Console and accessory restoration/cleaning

This channel 'Odd Tinkering' does videos of restoring all kinds of stuff, from antique things to consoles and controllers and stuff like that.  There's no talking, it's basically just him going through all the steps he takes to restore stuff.  It's pretty cool and interesting how well they turn out and the processes that he goes through.

I figure @DynamiteCop! might appreciate these videos.

8 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah I've actually watched several of this guys videos and how dirty they are versus how clean he's able to get them is pretty nuts. I love how the theme on the forum today is cleaning things lol. 

Yeah.  I love the results.  When I see stuff like that it makes me wish I would have kept some of the stuff I've gotten rid of over the years.  

2 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Goddamn that dreamcast turned gold lol

They were really bad for turning iirc...  even worse when you also add smokers to the equation.

Still amazing how white he was able to get it afterwards.  Same with the controller.  Looks brand new after.

I'd honestly love to buy a Dreamcast and do this and collect a little library of games for it.  I always loved the design of that system.

Just now, Ike said:

This dude has way more time and effort than I do. All those can easily be emulated these days. :killzone:

Ikr...  Looking at those Gameboy's... any person would just junk that shit... think it was completely beyond redemption.

4 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

They were really bad for turning iirc...  even worse when you also add smokers to the equation.

Still amazing how white he was able to get it afterwards.  Same with the controller.  Looks brand new after.

I'd honestly love to buy a Dreamcast and do this and collect a little library of games for it.  I always loved the design of that system.

Do it, I love both of mine and the library is excellent :blessed:

1 minute ago, Remij_ said:

Ikr...  Looking at those Gameboy's... any person would just junk that shit... think it was completely beyond redemption.

That Dreamcast covered from cigarettes is fucking nasty. :scust:

Just now, Ike said:

That Dreamcast covered from cigarettes is fucking nasty. :scust:

I think it's mostly the chemical in the plastic that turns brown when exposed to UV light.  There's really not much you can do about it in some cases.

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

I got lucky, mine still looks like this.

20200209_194249.jpg

Yea, it's weird how well some of the hold up over time compared to others.  I guess basic care goes a long way.  I wonder if maybe different versions or revisions of the console had different amounts of the chemical in the plastic?  Is that what's going on?  I dunno, but regardless... some people really don't take care of their consoles well... so it's not surprising you see really yellowed consoles.

Anyway... I've always loved white/light grey consoles.  The SNES design is arguably my favorite... man I loved that console.. but it had that issue too.

snesYellowing.jpg