Anyone have experience with panic attacks?

I don't know why but lately I've been having them. Not sure if it's being caused by stress or what but I'll be sitting there just fine and then out of nowhere it'll just hit me. And the thing is I'm aware of what's happening but I still have trouble calming myself down. Usually takes like 20 minutes for it to pass but those 20 minutes are pure misery.

So was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with this shit and what do you do to handle it?

You're the third person to mention caffeine to me. Coworkers have mentioned it as well because they noticed I was drinking a lot more coffee than usual. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm going to cut back on that and see if that helps some.

Sleep is another issue though. I've had insomnia since I was in High School so not sure how to fix that. Its just something I have dealt with for so long I don't really consider it a problem. It's "normal" for me. Then again, I am older now. Maybe I'm at the age to where my body needs a specifi amount of sleep.

Yeah caffeine gives me anxiety a lot so if you’re upping that it might be a cause. As for sleep, you just need to make a routine every night and cut back in screen time before bed especially in bed. Make your bed a place to sleep and sleep only. Don’t mindlessly scroll before bed or it’ll make it worse. And exercise and cutting back on daytime naps if you take any will help. 

6 hours ago, Sabo said:

You're the third person to mention caffeine to me. Coworkers have mentioned it as well because they noticed I was drinking a lot more coffee than usual. I didn't think much of it at the time but now I'm going to cut back on that and see if that helps some.

Sleep is another issue though. I've had insomnia since I was in High School so not sure how to fix that. Its just something I have dealt with for so long I don't really consider it a problem. It's "normal" for me. Then again, I am older now. Maybe I'm at the age to where my body needs a specifi amount of sleep.

Yup. The body changes. It can’t take the abuse it once did. Caffeine + lack of sleep lead to increased levels of cortisol = the stress hormone. That will also have a negative impact on your overall endocrine system (including testosterone and estrogen ratios). It sucks getting older. I’m still sore from doing a Climbing/pull up challenge on Sunday :francis:

Used to have them a lot out of nowhere. Amphetamine therapy has helped. Also gives anxiety....but another kind lol. 

You're probably trying to calm yourself down with the coffee. I can see why you do it. It does have anxyiolitic effects on me but if you go take too much you'll get messed up. 

Try to eat less gluten / bread / crackers / pasta and shit like that.

Coffee is the double edged sword, and I use it very rarely as it can be detrimental for the whole day when the anxiety from it kicks in. Also, yeah as others have said, sleep is crucial in the panic intensity. I remember the first time I had my panic attack and it was moslty related to not getting enough sleep for a few days. 8 hours of sleep are crucial for an adult.

• Sad 1

Regular exercise is great, especially cardio.  Anything that gets the heart pumping, really.  Try doing some sets of jumping jacks, climbers or butt kicks.  Apparently cardio is good for brain function too so you may find your work performance and concentration improving too doing it in the Morning.  Also consider making lifestyle tweaks to help improve your quality of sleep.  I've started drinking a glass of milk and eating a Banana before bed and I'm convinced my quality of sleep has improved (Science seems to back this up too).  Not sure where you live and whether you get regular sunlight where your based but regular sunlight is linked to boosting the hormone serotonin which is responsible for helping you feel calm and focused.  Try and get 15-30 minutes of direct sunlight a day.

34 minutes ago, Angelfish said:

Regular exercise is great, especially cardio.  Anything that gets the heart pumping, really.  Try doing some sets of jumping jacks, climbers or butt kicks.  Apparently cardio is good for brain function too so you may find your work performance and concentration improving too doing it in the Morning.  Also consider making lifestyle tweaks to help improve your quality of sleep.  I've started drinking a glass of milk and eating a Banana before bed and I'm convinced my quality of sleep has improved (Science seems to back this up too).  Not sure where you live and whether you get regular sunlight where your based but regular sunlight is linked to boosting the hormone serotonin which is responsible for helping you feel calm and focused.  Try and get 15-30 minutes of direct sunlight a day.

*cries in Seattle*

Just now, -GD- said:

don't worry lol. just take a vitamin d supplement. 

That's a necessity up here this time of year. Season affective disorder is very real up here. We haven't had a sunny day since November 30.

• Sad 1

I only had 2 in my life like ten years ago, after I woke up with heavy chest pain. Thinking it was my heart I worried so much I thought I was gonna die soon (was just my first time getting severe acid reflux, which went over after a few months of med. treatment)

When I had those panic attacks shortly after where I felt like puking but couldn't and thought my heart was gonna stop I went to the ER in the morning. They took different tests but told me that nothing was wrong with my heart so that reassured me to not care about this matter anymore.

TL;DR stop being gay, stop being fat and stop worrying (it keeps feeding these attacks) panic attacks can't kill you

Edited by bhytre