I think $499 is where the next gen consoles are going to land

Yea, nothing new Rem, but this just adds to the pile that we should be expecting prices on the higher side for both consoles.  They're pretty beefy so it should be expected, but I think $399 is out of the question now.  Sony's reluctance and even admittance that they're still trying to nail down the best way to approach this coming gen is telling.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-14/sony-is-struggling-with-playstation-5-price-due-to-costly-parts

All this coronavirus stuff is just making it worse.

Nvidia has already stated that they're reducing their revenue outlook for Q4 down $100m due to the virus.  Things could get worse very quickly too.

Edited by Remij_
17 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

$499 expected for PS5, $399 would be amazing

$499 Series X would be pretty good though. $599 would be a tough sell even though the hardware is worth it. 

Yea.  I could see Sony going with $449 depending on what MS does.  One thing to remember is that MS is also releasing Series S as well, supposedly.  They probably plan to make up on the low end console what they plan to lose from the Series X.  That might give them a power/price advantage over Sony.

For Sony, maybe $399 was the plan, but if component prices are too high and not likely to come down soon enough, then they'll take as little of a hit as possible.

I wonder what launch allocations of these consoles might be like?  Hopefully things aren't affected too much.. but obviously it goes without saying that regarding the coronavirus it's far more important that they get that situation under control first.

Edited by Remij_

the base ps5 console at launch will cost $400. sony can tank the initial hit but it doesn't matter because they will sell a shitton of them in the longrun. 

1 hour ago, Remij_ said:

Yea.  I could see Sony going with $449 depending on what MS does.  One thing to remember is that MS is also releasing Series S as well, supposedly.  They probably plan to make up on the low end console what they plan to lose from the Series X.  That might give them a power/price advantage over Sony.

For Sony, maybe $399 was the plan, but if component prices are too high and not likely to come down soon enough, then they'll take as little of a hit as possible.

I wonder what launch allocations of these consoles might be like?  Hopefully things aren't affected too much.. but obviously it goes without saying that regarding the coronavirus it's far more important that they get that situation under control first.

Yeah the Coronavirus stuff is definitely an issue in regards to production. There is no doubt it’s gonna have some impact on launch units available. Hopefully nothing major enough to warrant a delay. 

Price for Sony is probably dependant on what Series X will be priced at. If MS does $599 then Sony will happily do $499. If MS goes $499 and eats a loss then I think Sony will want to undercut them and be cheaper. Maybe $449 but that won’t have the level of effect as a $399.

however the possibly supply issue might also come into effect. If numbers are going to be more limited you might be more inclined to price higher cause there is defs that market of ppl that will buy day 1 at whatever price. So why not price it $500 and sell it at that price if supply constraints aren’t gonna let you benefit from a cheaper price anyway cause the units aren’t there to sell

Good to see sony spent money on cooking,  bad to see that the seem to be struggling getting the pieces together .

Sony badly wants to undercut MS since their console is much , much weaker but idk if they will be able to do it . Sony probably wants to launch at 500 , but if ms does will they be willing to take that loss ?