Dan Ryckert leaving Giantbomb

9 minutes ago, Casual said:

The reality is that Giantbomb is a jumpoff for these guys. It's a small company and the guys at the top are in it for the long haul at this point (Jeff, Brad, Vinny). I'm sure they're doing okay but there's also not much money left after they're paid. Honestly it's a great site for talent to work at for a couple years, get noticed and then go to a bigger opportunity. The sites respected and they give their staff a fair amount of freedom with their content. I still enjoy what GB puts out...it's the only gaming podcast I still listen to most weeks. That said, the core/longterm guys have a pretty narrow range of games they play. Brad straight up just sucks at games too lol...watching him do quick looks is painful considering he's been playing games for a living forever. Jeff likes what he likes and has pretty strong opinions on it...he does have a pretty solid taste in games at least imo but has large blindspots in the industry..he's kinda like the cool old uncle that has good stories/context from the past. Not huge on the Beastcast guys. I will say it's also kind of odd that they're the first big site to really push video content but nowadays their video quality/setup/etc. can fall behind that of a solo streamer on twitch.

Dan Rykert (and obviously Ryan before him) were huge losses to the site. Dan's been doing some streaming lately, guy makes great content imo. But as long as Jeff and Brad are there I think GB is fine. Plenty of young talent out there that wants to play video games for 80 hours a week until they don't anymore.

Yeah, Gerstmann may have a pretty good system setup where they hire a couple of young energetic people to add diversity, and they absolutely have them output hundreds of hours of content for Giantbomb covering the games that Gerstmann and Brad and Vini won't ever play, and talking about those games in the podcasts, and then the new guys move onto some other place.

Getting Ben Pack and Abby right around the time free-to-play games that "the kids" play ended up working out for them. They play the shit out of Fortnight and some off-beat indie game that about some social issue, or Among Us, and they come back and report on it in the podcasts and basically inform the rest of the crew about what is happening in video games.

Wouldn't surprise me if their merch store creates revenue that pays the older guys additional money outside of their regular salary.