Ray Tracing is overrated (not even trolling)

4k is nice but the sacrifice to get this on console isn't worth it. And on PC it's way to expensive.  Dynamic res is the way to go 

The best thing we've seen this gen is hdr. And  that's basically free.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

4k is nice but the sacrifice to get this on console isn't worth it. And on PC it's way to expensive.  Dynamic res is the way to go 

The best thing we've seen this gen is hdr. And  that's basically free.

I agree dynamic res/variable res is the way to go... but 4K isn't overrated.

I maintain that at the moment, the average person will not understand or see the importance of Ray tracing... but when games actually start being built around it, using it more, when you'll look back at standard rasterized effects, you'll wonder how you ever thought it looked realistic, or good.

I think that's a long time away . 4k is immediately noticeable.  Hdr is immediately noticeable. 

Ray tracing I had to switch back and forth to see what's different . Like oh , the lighting on the wall is different here . Especially at the perf hit you have to take , blah.

1 minute ago, JONBpc said:

I think that's a long time away . 4k is immediately noticeable.  Hdr is immediately noticeable. 

Ray tracing I had to switch back and forth to see what's different . Like oh , the lighting on the wall is different here . Especially at the perf hit you have to take , blah.

Well, we're seeing games with RT added after the fact..  Like I said.. the games haven't been designed from the ground up with these effects in mind yet.

You're not wrong.. in some cases.. but I'm telling you, as time goes on and games start being built with it in mind, you're going to start getting used to it.. then when you'll see something without it.. it'll look really bad by comparison.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You're not wrong.. in some cases.. but I'm telling you, as time goes on and games start being built with it in mind, you're going to start getting used to it.. then when you'll see something without it.. it'll look really bad by comparison.

Just like PhysX, called it. :face:

2 minutes ago, Teh_Diplomat said:

Just like PhysX, called it. :face:

PhysX is the most popular and widely used physics middleware in gaming.

So yes... it's going to be like that.  RT is not going anywhere... it's just gonna keep getting better and better until people are like.. man, non RT shit sucks. :shrug: 

12 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well, we're seeing games with RT added after the fact..  Like I said.. the games haven't been designed from the ground up with these effects in mind yet.

I don't think games will look bad without it . I'm not against it but they need to figure out the perf cost , cause at this point it isn't worth it .

Control is probably the most demanding game I've played on my pc . It runs much better than I expected coming from the era perf thread , but rt on wrecks performance.  And I'm like , oh , 720p render and medium for mostly 60fps for .....stuff I cant barely see . No thanks. 

Control only uses ray-traced reflections, right?

Its not full ray-traced lighting. Because that is not over-rated. That Quake 2 RTX is amazing, and once there's enough horsepower for natural lighting in modern games, its going to make previous lighting systems look primitive.

6 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

I don't think games will look bad without it . I'm not against it but they need to figure out the perf cost , cause at this point it isn't worth it .

Control is probably the most demanding game I've played on my pc . It runs much better than I expected coming from the era perf thread , but rt on wrecks performance.  And I'm like , oh , 720p render and medium for mostly 60fps for .....stuff I cant barely see . No thanks. 

It's the same thing as any other fundamental graphics technology.  New graphics technologies tank performance at first.. and people say it's not worth it... then over time it gets better and cheaper, and then eventually seeing a game without that technology makes it look primitive. 

Anti-aliasing

Ambient Occlusion

Soft Shadows

Tessellation (snow deformation and stuff like that)

Motion blur

All those things (and more) tanked performance at first.. and people said you didn't need them.  Now look at a game without AA... or AO.... or only hard shadows.. it looks terrible.  Ray tracing will be the same.. and ray tracing can do a much better job of all 3 of those effects.

I completely get not liking the performance impact.. but that's what has to happen for technology and game visuals to advance.