Remedy - ps5 ssd may not be as good as you think

If games would stay the same in terms of scope and visual quality it’d make loading times be almost unnoticeable and restarting a level could be almost instant [in PS5 games].

However, since more data can be now used there can also be cases where production might be cheaper and faster when not optimising content, which will lead into having to load much more data, leading back into a situation where you have about the same loading times as today.

2 minutes ago, Voidler said:

That doesn’t make sense

SSD closes a bottle neck. The speed of HDD will increase a lot more than the size of games next gen - which will actually start to become limited by Blu Ray capacities

Game size next gen is probably going to be absurd. We have games now pulling up on 150 gigs

I bet digital store owners are going to have a rule where they will financially penalize game makers who end up having games with huge file sizes. Probably resulting in an additional "tax" that is taken out of the Developers/Publishers cut of the revenue.

And Sony/MS can say that its a necessary tax to maintain their servers.

That will force the Publisher to make the developer optimize the game. OR, as Remedy says, this allows developer to be lazy, and the upside to that is they can churn out and finish a game's development faster, so its worth it anyways.

If Remedy releases 3 games during the next gen instead of 2 games over that same period of time because they saved time by not needing optimization, then its worth it.

Edited by jehurey
1 hour ago, Voidler said:

That doesn’t make sense

SSD closes a bottle neck. The speed of HDD will increase a lot more than the size of games next gen - which will actually start to become limited by Blu Ray capacities

No.. it makes complete sense.

The idea of course is that developers intent on pushing boundaries will continue to optimize and design their games around this super fast storage.

37 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Game size next gen is probably going to be absurd. We have games now pulling up on 150 gigs

I mean a 100GB game would need to become 4 TB to match the increase in sequential read speeds of a PCIe 4.0 SSD over an HDD. Games could quadruple in size and the difference in sequential read speeds would still be an order of magnitude.

This is also all assuming that an increase in disk usage is linear with the requirements of a given scene. Something like RDR3 being 600GB because the game world quadrupled in size wouldn't demand 4x the asset data for individual frames, for example. 

3 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

I mean a 100GB game would need to become 4 TB to match the increase in sequential read speeds of a PCIe 4.0 SSD over an HDD. Games could quadruple in size and the difference in sequential read speeds would still be an order of magnitude.

This is also all assuming that an increase in disk usage is linear with the requirements of a given scene. Something like RDR3 being 600GB because the game world quadrupled in size wouldn't demand 4x the asset data for individual frames, for example. 

Well ill take a game developers word over System Warriors.

16 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Well ill take a game developers word over System Warriors.

It's not even a SystemWars thing, it's just common sense what he's saying. He's not saying the SSD "may not be as good as you think", it's just your misinterpretation.

22 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

It's not even a SystemWars thing, it's just common sense what he's saying. He's not saying the SSD "may not be as good as you think", it's just your misinterpretation.

I mean he flat out says load times could end up being what they are today. There is nothing to misinterpret.

Just now, JONBpc said:

I mean he flat out says load times could end up being what they are today. There is nothing to misinterpret.

And I'm flat out saying that your thread title is misleading, missing crucial context to his statements which you continually ignore, and I'm not disagreeing with him. There's going to be those type of developers... next generation consoles don't solve deadlines, budgets and technical hurdles.

1 minute ago, lynux3 said:

And I'm flat out saying that your thread title is misleading, missing crucial context to his statements which you continually ignore, and I'm not disagreeing with him. There's going to be those type of developers... next generation consoles don't solve deadlines, budgets and technical hurdles.

Its not misleading, the context is in the thread, and you agree.

Ok Dumbo LOL