Samsung confirms that next-gen console SSD are pretty fucking awesome

DSC05371.jpg

We are obviously getting some version of a customized NVMe, maybe even slighly better since it won't go through an interface and probably is just soldered directly to the motherboard.

Scarlett video said 40x+ increase in speed over current console hard drives if I remember correctly. So probably a 3-4x RAM increase and 40x SSD increase, that would put load times at over 10x faster load times over current gen going by the SSD/RAM ratio.

Edited by Team 2019
46 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

SSD speed and bandwidth is going to improve dramatically in the next 1-2 years. :smoke: 

DSC05343.jpg

DSC05393.jpg

The reality is tons of games are still going to be badly optimised, so we'll need to brute force that shit.

I expect some half assed optimisations on consoles as well outside of first parties.

Edited by Team 2019
10 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

The reality is tons of games are still going to be badly optimised, so we'll need to brute force that shit.

I expect some half assed optimisations on consoles as well outside of first parties.

No.  For the majority of games, it's going to help tremendously...

The games that will require that kind of I/O bandwidth will definitely optimize and take advantage of that speed and make their entire games seamless.  Don't even worry about that shit :D 

No load times is high on my priority list.

Id be happy with current gen graphics at 60fps, w no load times.

SO its looking like I am going to be even more impressed. Or maybe not, who knows. 

Last on list? ray tracing lol thhbo

11 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Lets be honest here, if the big hook for next gen is going to be load times being faster then thats hardly something to be excited about. I want to see physics and graphics tech improve above all else, if that means longer load times then so be it.

When I think of the speed of these new SSDs I don't think about loading times.. I think about how it's going to enable gameplay and game design to fundamentally change.  Games wont have to be structured in a way that limits the scope and ambition of the team.  

The physics and graphics are going to improve substantially regardless of all that.  Like I said.. I don't think people realize just yet how much better things are going to become very soon.. and it's not even the fact that the consoles are going to have high end hardware inside them.. it's the fact that the APIs and developers have more tools than ever before.. and AI computing is going to help devs create future games with just insane levels of detail and improved animation and physics.

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

No load times is high on my priority list.

Id be happy with current gen graphics at 60fps, w no load times.

SO its looking like I am going to be even more impressed. Or maybe not, who knows. 

Last on list? ray tracing lol thhbo

Looks like you're in for a rough time then :hest: 

2 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Not as rough as the RTX support for the past 12++ months :mroff:

As always, CONSOLES determine when PC evolves THHBO

You mean all of the biggest games that released this year?  So rough :drake: 

As always... consoles come LAST (especially the Xbox variety :hehe: )  :juggle: 

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

You mean all of the biggest games that released this year?  So rough :drake: 

As always... consoles come LAST (especially the Xbox variety :hehe: )  :juggle: 

All of the biggest games he says LMFAO

Consoles are game devs priority number one, always. Deal with it.

Your gfx card is more powerful than NEXT GEN consoles but devs do not care and will never cater to it. It will always be there to run console games at higher settings, THATS IT 

Game devs wont make the next gen jump until CONSOLES say its time, when it already could have been time IF any devs cared about PC

LMFAO THHBO

Just now, JONBpc said:

It will always be there to run console games at higher settings, THATS IT 

and THHBR he says.. .how will I ever deal???  :tom: 

You wasted money on an Xbox One X when no developers this past 12 months have catered to it at all, and have actually put out games that were worse performing than the only console they really care about: the PS4.

And MS has been doing more catering to PC than Xbox as of late.  Flight Sim, Age of Empires, Gears Tactics... :rofls: