Any of you Sheep using any of the Gamecube style controllers with your Switch?

I think the Ultimate Smash Bros. Edition is for all intents and purposes an original Gamecube controller and you need an adapter to use it.. but there's also others out there which are wireless/usb and essentially seen as a Switch Pro controller.  They have an added Z button to the left side, as well as the Home and Capture buttons so that they're 100% compatible with Switch games.

Out of curiosity, I dug out my Gamecube and remembered that I had a 2nd original controller that I never used that much.  This thing is essentially in perfect condition.  It had been so long since I held a GCN controller I kinda forgot what it felt like.  So I started playing around with it, and when I started thinking about it, you know, I think Nintendo should have kept up with this more unique style of controller and just made some tweaks to it.

First off, the controller feels nice in the hands.  Maybe a tiny bit too small for where I like to rest my fingers on the triggers.. but it feels nice to hold.  The trigger buttons are actually dual stage!  Am I wrong in thinking that this is the first controller with dual stage trigger buttons?  Another Nintendo innovation I guess.  I can't remember any other controller that has them other than the Steam controller.  They have a ton of travel and a nice click to them.. and feel far better than the Steam controllers which don't have as nearly satisfying of a click as this.  Although one downside is that compared to the controllers of today which feel tighter and quieter, they feel a bit spongy and loose feeling and make a lot of noise comparatively.  It's disappointing that we now have the Switch Pro controller and they're not even analog triggers, let alone dual stage.

The analog sticks.. much like the N64 controller, both have 8-way indentations which makes it easier to find and maintain the cardinal and ordinal directions during use.  I honestly think it makes a lot of sense to keep those.  You still have full analog movement as you would on any other stick, but it's easier to find true directions and makes things easier.  The d-pad is of course a bit too small, but what's there feels perfect.  All they needed to do was scale that d-pad up.  Switch Pro controller's d-pad feels really off and stiff compared to it.

Then there's the buttons.  Ok.. maybe it's just been a while, but.. I think they nailed this aspect.  The big A button is perfectly symmetrical with the analog stick, and since it's the most commonly used, it has a more prominent placement.  All the buttons are easily identifiable by their shape alone.  I love the idea of a "center button" with surrounding buttons having a different shape.

I kind of really wish Nintendo would have kept up with this design and tweaked it.  The Z-button placement sucks and should have been a button on the back of one of the handles, like on the N64.. but overall, I really miss these different kinds of Nintendo controllers.

It sucks everything's kinda going the same route these days.

Even though I'm not big on Smash Bros, just in case I wanted to make a real 4-way Smash Bros match on GC controllers, I ended up buying the re-release of the Gamecube controller that Nintendo made with Smash Ultimate, and I bought the 4-port accessory.

My friend, who had my Gamecube for years, finally gave it back to me, and I had two wired controllers and one Wavebird. So I can do a "traditional" 4-way match in Smash.

I think the Metroid Prime games, and Mario Sunshine used the analog trigger. I think that is how you controlled how powerful your water cannon was in Mario Sunshine.

Holding Down + B in RE4 was one of the most satisfying things ever. The big green A button was very satisfying to use in Mario Sunshine.

I own both a re-release gc controller and a third party one. 

61bRW9EFPfL._AC_.jpg

31mptLfzG4L._AC_.jpg

Third party one is pretty dope cause it eliminates the trigger travel plus it works as a pro controller with other games. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, jehurey said:

I bought the "HAL Labs" Gamecube Controller at the time because I figured it would be a wanted item, and sell out.

It was.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Smash-Bros-Ultimate-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07DJX3Y47/

Shit is reselling for $100 now.:drake:

The official Nintendo gamecube 4-port adapter is selling for $85.

Yea I was checking out a few of them.  I mentioned those in the OP.  They are essentially Gamecube perfect controllers.  The only differences really is that the plastic has a bit different of a texture than the original Gamecube controllers.  The trigger button mechanisms are essentially the same as well, but just a tiny bit different internally, which has no bearing on the feeling.  The PCB and everything else is identical between them and the original controllers.

I was looking at the Power A controllers, since they appear to be pretty much spot on as well and can also be used as a Pro controller for any modern game.  I think that would serve my purposes better since I'd like to use it for both my Switch and PC in modern games.

I would love to see Nintendo go more in line with this for their Pro controllers in the future and tweak it a bit.  Give people the ability to remap controller buttons at a system level in the OS and you'd have a kick ass controller for Nintendo exclusives, as well as something customizable for 3rd party games.

problem is, you casual bozos ridiculed the thing when it came out, when sheep I and everyone else harped about those 14 things that you now obviously know about. And you are blaming Nintendo for trying to then fit a casual image after a lot of YOU rejected the great qualities because,... it was unique?  :D go fuck yourselves.

People didn't like the "bean" buttons back then, but it really was quite comfortable in the sense that your thumb always rests on the big green mound, the A button, and it just moves off the side to hit the other face buttons. Nintendo was correct that the majority of games use one face button alot (A), a second button is used quite a bit (B), and the third and fourth face buttons are not used as much (bean buttons X and Y).

I do understand the complaint about not having two Z buttons, they should've put one on the left side.

1 hour ago, jehurey said:

People didn't like the "bean" buttons back then, but it really was quite comfortable in the sense that your thumb always rests on the big green mound, the A button, and it just moves off the side to hit the other face buttons. Nintendo was correct that the majority of games use one face button alot (A), a second button is used quite a bit (B), and the third and fourth face buttons are not used as much (bean buttons X and Y).

I do understand the complaint about not having two Z buttons, they should've put one on the left side.

oh please it took 3 minutes at best to see Nintendo's points. Back then. Fuck rationalizing it was not a great controller (which I know you're not saying but you're taking away from the ludicrous kids gotta fit in even with controller choices and it takes them  8 years to mature and realize. it was (poifect, the best unique or solid 2nd controller for it's time), and I find it so funny OP and Remij and any non sheep pioneering for the thing now. We sheep had to ignore because

of bean buttons or the color, or "one button being bigger," peeps just didn't admit it all the things you I and even Remij knows.  

5 minutes ago, kokujin said:

oh please it took 3 minutes at best to see Nintendo's points. Back then. Fuck rationalizing it was not a great controller (which I know you're not saying but you're taking away from the ludicrous kids gotta fit in even with controller choices and it takes them  8 years to mature and realize. it was (poifect, the best unique or solid 2nd controller for it's time), and I find it so funny OP and Remij and any non sheep pioneering for the thing now. We sheep had to ignore because

of bean buttons or the color, or "one button being bigger," peeps just didn't admit it all the things you I and even Remij knows.  

I've always appreciated good controller designs.  I dunno where this hostility is coming from.. because I've always liked the GCN controller.  It's just been a long time since I've used one...

lmao acting like I'm discovering this shit for the first time :hest:  I have about 20 different controllers which I've kept, and I've been going back and using them and sort of re-reviewing them given today's standards.  I've spent over $350 on controllers in the past 2 weeks lol...  I don't play that fanboy shit with controllers.  Nintendo has ALWAYS been pioneering that shit :facep: 

There’s a reason it keeps getting ported over for every version of Smash. It’s as classic of a controller as arcade joysticks at this point. They made pressure sensorsed triggers an industry standard. Not the greatest for FPS but pretty much everything else it’s fantastic.