Rumor - ps5 is only 9tf

6 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

500 for 10TF is still great. 500 for 12 will be amazing. 

Regardless, with these rumours, if Sony has a $100 cheaper console with a 10-15% power deficit, it will easily win the launch war. 

They would yea.  But I can't see a world where MS let's them be that close and $100 cheaper.  MS would take the loss.  Also there's Lockhart to consider.  A $299 Lockhart with Gamepass and Halo Infinite would appeal to a lot of people.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Xbox is dead Jon

I don't mind launching with single SKUs then offering more powerful options 3-4 years into the gen. Worked pretty well this gen. I'm less a fan of X1, X1S, XSAD, XOX, etc Series X is definitely

where have i heard "xbox has so much variety, playstation only has uncharted" before?                     oh right    

7 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The tflop bullshit with X is throwing shit off. We don't know if it's 12rdna tflops. We need hard numbers.

Maybe it's not and if you just look at everything being said and seen it it becomes clear. Do you think they would need to make a machine that looks like that for a 10 Teraflop GPU?

What was the original speculation anyway with Anaconda? Wasn't it that it was going to be substantially more powerful than the PS5 but more expensive and Lockhart was supposed to offset this with a lower cost than PS5, what happened to that whole narrative?

2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

The tflop bullshit with X is throwing shit off. We don't know if it's 12rdna tflops. We need hard numbers.

It's not like they're going to measure their cards performance using the old architecture.

Just now, DynamiteCop! said:

Maybe it's not and if you just look at everything being said and seen it it becomes clear. Do you think they would need to make a machine that looks like that for a 10 Teraflop GPU?

PS4 had a GPU that cost like 100 bucks at launch retail if I remember. We're supposed to be getting something much more powerful than any current Navi out now and it's a lot more expensive.

Its kinda hard to add everything up into a rational price.

1 minute ago, Hot Sauce said:

It's not like they're going to measure their cards performance using the old architecture.

Another thing is Microsoft seems to swing on the safe side of things. Look at the Xbox One X, in practice it's really like an 80% more powerful system than the Pro given general results, and what do they say? 

Jiz9Ptp.png

Teraflops are what people have latched onto, it's what's been advertised so hard over the last 6 years. So if Phil says it's over 8x more powerful than the Xbox One and 2x more powerful than the Xbox One X it makes rational sense to attach that statement to Teraflops whether GCN or RDNA, not necessarily general compute. 

So when he says 2x more powerful than One X I don't take that as 9.6 Teraflops which translates to 12 GCN Teraflops, I take that as 12 RDNA Teraflops and that seems to be the case in what everyone is saying. It keeps the messaging simple, if he says "It's 9.6 Teraflops" that would just create confusion and people would be like so only 3.6 more than the One X?

Just say 2x and call it a day. 

28 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They would yea.  But I can't see a world where MS let's them be that close and $100 cheaper.  MS would take the loss.  Also there's Lockhart to consider.  A $299 Lockhart with Gamepass and Halo Infinite would appeal to a lot of people.

I'm starting to think that when MS said they are going to compete with power and price, that they possibly meant different systems, which would be disappointing. Meaning they compete with the PS5 on power with the Series X and on price with the Lockhart. I'm really not a fan of multiple SKUs at launch, especially ones so different. 

11 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I'm starting to think that when MS said they are going to compete with power and price, that they possibly meant different systems, which would be disappointing. Meaning they compete with the PS5 on power with the Series X and on price with the Lockhart. I'm really not a fan of multiple SKUs at launch, especially ones so different. 

lol this gen fucked the concept of consoles for me. fuck enhanced versions and graphics modes. give me one console one gen not this gimmicky bullshit. :tom: 

9 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

I think PS5 and Series X will be close enough.. in both price AND power.  The fact is that AMD is providing them the chips and there's only so much that will differentiate them.  It's possible MS held off for RDNA2 parts, while Sony maybe wanted to focus on other things and get well developed kits into the hands of developers much earlier.. which could pay dividends.  It's hard to say.. but that would explain the reports/rumors of PS5 kits being farther along and more powerful.  

So I think with that.. it's not like Series X isn't going to be competitive price-wise.  It all comes down to how much loss each company is willing to take.  In the case of MS, having Lockhart would potentially mitigate that, as I'm sure those consoles would sell quite well at $299.. and they'd be using rejected Series X chips.

But I agree with you on the dual-sku thing.  As much as I understand the reasoning for that approach, it does muddy the releases and pose questions of whether or not things will be hamstrung by it.. but I believe MS is smart enough to develop and balance the system so that it's completely transparent to the user.  It would be nice to have single skus from both companies.

As I said though... these things are becoming more generic tiered PC systems by the gen and have upgrade paths to keep people continually purchasing them.  It makes sense that they will want to target multiple price ranges and budgets.  Games these days can scale well... I'm not really worried about it.

Eh. I would be disappointed, Sony would be stupid to release a system with only 9 tf. All they have to do is put out a powerful machine (comparable to the series one), keep making award winning titles, and price the system competitively. That’s it. It would be a repeat victory. 

36 minutes ago, kaz said:

lol this gen fucked the concept of consoles for me. fuck enhanced versions and graphics modes. give me one console one gen not this gimmicky bullshit. :tom: 

I don't mind launching with single SKUs then offering more powerful options 3-4 years into the gen. Worked pretty well this gen. I'm less a fan of X1, X1S, XSAD, XOX, etc

31 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I think PS5 and Series X will be close enough.. in both price AND power.  The fact is that AMD is providing them the chips and there's only so much that will differentiate them.  It's possible MS held off for RDNA2 parts, while Sony maybe wanted to focus on other things and get well developed kits into the hands of developers much earlier.. which could pay dividends.  It's hard to say.. but that would explain the reports/rumors of PS5 kits being farther along and more powerful.  

So I think with that.. it's not like Series X isn't going to be competitive price-wise.  It all comes down to how much loss each company is willing to take.  In the case of MS, having Lockhart would potentially mitigate that, as I'm sure those consoles would sell quite well at $299.. and they'd be using rejected Series X chips.

But I agree with you on the dual-sku thing.  As much as I understand the reasoning for that approach, it does muddy the releases and pose questions of whether or not things will be hamstrung by it.. but I believe MS is smart enough to develop and balance the system so that it's completely transparent to the user.  It would be nice to have single skus from both companies.

As I said though... these things are becoming more generic tiered PC systems by the gen and have upgrade paths to keep people continually purchasing them.  It makes sense that they will want to target multiple price ranges and budgets.  Games these days can scale well... I'm not really worried about it.

Series X is definitely going to be competitively priced, the question is does that mean for what it is (I mean arguably 599 is still very competitively priced if its a 12TF machine) or competitively priced compared to the PS5. They seriously can not let Sony have the cheaper console. Even with more power, same price and GP they are going to have a challenge. Japan and Europe is already PS5 land before we've even started. It's practically a battle for USA and UK which they need to win to keep WW figures comparable. 

I hate launching with multiple SKUs because I really think the negatives of messaging and what perceptions it puts on each system outweigh the positives. Every gen has shown single launch SKU and then releasing multiple later is the way to go. 

A 299 lockhart and a 499/599 Series X really makes the Lockhart look like a pleb machine. It confuses gift buyers (parents) and makes ppl who buy the lockhart feel they really aren't getting a next gen console. We understand how consoles are becoming more tiered PC systems and that games scale and so on but the general consumer is the same it always has been. A 299 lockhart and a $100 cheaper PS5 than Series X will give the win to Sony imo. 

I think MS should focus solely on Series X, launch with 1 SKU. Have all the marketing and messaging it behind it. THen after a year introduce the cheaper lockhart then whatever other options they want. They'll open the market to the lower price point ppl and also have doubldippers from launch.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, madmaltese said:

I don't mind launching with single SKUs then offering more powerful options 3-4 years into the gen. Worked pretty well this gen. I'm less a fan of X1, X1S, XSAD, XOX, etc

Series X is definitely going to be competitively priced, the question is does that mean for what it is (I mean arguably 599 is still very competitively priced if its a 12TF machine) or competitively priced compared to the PS5. They seriously can not let Sony have the cheaper console. Even with more power, same price and GP they are going to have a challenge. Japan and Europe is already PS5 land before we've even started. It's practically a battle for USA and UK which they need to win to keep WW figures comparable. 

I hate launching with multiple SKUs because I really think the negatives of messaging and what perceptions it puts on each system outweigh the positives. Every gen has shown single launch SKU and then releasing multiple later is the way to go. 

A 299 lockhart and a 499/599 Series X really makes the Lockhart look like a pleb machine. It confuses gift buyers (parents) and makes ppl who buy the lockhart feel they really aren't getting a next gen console. We understand how consoles are becoming more tiered PC systems and that games scale and so on but the general consumer is the same it always has been. A 299 lockhart and a $100 cheaper PS5 than Series X will give the win to Sony imo. 

I think MS should focus solely on Series X, launch with 1 SKU. Have all the marketing and messaging it behind it. THen after a year introduce the cheaper lockhart then whatever other options they want. They'll open the market to the lower price point ppl and also have doubldippers from launch.

I think that's the idea.  I think their message will be that the Series X is the standard, base console and that Lockhart will come later for budget oriented gamers.. which will run all the same games as Series X but at a lower resolution and will be balanced to do so.

But yea.. I don't see them giving Sony a $100 price lead.. even at 12TF vs 10TF.  I can imagine that any money saved from Sony on the GPU side would be put into a more expensive SSD/RAM configuration.. especially if the rumors of HMB2/DDR4 or anything like that is true.  As said though... 10TF at $399 would still be a heck of a value.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Remij_ said:

HZD is coming to PC, natively. 

Why you keep bringing this up again just so I can throw it back in your face is beyond me :lul:  

Except it isn't, and you have no proof whatsoever.

There's no point pretending that to act confident. It simply isn't working.

Just now, jehurey said:

Except it isn't, and you have no proof whatsoever.

There's no point pretending that to act confident. It simply isn't working.

I'm quite confident.  You can tell by how I'm mocking you.

And yes... it is. :) I remember DynamiteCop telling me the EXACT same thing you are.  It's hilarious to me.  I look forward to putting you in your place :glad: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

I'm quite confident.  You can tell by how I'm mocking you.

And yes... it is. :) I remember DynamiteCop telling me the EXACT same thing you are.  It's hilarious to me.  I look forward to putting you in your place :glad: 

I love how you have to run to Dynocrap to make yourself pretend that you're confident.

That's how I can tell that you're not.

Your example..........is by a guy who's also predicting the same thing you are predicting and has a history of being magnificently wrong.

Was that supposed to be a helpful person to reference??? LOL

3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

I love how you have to run to Dynocrap to make yourself pretend that you're confident.

That's how I can tell that you're not.

Your example..........is by a guy who's also predicting the same thing you are predicting and has a history of being magnificently wrong.

Was that supposed to be a helpful person to reference??? LOL

The funny thing about this is the next person I'm going to be referencing when someone tells me what you're telling me is going to be YOU. LOL

The fact that you're SO sure I'm going to be wrong about this only works in my favor lmao.  Boom Jehurey.. BOOM! :hest: 

23 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The funny thing about this is the next person I'm going to be referencing when someone tells me what you're telling me is going to be YOU. LOL

The fact that you're SO sure I'm going to be wrong about this only works in my favor lmao.  Boom Jehurey.. BOOM! :hest: 

You're trying to pump yourself up. lol

And you're pretty much telling me that you have nothing except..........a futuristic expectation.

Good luck on that. Make some more noises for yourself.

14 minutes ago, jehurey said:

You're trying to pump yourself up. lol

And you're pretty much telling me that you have nothing except..........a futuristic expectation.

Good luck on that. Make some more noises for yourself.

No... I'm pushing you to dig your hole deeper and deeper... and you're gladly diving in head first LOL

Thanks for the good luck.  I'm not the one who's going to need it though.  I'm glad you're so confident... It's going to make it that much sweeter.

And let me inject this... I fucking WARNED you Jehurey :reg: 

:juggle: