Remedy - ps5 ssd may not be as good as you think

10 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

I mean he flat out says load times could end up being what they are today. There is nothing to misinterpret.

It doesn't matter how "big the games get"... what matters is that there's X amount of RAM and Y speed from the SSD to that memory.  You're only ever going to have 20GB (let's say) to fill... so while he's absolutely right that it's possible devs could use the speed as a reason to do less optimization... assuming that the I/O has a bandwidth of 5GB/s-10GB/s.. you're really should only ever need a 2-4 seconds.

It's going to be a substantial improvement in every regard.

Edited by Remij_

Well, to put some context into it, Insomniac Games says Spider-man takes up 5,193MB of memory on PS4. We've seen a live demonstration of next gen PS5 dev kit loading that in roughly ~0.8 seconds. Not sure if the 5.2GB is base or Pro assets, but gives us a rough estimation at how fast it is as loading a scene. I don't think we'll be seeing stupid high load times like we have this generation.

• Like 1