew up dreaming about flying cars and tru Virtual Reality.. I'm sure he's doing it because he has the resources.. and make a little money on the side maybe lol.  Hats off to Gabe. :leo:

I agree it would make them more bucks, but then it wouldn't be special. I think valve is in the position to try something new, they always did. I will forgive them the long pause, it might have been necessary to work on that tech. And I think they waited for the right moment. I mean that announcement came out of nowhere, one day people making stupid jokes about hl3 and next day they say "here is our new VR flagship title: Half Life" 

what a time to be alive :blessed: 

Spoiler

volvo has enough money, dont worry 

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce said:

Nah, locomotion is being able to move around. Teleporting is still considered locomotion and will be in the game, as will shifting (teleport from A to B but with the animation, basically click to move kind of thing), and full control via an analog stick (the good shit) will as well. They're listed under movement on the game's site:

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx/vr

Yea.  It's awesome that they're supporting all 3 styles.  Teleportation and turning increments is pretty much the standard at the moment and works very well.  The shifting, as you say, is a good medium ground between teleporting and full analog movemet.  You'll get a nice smooth transition from point A-B which will take into account a consistent speed as well as keep your movement accurate. 

One of the biggest contributing factors to motion sickness especially with the full analog movement is not being able to keep your direction perfectly straight when moving forward.  In many games if you move forward and a bit to the side at the same time it can easily destabilize you.  Same with inconsistent speed.  Subtle differences in analog pressure will cause you to speed up and slow down.  Since you're using your hands and interacting with the game at the same time as this is all happening, it's very easy to not be able to keep your speed consistent.  

Games sometimes also use the direction you're looking to slightly guide you in that direction while moving forward.  That helps keep you more in control as well.

I'm interested in seeing how Valve has handled all of this and whether or not they've improved it over some of the other examples out there.  I've built up quite a tolerance by now though.

• Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Delita said:

This is like gloating that you ride the short bus at school lmfao. Don’t really think anyone cares or is jealous of you bruh.

Nobody cares about some vr tech demo when valve has been silent for years and this is what they come out of hiding and have to show. 

Well the people bitching in this thread that it's not HL3 and traditional DO seem to care :drake: 

Go back to not caring then and get the fuck out of the thread.. wont hurt my feelings :tom: 

Gabe the con man desperately trying to sell his flop VR hardware and valve fans eating it up :mj:

Imagine if epic made the next fortnite FlopR exclusive:D

This game will flop as hard as the index LOL

29 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Gabe the con man desperately trying to sell his flop VR hardware and valve fans eating it up :mj:

Imagine if epic made the next fortnite FlopR exclusive:D

This game will flop as hard as the index LOL

Saying this after MS made you buy a $1000 PC to play the games you wanted :rofls: 

So, does this game utlize finger-tracking of any sort?

Because I'd say that you just use the main part of your hands to push things to the side, and it wouldn't surprise me that if you place your hand near a wall, or on a surface, the game is smart enough to animate your fingers accordingly to what surface you come up against.

But finger tracking doesn't appear to be a requirement, right? How many other VR makers currently have finger-tracking controllers?

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

So, does this game utlize finger-tracking of any sort?

Because I'd say that you just use the main part of your hands to push things to the side, and it wouldn't surprise me that if you place your hand near a wall, or on a surface, the game is smart enough to animate your fingers accordingly to what surface you come up against.

But finger tracking doesn't appear to be a requirement, right? How many other VR makers currently have finger-tracking controllers?

I wouldn't be surprised if it does with the Index, but defaults to the typical trigger pressure controls for non Index headsets.

In both cases the game will animate your fingers accordingly.  The Index controllers will simply feel a bit more 1:1.

Right now it's only Valve with finger tracking controllers, but Oculus has it coming to the Quest as well.. with no controller required.

2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

Well the people bitching in this thread that it's not HL3 and traditional DO seem to care :drake: 

Go back to not caring then and get the fuck out of the thread.. wont hurt my feelings :tom: 

You’re the only one butt hurt here bruh and keep bragging about how you have a Pc vr set which no one gives a shit.

But yeah, fuck half life 3, portal 3, left 4 dead 3, team fortress 3 etc. THIS is what fans want and have been Always waiting for from valve after doing nothing for years.

its like being excited for a diarrhea dump on your face

4 minutes ago, Delita said:

You’re the only one butt hurt here bruh and keep bragging about how you have a Pc vr set which no one gives a shit.

But yeah, fuck half life 3, portal 3, left 4 dead 3, team fortress 3 etc. THIS is what fans want and have been Always waiting for from valve after doing nothing for years.

its like being excited for a diarrhea dump on your face

I didn't say shit about owning a VR set.  I simply said I'm not butthurt like you because I actually own one.  You're the one coming at me trying to make me feel bad for wanting this.. how much of a fucking LOSER can you be?

Who's saying ANYTHING like fuck HL3, Portal ect ect? . ..Jesus Christ.  This is how you KNOW you are butthurt... you're whining because you have to talk about THIS game instead of those games :cries:

bubut thiz is wah dey giv da fanz aftur we waitd so looooooooongg  :cry: 

Cry me a fucking river dude and get over yourself.. you're embarrassing :tom: