Daymare: 1998 (RE2 inspired survival horror game) releases in April

4 hours ago, kaz said:

why is it called 1998? is it so far behind? 

This was that game that started out as a RE2 fan project and then Capcom shut them down to make RE2 themselves.  So they took what they had and made this out of it.  I think the 1998 is an homage to RE2, since that's the year it was released. :] 

Edited by Remij_
  • Sad 1

So theres a demo on steam. I just played through part of it and im not gonna lie, there is something to this game :ben:  If the developers of the RE2 remake decided to co-develop a game with the Deadly Premonition developers, and they were suddenly all stricken with the coronovirus and were bed ridden while working on a game, this is what they would put out :D But really, despite the roughness its got some ambitious ideas. I actually kind of want to buy it.

Edited by Twinblade
  • Haha 1

I bought the game this afternoon and have practically been playing it non stop since then. I really appreciate what its doing, and it definitely scratches the RE itch. In fact its got mechanics that I wish RE had (like the reload system).

The dialogue and cutscenes are comically bad, but I enjoy most of the other things the game is doing.

2 hours ago, Team 2019 said:

The timing is pretty bad with RE2 out and RE3 around the corner.

After playing it i think this compliments those games instead of competing with them. Once people have finished RE3 they'll likely want more of this type of experience and this game will be right around the corner to satiate them.

Edited by Twinblade

I just finished this. It definitely made the wait for RE3 easier. Theres some really cool stuff in this game, and I was surprised that it was made by just 10 people.

What it succeeds at more than anything else is its atmosphere and the design of the environments. For example, I remember being disappointed by how there was so little of raccoon city in the RE2 remake but this game is the exact opposite. There are so many segments that take place across different parts of its Raccoon City equivalent, and everything feels stitched together in a logical and realistic way. Every single street and shop has its own purpose and story (as cheesy as that sounds) and you can tell the devs are really passionate about RE with the amount of work they put into fleshing the sets out. Theres even a cool homage to RE2's gun shop that I appreciated.

Its unfortunate that the combat is inconsistent (the aiming and hit detection don't feel right) and the last chapter has some pretty awful boss fights. Still, this game is better than it has any right to be, and I wouldn't be surprised if capcom at some point bought out this studio or partnered with them on future RE games (fun fact: according to their site, the original RE3 director 'advised' on the game along with one of their designers).

Edited by Twinblade
  • 2 weeks later...

IGN just put out an article on this game and the developers relationship with capcom. Neat stuff, I didn't know that the devs were actually listed in the RE2 remake's credits. It seems that the original fan remake managed to influence the RE team at Capcom in some ways.

https://www.ign.com/articles/surviving-capcom-how-a-fan-made-resident-evil-2-remake-led-to-horror-game-daymare-1998

Edited by Twinblade