Dreams Review thread IGN 9.0

IGN: 9.0

Dreams really is something that needs to be played to fully grasp an understanding of. It’s unlike anything else: an ambitious project that has been expertly brought to life by Media Molecule, and an audacious experiment in game design that gives you endless ways to enjoy your time with it.

Metacritic: Currently 91 but early days.

12 minutes ago, Voidler said:

How do you honesty review this? It seems like more of a tool And portal than a game. It’s kind of like reviewing YouTube 

Yeah I don't know either, do you review it as an application? I mean at the end of the day that's what it really is, it's not a game. 

Edited by DynamiteCop!

It's supposed to be pretty good.. for what it is.  I think it's funny how long this thing has been in development for, but there's no denying that it's an impressive piece of software and I think people are going to do cool shit with it.  

I would not be surprised to see a few IPs born from Dreams which end up becoming hugely successful in the future.

5 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well not really, I mean you make games with it. It's more like a tool than anything. 

It also has it's own 'campaign' made levels that MM did, just like LBP. It's just a total evolution of LBP but everything has just bee improved upon to an incredible degree. 

Regardless they are reviewing what they have released. A 'game creator' can still get reviewed on the merit of it's game creation tools. By all accounts Dreams has definitely delivered in that regard.

9 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well not really, I mean you make games with it. It's more like a tool than anything. 

It's a bit of both. It has a campaign, albeit short, but you can go in and play people's "Dreams". I think it is as much a game as Super Mario Maker 2 or Little Big Planet... even Project Spark. No one has to go into Dreams and create a game; they can just play people's Dreams.

I agree though that it is a tool first and foremost.

41 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Well it’s both isn’t it? I likened it to YouTube because it’s as much for creators as it is for people to play through tons of User made games a bit like putting auto play on YouTube 

I say it’s hard to review because there’s not much to compare it to. The function of the tools and menus and features matter more than the inbuilt games

20 minutes ago, Ike said:

This will be Sony’s next game to PC guaranteed. Some of the stuff done in there is insane though. MM did some crazy work. 

This is the one sony first party that should've launched on PC day 1 cause this game will live and die based on it's community. They need as many ppl creating and playing this as early as possible. 

Also, it's not a system seller. It's a super niche game. So you lose nothing. 

16 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

This is the one sony first party that should've launched on PC day 1 cause this game will live and die based on it's community. They need as many ppl creating and playing this as early as possible. 

Also, it's not a system seller. It's a super niche game. So you lose nothing. 

Yeah this would greatly benefit from a PC release, I mean is anyone here even interested in this? While this can produce impressive stuff who is actually wanting to engage in it?

1 minute ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Yeah this would greatly benefit from a PC release, I mean is anyone here even interested in this? While this can produce impressive stuff who is actually wanting to engage in it?

Watch the IGN video review. There is apparently already a lot of user created content from the early access. These type of games will always find a community, just a question of if it will be big enough to have been worth it. 

9 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Looks awesome.  I've always wanted to to fly a spaceship solo thru an 8th mile loop track .

Cant wait to see the other great creations from the now indie dev cows :mj:

they 'll probably be better than sea of thieves, crackdown 3 and state of decay :D