Phil Spencer "VR is not a focus of Project Scarlett because our customers aren't asking for it."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

His customers are asking for games but they aren’t getting those either

Got my use out of that dollar. Poured in about 60 hours into Outer Worlds.   ...........and then cancelled that bitch on the last day.       They EARNED that do

PSVR2 will benefit from all the PC VR games in the work right now. Games that simply can't be done on PS4 hardware. Really looking forward to it.

Plus ports of current gen games will be feasible, let's say Borderlands 3 or The Outer Worlds in VR... The future is promising as fuck.

21 minutes ago, Casual said:

He's right. VR will remain niche for the next gen. 

The big AAA blockbusters will remain focused on the non-VR experience. The biggest games you'll see in VR are spinoffs from second rate devs like HL:A. 

PSVR is at 5 million sold, that's 10% of the One's userbase, and the thing costs more than an S.

It's a huge success. It's just MS's console hardware sales are on the ropes and it would be insanity to even try to release a VR headset for the thing.

1 minute ago, Team 2019 said:

PSVR is at 5 million sold, that's 10% of the One's userbase, and the thing costs more than an S.

It's a huge success. It's just MS's console hardware sales are on the ropes and it would be insanity to even try to release a VR headset for the thing.

Sure it's a huge success because the expectations were low.

If you'e a triple A developer trying to recoup a huge budget game are you gonna want to sell it to a 5 million base or a 120 million base?

VR won't be prioritized until it's included in every console sold. Until then it's glorified minigames and the odd bite sized full experience/spinoff. 

4 minutes ago, Casual said:

Sure it's a huge success because the expectations were low.

If you'e a triple A developer trying to recoup a huge budget game are you gonna want to sell it to a 5 million base or a 120 million base?

VR won't be prioritized until it's included in every console sold. Until then it's glorified minigames and the odd bite sized full experience/spinoff. 

How is 5 million for a $200-$300 addon "Low expectations".

It's not supposed to be prioritised over anything, it's just another platform for games that will obviously support big AAA games. See Fallout 4, Skyrim and RE5 VR support, with PS5 hardware that will be even more common practice.

Edited by Team 2019
3 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

How is 5 million for a $200-$300 addon "Low expectations".

It's not supposed to be prioritised over anything, it's just another platform for games that will obviously support big AAA games. See Fallout 4, Skyrim and RE5 VR support, with PS5 hardware that will be even more common practice.

I said it exceeded low expectations. It''s a respectable number nothing more. Certainly nowhere near enough for it to be prioritized which is what needs to happen for it to become worthwhile. 

And I didn't realize those were the type of games we were talking about. I thought we were talking about actual full experiences tailored towards taking full advantage of VR. Not half assed VR shoehorned into a dumbed down version of a non-VR game. At least you're not delusional with your expectations then. 

Edited by Casual
1 minute ago, Casual said:

I said it exceeded low expectations. It''s a respectable number nothing more. Certainly nowhere near enough for it to be prioritized which is what needs to happen for it to become worthwhile. 

And I didn't realize those were the type of games we were talking about. I thought we were talking about actual full experiences tailored towards taking full advantage of VR. Not half assed VR shoehorned into a dumbed down version of a non-VR game. At least you're not delusional with your expectations then. 

Well no one is expecting an exclusive VR Cyberpunk game or Naughty Dog to make a VR exclusive game. No one is that delusional.

Just now, Team 2019 said:

Well no one is expecting an exclusive VR Cyberpunk game or Naughty Dog to make a VR exclusive game. No one is that delusional.

Cool, so you agree that VR will remain a gimmicky side project for the forseeable future?

1 minute ago, Casual said:

Cool, so you agree that VR will remain a gimmicky side project for the forseeable future?

What is a "gimmick" by your definition, it's supposed to have 50+ million dollar budgets for games? Obviously that's not going to happen, but you're going to get awesome shit like Beat Saber, Astrobot, Persistence etc as exclusives.

PSVR is enough of a success.

The thing is that Sony may actually have a decent path here. I'm not 100% sure, but I imagine that they are allowing PSVR 1st-gen headsets to work with PS5 because the PS5 will able to churn out higher framerate and probably be able to have some real Anti-Aliasing, so if you're PSVR owner and you trade-in your PS4 for a PS5, suddenly your VR games will look significantly better.

This buys Sony enough time until 2021-2022, they can continue selling PSVR1 bundles for $150-$180 this Christmas and next Christmas, just empty out their remaining stock.

And then in 2022, the PS5 is settled in, and they can release a PSVR2 accessory, hopefully the costs of components have improved, maybe they can introduce a high-quality headset and high-quality controllers for around $350 to $400.

I think Skyrim VR is the perfect model for these AAA developers to follow. Release your AAA video game, and then a year later sell a "Game of the Year" Edition that also makes the game VR compatible, or sell people a VR-compatible update for $15, the developer gets extra money, and its worth it to them.

10 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

Well it's another big plus in the bag for PS5. It's not like XBox needed some exclusive defining features for their platform anyways...

Huge plus for the under 5 percent that will buy it , lmfao.