Video game genres you loathe

• Puzzle games. Fuck them. Absolutely boring crap most of the time, getting stuck on stupid puzzles and if you solve shit the only reward is more puzzles. I love point and click adventures because they tell a story with characters, but pure puzzle games are a waste of time.

• Racing games. Modern racing games with real cars mostly bore me to death, it's fun for maybe 10 minutes. Lot of fantasy racer are cool tho like wipeout and mario kart. 

• Rhythm games. :scust: ??????

• Visual Novels. Actually never played one but they look so boring. I heard only good things about this time travel steinsgate thingy but I think there is something missing in the gameplay for me to enjoy it. 

Visual novels are the only genre I loathe. I could not care less about praise being heaped on a game in the genre, I will never have any desire to play it.

I generally dislike JRPGs, but if one of them gets GOTY hype or somebody that's not really into JRPGs says it's good I'll entertain the idea. I played Octopath Traveller and have come real close to buying Persona 5 a good dozen times over the years, but it's the time investment that turns me away more than anything each time.

The strand genre is off to a poor start, too. :ben:

• Haha 1

Google Play store had 10000000 and its sequel on sale for $1 each, and I had remembered Brad from Giantbomb praising those games.

And its a match-3 puzzle game with RPG-like upgrading features.

I instantly grew to like it.

And, of course the greatest puzzle game is Puzzle Quest. Boy, that game fucked me up good for about 2 weeks back in 2009, if I remember correctly.

Edited by jehurey
27 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Visual novels are the only genre I loathe. I could not care less about praise being heaped on a game in the genre, I will never have any desire to play it.

I generally dislike JRPGs, but if one of them gets GOTY hype or somebody that's not really into JRPGs says it's good I'll entertain the idea. I played Octopath Traveller and have come real close to buying Persona 5 a good dozen times over the years, but it's the time investment that turns me away more than anything each time.

If you can somehow play p4, preferably p4g, that would be the more ideal intro persona game. It’s half size of 5. 

Jrpgs

Battle Royale's

Fighting games

Puzzle games

Racing games.

Now keep in mind I've usually found an exception to this rule - BR's notwithstanding; but yeah those genres are low on my list of game's I'll be interested in.

42 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

lol agreed. kojima is up his own ass sometimes, this shit will never establish a new genre. :ben: