How do you guys feel about the internet now?

Back then it was just a fuckin' frontier. So much crazy shit posted. When I was gone, from SW, I've spent most of my spare time online time on Reddit. Gotta than that "LMAO fuckin' hipsters" thread for helping me discover reddit.

But damn, sites like reddit, facebook, and twitter just made the online experience seem like a mess. I came back because I did miss the more personal experience of actually knowing other posters online rather than random strangers..

But yeah, the net is all sterile and corporate now...

Edited by Chicano3000
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It started off as such an amazing thing. It still is amazing. Everyone has the ability to use it to become smarter. The answer to every question is 3 seconds away. The knowledge that could be taught t

IDK how old you are, but im 38, and looking at how kids are now, especially the young ones....its sad.   Sure when I was young I played a lot of games and stuff...but id also spend 8 hours i

double-edge sword   pros: access to information is easier; you can make friends from across the globe and keep in touch with distant loved ones; streaming has changed tv for the better

It feels like there's LESS websites for people to frequent. 

Think about gaming websites or tech websites, alot of them got closed down or bought out and merged with others, and then those kept on downsizing or getting merged with other stuff.

They're getting replaced with youtube video channels.

I found an email from several years ago that had the web addresses of open tabs from my firefox browser from an older computer, and it had web pages to websites that don't exist anymore. Bums me out.

double-edge sword

pros: access to information is easier; you can make friends from across the globe and keep in touch with distant loved ones; streaming has changed tv for the better

cons: cyberbullying is fucked up (i would not want to be a teen today); many have poor "in person" social skills, due to mainly chatting online; social media warps expectations, making people think their life isn't good enough (when, in fact, it is)

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Delita said:

I like that I don’t have to wait 5 mins for a webpage to load, or having to restart my pc because it performed an illegal operation 

lol, I remember illegal operations. I used tot think that I somehow broke the law...

I wish I grew up without it. Or maybe even live without it. I would like to be stuck in the 80/90s forever.

when internet 2 launches (everyone gets a chip implanted) in the future, I hope they will make 2 separate modes; one for adults and one for kids with a "light" version, only access to information they need, or they actually working on right now. it will look like in minority report, dragging screens with your hands in front of you etc. :glad: 

i hate smartphones and people walking around like zombies :gross:  

I think what pisses me off the most is the usual:"I'm listening" when you tlaking to someone and their fucking eyes are focused on their stupid phone screen I learned to just say fuck it and end the conversation by leaving etc

Edited by kaz

It used to be kind of like the wild West before and you could always find somethign weird and new without too much effort put into your searches. The average population wasn't really using it so you didn't really see any of their stupid posts of what they did on a particular day.

Now you're kinda pushed or led into using the same sites the majority uses, does indeed feel quite sterile and dumb.  

You can still find interesting stuff but it requires maybe a little bit more effort than before and you might see less people looking at the same things.

Edited by bhytre

I remember the first few times I used the internet was I think around 98 or something and my sister would connect me some stranger on some site jsut to chat.

And I would ask:"do you know goku from dragonball?" :D  good times, a year later and i'm semi pro in counter-strike. B)  first online matches blew my mind cause it was fun to just tk my own people. 

• Haha 1

It started off as such an amazing thing. It still is amazing. Everyone has the ability to use it to become smarter. The answer to every question is 3 seconds away. The knowledge that could be taught to everyone is right there, free.

But it has become an extension of peoples personality. Probably in the worst way imaginable. Its become an extension of our existence for the most trivial of reasons. An addiction worse than the hardest drugs out there. A platform for everyone to voice opinions or ideas that should be kept to themselves.

Probably the greatest tool to hit humanity, and its used mostly for vanity. A disconnect from reality , it really is a tragedy.

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

It started off as such an amazing thing. It still is amazing. Everyone has the ability to use it to become smarter. The answer to every question is 3 seconds away. The knowledge that could be taught to everyone is right there, free.

But it has become an extension of peoples personality. Probably in the worst way imaginable. Its become an extension of our existence for the most trivial of reasons. An addiction worse than the hardest drugs out there. A platform for everyone to voice opinions or ideas that should be kept to themselves.

Probably the greatest tool to hit humanity, and its used mostly for vanity. A disconnect from reality , it really is a tragedy.

Yeah pretty much. I’m glad I made it through high school without social media or even cell phones even being a thing. At most dumbasees had pagers.

5 minutes ago, kaz said:

I would agree with jon if he didn't say that it can become an addiction worse than the hardest drugs :trump2:

I would say internet addiction is much a much bigger problem than even the hardest drugs out there.