Is 4k really necessary?

Just now, lostfool said:

Stability and clean visuals and artistry to me is all that is needed.  To me the pursuit of fidelity has had a negative impact on the out of the box quality of games.

4k is really nice, but it's not necessary. i'm more impressed by art design and animation. but 4k is a sweet bonus. 

Before when we were younger, we wanted higher resolution to reduce the shit aliasing and shimmering that games had.  That was the biggest reason for higher resolutions.. those nasty edges.  Then we got to the point where aliasing was a bit better, but still visible.. but then we realized just how much actual model and texture detail we were missing at the lower resolutions.  Art that was there all along, but could never be seen.  Then we got higher resolutions like 1440p+ and better AA solutions so that hard shimmering edges were all but gone.

Now we basically just need enough resolution to show texture detail so that we're not losing too much of what the artist intended us to see.  We have methods of bringing out that detail from lower resolutions and info accumulated over past frames.  Edge aliasing can be all but eliminated.. so it's not REALLY an issue anymore.

Like Aza said 1440p-1800p allows that information to mostly remain there, while providing huge performance improvements to be used into actually making the content and assets better overall.

Targeting native 4K is a waste given these new techniques and advancements.  This coming gen needs to be about asset quality, physics, and AI... not image quality bumping.