Looks like Switch Pro is gonna be a DUD

So much for that Ampere Dock

According to a rumor circulating online, a new Nintendo Switch model could be released in the final quarter of the year. This new model will not adopt the new TegraX1+, but new custom processors Nintendo is developing with NVIDIA. The GPU will be based on the Volta architecture.

Even with new processors, however, major performance improvements and 4K support should not be expected. Production of these custom processors has yet to begin, according to information coming from Taiwan, so it seems unlikely that the model could be released before the end of 2020.

As the rumor comes from unspecified sources, we should take it with a grain of salt. The leaker, however, got a good reputation, as he correctly revealed information on mobile products before, so there may be some truth in what has been revealed today.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The battery for 4K on a handheld would last for an hour if lucky.

Actually, thats awesome info, because that implies they are trying to fit in Volta into the mobile unit.

Remij argued with me saying that Nintendo's 10 year contract with nVidia was to simply supply the SAME line of hardware throughout all ten years. Meaning, nVidia would make nothing but Tegras based ont he existing architecture (which is Maxwell/Pascal).

I said that Nintendo will eventually move onto new nVIdia architectures, and I said Ampere for future hardware (like 2021 or later).

So, the fact that they are working on a Volta-based piece of hardware..........and its coming during this year.........already proved me correct, and its good news. Especially if its Volta going mobile.

Edited by jehurey
4 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Actually, thats awesome info, because that implies they are trying to fit in Volta into the mobile unit.

Remij argued with me saying that Nintendo's 10 year contract with nVidia was to simply supply the SAME line of hardware throughout all ten years. Meaning, nVidia would make nothing but Tegras based ont he existing architecture.

I said that Nintendo will eventually move onto new nVIdia architectures, and I said Ampere for future hardware (like 2021 or later).

So, the fact that they are working on a Volta-based piece of hardware..........and its coming during this year.........already proved me correct, and its good news. Especially if its Volta going mobile.

You're conflating what I said. 

I never said Nintendo couldn't use another Nvidia GPU architecture...  I said that the contract was for 10 years of Tegra X1 production for Switch...  Meaning they would guarantee production of that chip for that long for Nintendo....

BIIIIIIIG difference there Jehurey.

I also said they wouldn't be using Ampere... and it looks like I was right.  Not even turing in fact :shrug: 

Edited by Remij_
2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

You're conflating what I said. 

I never said Nintendo couldn't use another Nvidia GPU architecture...  I said that the contract was for 10 years of Tegra X1 production for Switch...  Meaning they would guarantee production of that chip for that long for Nintendo....

BIIIIIIIG difference there Jehurey.

I also said they wouldn't be using Ampere... and it looks like I was right :shrug: 

Nope. I got it right:

Remij argued with me saying that Nintendo's 10 year contract with nVidia was to simply supply the SAME line of hardware throughout all ten years. Meaning, nVidia would make nothing but Tegras based ont he existing architecture (which is Maxwell/Pascal).

I said that the contract was for 10 years of Tegra X1 production for Switch...  Meaning they would guarantee production of that chip for that long for Nintendo....

I mean you're wrong............because they're now going to be putting Volta-based GPUs in this upcoming Switch. Which means that the phase out of Tegra X1s/X1+  Is already beginning in Year 3 of the 10 year contract.

Dude.............you know exactly what I was saying.

Nintendo is with nVIdia for 10 years, at least. They will be using FUTURE nVIdia GPUs.

You said "Nope...........its just Tegras"

This already proves you wrong.

5 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Nope. I got it right:

I mean you're wrong............because they're now going to be putting Volta-based GPUs in this upcoming Switch. Which means that the phase out of Tegra X1s/X1+  Is already beginning in Year 3 of the 10 year contract.

Dude.............you know exactly what I was saying.

Nintendo is with nVIdia for 10 years, at least. They will be using FUTURE nVIdia GPUs.

You said "Nope...........its just Tegras"

This already proves you wrong.

lmao no... :D 

They're possibly putting volta GPUs in a Switch... PRO...

Does this mention that production of all previous Switch models is stopping? :drake: 

They're not phasing out anything dude.. lmao.  And I never even said they they HAD to produce Tegra's for 10 years... just that they could have that contract in place to produce them for that long if Nintendo desired them.

LOL dude... stop strawmanning.  You were wrong.  No Ampere...  Like I said... I never said they couldn't/wouldn't use other Nvidia architectures... :francis: 

Edited by Remij_

The funny thing, I just remembered, is that you said that my thread about Ampere "was great news for Nintendo"... but yet they're using old Volta tech... lmao.  So like I said... nothing in that thread I posted had any effect on Nintendo's upcoming console revision.  Then you tried making it about 10 years in the future :kaz: 

I was right again :smug: 

2 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

lmao no... :D 

They're possibly putting volta GPUs in a Switch... PRO...

Does this mention that production of all previous Switch models is stopping? :drake: 

They're not phasing out anything dude.. lmao.  And I never even said they they HAD to produce Tegra's for 10 years... just that they could have that contract in place to produce them for that long if Nintendo desired them.

LOL dude... stop strawmanning.  You were wrong.  No Ampere... :francis: 

They're phasing out Tegras if they are having to move over to a Volta this quickly, especially considering Tegras X1+ just came out this past year.

Yes you DID say that the 10 year contract was just for Tegras

On 2020-01-02 at 7:26 PM, Remij_ said:

I don't need proof of anything.  Do YOU have proof that Nintendo is developing a new console or device with Ampere?

No... you don't.  It could just as easily be the next architecture after Ampere...

So no...  Nvidia having a 10 year contract for Tegra parts DOES NOT mean that Nintendo is using Ampere... Sorry.

Right there.............you were specifically putting the parameters right there.

Tegra-only, that 10 year contract existed for Tegra-only.

I said............the ten year contract will mean that the cutting edge hardware that nVIdia is making today will eventually find itself into future Nintendo products within these 10 years.

A 2017 Volta architecture is now finding its way into a Nintendo Switch WITHIN THREE YEARS.

That's not a stretch to make that claim.

Just now, Cookester15 said:

sorry but how does this mean it will be a dud? Because something jerry thought was happening isnt? I would much rather an upgraded switch unit not just a dock. 

Because they said dont expect a performance increase 

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

The funny thing, I just remembered, is that you said that my thread about Ampere "was great news for Nintendo"... but yet they're using old Volta tech... lmao.  So like I said... nothing in that thread I posted had any effect on Nintendo's upcoming console revision.  Then you tried making it about 10 years in the future :kaz: 

I was right again :smug: 

Nope..........you just got busted RETCONNING.

My very first post in that thread:

On 2020-01-02 at 4:42 PM, jehurey said:

That 10 year contract nVidia setup with Nintendo is looking better and better.

You just tried to say that I SHIFTED my claim to talking about the 10 year contract and future products.

Nope..............that's the very first thing I brought up, was how this was going to be good for Nintendo in the future.

You lost.

Your argument was simple:

"10 year contract is for Tegras. That's it"

You know you got busted on this one.

4 minutes ago, Cookester15 said:

sorry but how does this mean it will be a dud? Because something jerry thought was happening isnt? I would much rather an upgraded switch unit not just a dock. 

Actually, this is lining up fairly well.

They're actually talking about getting nVIdia's 2017 GPU into a mobile Switch unit (the original Switch has nVIdia's 2014 GPu architecture in it).

The PS5 and Scarlett are going to have GPUs that are equivalent to nVIdia's 2018 level of GPUs.

So, with the products that nVIdia is working with Nintendo, we are seeing about a 3 year lag time from it being released as a Desktop GPU to it being fitted to work with a Nintendo product. That's pretty awesome if they're able to keep that up.

7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

They're phasing out Tegras if they are having to move over to a Volta this quickly, especially considering Tegras X1+ just came out this past year.

Yes you DID say that the 10 year contract was just for Tegras

Right there.............you were specifically putting the parameters right there.

Tegra-only, that 10 year contract existed for Tegra-only.

I said............the ten year contract will mean that the cutting edge hardware that nVIdia is making today will eventually find itself into future Nintendo products within these 10 years.

A 2017 Volta architecture is now finding its way into a Nintendo Switch WITHIN THREE YEARS.

That's not a stretch to make that claim.

lmao you're trying to build a narrative that I said they couldn't use any parts other than Tegras... meanwhile I already had said it could just as easily be the architecture after Ampere...

lss.png

This is what I said:

Nintendo has a 10 year contract...for Switch Tegra parts.. to guarantee production for that long if required

There's nothing that indicates that Nintendo and Nvidia have a contract for parts outside of the Switch

I NEVER said that Nintendo couldn't use Nvidia parts in the future... I was arguing with you that there was no reason to think Ampere had anything to do with Nintendo.  Look at the post above...

Nintendo having a 10 year contract for Switch parts does NOT mean that they DO or DON'T have a contract to supply any GPU for the next 10 years.  You literally cannot prove that they have one.  Jensen has absolutely NEVER said that.

So... in the end.. .Ampere had nothing to do with this Switch console... and there's no indication that Nintendo will ever use it.  Maybe the one AFTER Ampere?  And I ended you off with this..

aaa.png

So it looks like you were strawmanning trying to make up different arguments that what was being made... as per usual.

9 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

lmao you're trying to build a narrative that I said they couldn't use any parts other than Tegras... meanwhile I already had said it could just as easily be the architecture after Ampere...

lss.png

This is what I said:

Nintendo has a 10 year contract...for Switch Tegra parts.. to guarantee production for that long if required

There's nothing that indicates that Nintendo and Nvidia have a contract for parts outside of the Switch

I NEVER said that Nintendo couldn't use Nvidia parts in the future... I was arguing with you that there was no reason to think Ampere had anything to do with Nintendo.  Look at the post above...

Nintendo having a 10 year contract for Switch parts does NOT mean that they DO or DON'T have a contract to supply any GPU for the next 10 years.  You literally cannot prove that they have one.  Jensen has absolutely NEVER said that.

So... in the end.. .Ampere had nothing to do with this Switch console... and there's no indication that Nintendo will ever use it.  Maybe the one AFTER Ampere?  And I ended you off with this..

aaa.png

So it looks like you were strawmanning trying to make up different arguments that what was being made... as per usual.

Nope.................dude, I am going to body-slam you right now.

because I even made it a SUPER concrete, Yes or No question:

On 2020-01-02 at 7:39 PM, jehurey said:

Wait a minute.............are you saying that Nintendo's contract with nVIdia was going to be manufacturing GPU ONLY for the existing Switch hardware as we know it?

And that they would just make the same hardware with the same GPU from 2017 to 2027.

Is that what you are claiming?

That's a Yes or No question.

On 2020-01-02 at 7:42 PM, Remij_ said:

Yes.  That's exactly what I'm saying.  Their contract is to produce Switch components for the next 10 years....

:deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest::deadest:

Straight to da morgue.

This is not up for debate.

Edited by jehurey
3 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Nope.................dude, I am going to body-slam you right now.

because I even made it a SUPER concrete, Yes or No question:

:deadest:

Straight to da morgue.

This is not up for debate.

Dude... lmao... their contract is to guarantee Switch components for 10 years

That would put them GUARANTEEING Switch components until 2027 for Nintendo wants.

Jensen said he BELIEVED their relationship would last 20 years because Nintendo supports their hardware for a long time when they are successful.  He said he ENVISIONED a future where that's the case, due to how successful the Switch has been.  That is NOT a contract for 20 years... is it?  You don't say words like "believed" and "envision" when you ACTUALLY have a contract in place..

Nothing about what I said meant that I thought Nintendo would be locked in to using the same Tegra processor for the next consoles.... Which is exactly the strawman you are trying to build.  It's fucking ridiculous how you do this shit all the time..  I even told you multiple times in that thread that "they could use the architecture AFTER Ampere" 

What I said in that thread is exactly this..  The 10 year contract YOU think was for multiple GPU parts across future Nintendo products... WAS REALLY for 10 years of Switch Tegra components.  Saying that does NOT mean that they won't also make a contract for the next console.  I'm simply saying YOU are confused at what the 10 year contract really means..

The other thing I said was that it had nothing to do with Ampere... and it apparently doesn't.  I was right. :shrug: 

Dude... lmao... their contract is to guarantee Switch components for 10 years

That would put them GUARANTEEING Switch components until 2027 for Nintendo wants.

Jensen said he BELIEVED their relationship would last 20 years because Nintendo supports their hardware for a long time when they are successful.  He said he ENVISIONED a future where that's the case, due to how successful the Switch has been.  That is NOT a contract for 20 years... is it?  You don't say words like "believed" and "envision" when you ACTUALLY have a contract in place..

Nothing about what I said meant that I thought Nintendo would be locked in to using the same Tegra processor for the next consoles.... Which is exactly the strawman you are trying to build.  It's fucking ridiculous how you do this shit all the time..  I even told you multiple times in that thread that "they could use the architecture AFTER Ampere" 

What I said in that thread is exactly this..  The 10 year contract YOU think was for multiple GPU parts across future Nintendo products... WAS REALLY for 10 years of Switch Tegra components.  Saying that does NOT mean that they won't also make a contract for the next console.  I'm simply saying YOU are confused at what the 10 year contract really means..

The other thing I said was that it had nothing to do with Ampere... and it apparently doesn't.  I was right. :shrug: 

And that they would just make the same hardware with the ***same GPU*** from 2017 to 2027.

Is that what you are claiming?

That's a Yes or No question.

Yes.  That's ***exactly**** what I'm saying.  Their contract is to produce Switch components for the next 10 years....

Sorry dude............its impossible for you to get out of this one.

You can't say I didn't make it absolutely crystal clear...............down to an almost elementary school-level, when I spoonfed you that question.

Either declare that you FUCKED UP today...............or retroactively declare that you FUCKED UP a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter to me.

I got you Dead to Rights.

Edited by jehurey
7 minutes ago, jehurey said:

Sorry dude............its impossible for you to get out of this one.

You can't say I didn't make it absolutely crystal clear...............down to an almost elementary school-level, when I spoonfed you that question.

Either declare that you FUCKED UP today...............or retroactively declare that you FUCKED UP a couple of weeks ago. It doesn't matter to me.

I got you Dead to Rights.

Dude.. are you fucking stupid.  You think that's a contradiction to what I'm typing... but it's not.

That SAME GPU... is the Switch Tegra X1.........  They will guarantee that part till 2027.  That's the 10 year contract I'm talking about...

Having a contract to produce Switch parts for 10 years... does not mean that they have or don't have a contract in place to produce another console that would release in that time period... or that they can't...

You know that last gen consoles continue production after the next gen consoles release... right? 

Jesus fucking CHRIST :cruise: 

Edited by Remij_

Dude.. are you fucking stupid.  You think that's a contradiction to what I'm typing... but it's not.

That SAME GPU... is the Switch Tegra X1.........  They will guarantee that part till 2027.  That's the 10 year contract I'm talking about...

Having a contract to produce Switch parts for 10 years... does not mean that they have or don't have a contract in place to produce another console that would release in that time period...

You know that last gen consoles continue production after the next gen consoles release... right? 

Jesus fucking CHRIST :cruise: 

And they're clearly making a different GPU now.

You said the WHOLE ten years............was for one specific type of GPU.

You're

not

getting

out

of

this

And I think you know that you aren't getting out of this, because I can see a 'deflation" in your posts, like as if even you know that you can't overcome this by bullshitting your way out of this.