How do you guys feel about the internet now?

When I got internet at home at age 15 it made me more introverted, as I finally found people with the same interests online. GS was the first place I was lurking in and eventually I became comfortable to post, but it wasn't until everyone moved to this place that I fully realized what internet really means. The off-topic and sharing pretty much any song or image was like magic, but Im glad I didnt get to discover it earlier, as those simple internet-free days were key in shaping my creativity and goals in life.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It started off as such an amazing thing. It still is amazing. Everyone has the ability to use it to become smarter. The answer to every question is 3 seconds away. The knowledge that could be taught t

IDK how old you are, but im 38, and looking at how kids are now, especially the young ones....its sad.   Sure when I was young I played a lot of games and stuff...but id also spend 8 hours i

double-edge sword   pros: access to information is easier; you can make friends from across the globe and keep in touch with distant loved ones; streaming has changed tv for the better

7 hours ago, Chicano3000 said:

I can't find any torrent sites anymore ever since thepiratebay got shut down...

it's still up and running, I'll pm you the link and the mirror sites when I get home tonight. :face:

I agree with the "wild west" description. Anyone could go create a forum for anything. There were no "rules" as such, everyone was calling each other a faggot as the go-to insult and people would type ****** just because they could.

Sure it was immature as fuck but the internet was for geeks and teens and this kind of thing was taken as standard, nobody got offended. Compare that with say something like reddit where you see someone type "x is gay" and along comes a lecture and a ban for using such and such as an insult etc

Back then you needed a bulky PC to access the internet or at least a laptop. As phone browsers, phone apps and tablets all took over suddenly little old Maureen from down the street could go online too. At first people were separated, autists like us on systemwars, little old ladies and common folk on shit like mumsnet. However with giants like twitter, youtube and facebook everyone kind of got lumped together. I imagine for some people going on to youtube and seeing some of the comments there were quite a shock. 

I think thats how it is today. People like us that grew up on it still spam and troll, and the giant sites are all bland and sterile and full of censorship. Back then it was the golden age of internet forums or people created their own sites, geocities and angelfire and shit like that. Now everything has its own official website or official facebook group or reddit page etc and there's not as much taking off that's created by and run by the fans as much anymore.

On 2020-01-06 at 6:35 PM, JONBpc said:

It started off as such an amazing thing. It still is amazing. Everyone has the ability to use it to become smarter. The answer to every question is 3 seconds away. The knowledge that could be taught to everyone is right there, free.

But it has become an extension of peoples personality. Probably in the worst way imaginable. Its become an extension of our existence for the most trivial of reasons. An addiction worse than the hardest drugs out there. A platform for everyone to voice opinions or ideas that should be kept to themselves.

Probably the greatest tool to hit humanity, and its used mostly for vanity. A disconnect from reality , it really is a tragedy.

A good post.

Wait... JON?

Jon fuckin' B made this post?

Well I'll be damned.

• Haha 1

IF I was AL, I'd see the money in keeping this place running for decades. It's wonderful therapy. It's a small community, we understand racism and being shitty to one nother isn't neccesarily real prejudice. And, sometimes you need people who know you but 'don't know you' to vent your shitty ego out. While the rest of the world gets to know you on friendly social terms.  

Also the size of this place, I don't think it condones introvertism as much, and only weirdos like jimbo and... SPICOLI who would have become cave men in the first place take it that far.

6 minutes ago, kokujin said:

IF I was AL, I'd see the money in keeping this place running for decades. It's wonderful therapy. It's a small community, we understand racism and being shitty to one nother isn't neccesarily real prejudice. And, sometimes you need people who know you but 'don't know you' to vent your shitty ego out. While the rest of the world gets to know you on friendly social terms.  

Also the size of this place, I don't think it condones introvertism as much, and only weirdos like jimbo and... SPICOLI who would have become cave men in the first place take it that far.

Screw you, you stupid Jew.

9 hours ago, TLHBO said:

I agree with the "wild west" description. Anyone could go create a forum for anything. There were no "rules" as such, everyone was calling each other a faggot as the go-to insult and people would type ****** just because they could.

Sure it was immature as fuck but the internet was for geeks and teens and this kind of thing was taken as standard, nobody got offended. Compare that with say something like reddit where you see someone type "x is gay" and along comes a lecture and a ban for using such and such as an insult etc

Back then you needed a bulky PC to access the internet or at least a laptop. As phone browsers, phone apps and tablets all took over suddenly little old Maureen from down the street could go online too. At first people were separated, autists like us on systemwars, little old ladies and common folk on shit like mumsnet. However with giants like twitter, youtube and facebook everyone kind of got lumped together. I imagine for some people going on to youtube and seeing some of the comments there were quite a shock. 

I think thats how it is today. People like us that grew up on it still spam and troll, and the giant sites are all bland and sterile and full of censorship. Back then it was the golden age of internet forums or people created their own sites, geocities and angelfire and shit like that. Now everything has its own official website or official facebook group or reddit page etc and there's not as much taking off that's created by and run by the fans as much anymore.

hmm, i never cared for reddit until I realized it's the place where even devs of popular games use the platform to communicate with their fanbase like doto and poe.

I think the trolling era took a huge step backwards now since everyone is connected and people figured out how the internet works. In retro respect it's crazy to think because the very beginnings were completely open like you said. It was basically a free for all, nowadays you have an interest in mind and find exactly what you looking for. 

the hive mind is real. we are basically just ants because of the internet and yet we still can't prevent our "queens" from fucking up everything. 

also I think one of the best inventions of the internet is the "insult" or counter:"no u". No matter when or where I just love to hear it, it always makes me smile because it is so simple yet effective. some people take things way too seriously in rl, but even more so on the internet. and I mean writing down your opinion is hardly the same then saying it. some people still have a hard time to differentiate. 

let's all write a casuals of the internet book, bro. amongst everyone's stupid opinion, there's probably a smart collection. I'll even take chimp pimp's radar on the subject. Also, I really thank this place will be around 40 years later, and we'll all be posting, and they will be doing research on US on what the internet does to the mind. I think we should have a SW meet for all at some point. In Godmerica of course. Toronto in 10 years. The euro slags can take a pic at a hole in the wall and say they had one. I'm going to Flarida.   And try not to get shot. By the police or a Zimmerman 2.