Dan Ryckert leaving Giantbomb

12 minutes ago, roflpwnedz said:

lol does anyone here really care about videogame review sites and scores anymore

nah. i mean...for bragging rights on sites like this, i guess. however, the real world couldn't care less.

I liked Dan Ryckert because it caused Alex Navarro to talk less during the Beastcast. And he's got more practical views on video games, like as if he's still more of a genuine 15 year old boy. So the snooty video games doesn't impress him.

But he was also annoying on occasion.

And I think I preferred him better on the west coast podcast. So, this departure isn't exactly the biggest deal.

But its starting to feel like both podcasts are in a state of stagnation, the main guys that I like, they are starting to sound like they're tired . I keep on thinking of Chicano's thread of there being too many video games, and I get the impression that the Giant bomb people appear to be flooded by talking about too many video games.

I wish Vini could go back to the west coast and improve that podcast.

5 minutes ago, -GD- said:

tbh, i have never really checked out giantbomb (except when they started). what do you like about them? 

Giantbomb is 100% personality driven. Its all about their podcast and their live streaming segments, and it boils down to whether you like the banter between Gerstmann, Brad Shoemaker, Vini Caravela, and Alex Navarro, who are the 2005-era Gamespot guys.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Hot Sauce said:

Everything Jehurey said, but also:

Lmao i remember that. The part where they're like 'alright lets see how the pros do it' and then the guy just immediately crashes is amazing.

Edited by Twinblade
  • 1 year later...

So I just found out that Ben Pack left :D I was wondering why there seemed be no activity from him, and why the Going Rogue series was never continued. Probably the departure that has gotten the least amount of attention. Still, thats 3 people gone in a single year which isn't a good sign I feel.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

So I just found out that Ben Pack left :D I was wondering why there seemed be no activity from him, and why the Going Rogue series was never continued. Probably the departure that has gotten the least amount of attention. Still, thats 3 people gone in a single year which isn't a good sign I feel.

well he talked a little bit about why he was thinking of leaving. he said that he didn't like playing so many video games and it was killing the hobby for him, and the notoriety was getting to him.

I think it also speaks to the idea that maybe the newer members had such a salary that wasn't too exceptional, that they could just take another private job, still make as much money, but not have to force themselves to play so many games.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Gerstmann, Brad, Vini, and Alex and maybe a couple of other guys have more than just salary, but rather some sort of partial ownership or they are guaranteed a certain payout from whoever owns the website. So they are financially comfortable, but other people they hire may not get paid much for them to do this.

19 minutes ago, jehurey said:

well he talked a little bit about why he was thinking of leaving. he said that he didn't like playing so many video games and it was killing the hobby for him, and the notoriety was getting to him.

I think it also speaks to the idea that maybe the newer members had such a salary that wasn't too exceptional, that they could just take another private job, still make as much money, but not have to force themselves to play so many games.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Gerstmann, Brad, Vini, and Alex and maybe a couple of other guys have more than just salary, but rather some sort of partial ownership or they are guaranteed a certain payout from whoever owns the website. So they are financially comfortable, but other people they hire may not get paid much for them to do this.

I don't get the vibe that they play too many games and as a result it hurts the hobby for them. They don't really review anything like most game editorial sites so I don't think they're committed to playing games for long periods of time unlike a lot of people in similar positions. On the surface it seems like a very chill place to work at, but maybe theres some other underlying stuff that we don't know about yet.

2 hours ago, Twinblade said:

The reality is that Giantbomb is a jumpoff for these guys. It's a small company and the guys at the top are in it for the long haul at this point (Jeff, Brad, Vinny). I'm sure they're doing okay but there's also not much money left after they're paid. Honestly it's a great site for talent to work at for a couple years, get noticed and then go to a bigger opportunity. The sites respected and they give their staff a fair amount of freedom with their content. I still enjoy what GB puts out...it's the only gaming podcast I still listen to most weeks. That said, the core/longterm guys have a pretty narrow range of games they play. Brad straight up just sucks at games too lol...watching him do quick looks is painful considering he's been playing games for a living forever. Jeff likes what he likes and has pretty strong opinions on it...he does have a pretty solid taste in games at least imo but has large blindspots in the industry..he's kinda like the cool old uncle that has good stories/context from the past. Not huge on the Beastcast guys. I will say it's also kind of odd that they're the first big site to really push video content but nowadays their video quality/setup/etc. can fall behind that of a solo streamer on twitch.

Dan Rykert (and obviously Ryan before him) were huge losses to the site. Dan's been doing some streaming lately, guy makes great content imo. But as long as Jeff and Brad are there I think GB is fine. Plenty of young talent out there that wants to play video games for 80 hours a week until they don't anymore.

Edited by Casual
8 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I don't get the vibe that they play too many games and as a result it hurts the hobby for them. They don't really review anything like most game editorial sites so I don't think they're committed to playing games for long periods of time unlike a lot of people in similar positions. On the surface it seems like a very chill place to work at, but maybe theres some other underlying stuff that we don't know about yet.

i mean, that's what he said during a podcast in January.

I think the videos they had to make, and basically he had to play new games, all the while he plays his usual games of habit, and it all started feeling forced to where he wasn't enjoying it anymore.

And yeah like casual said, both he and especially Abby really sounded like they weren't going to have trouble booking another job. So it must have helped their online profile that other new websites looking for personalities will pay for their services.

Edited by jehurey