Sony is shutting down all Official Playstation.com community forums

https://community.playstation.com/content/pdc/us/en_US/pdc-communities/support/Consoles-Peripherals.topic.html/update_communityfo-8D71.html

UPDATE: Community Forums Closure

Beginning 27 February, the PlayStation.com forums will no longer be available. We invite you to continue the conversation via PlayStation.Blog, Twitter, and Instagram. For product support, please visit the support site, Playstation.com/help/

I wonder what Sony is up to?  They're obviously making a lot of changes and pushing their efforts in a different direction.  I wonder if they'll have some kind of new support portal which is better, of if they really just don't see the point in having fourms anymore on the official site?

Lot's of stuff happening at Sony.  I'm interested in seeing if they are really overhauling their entire platform front to back, or whether this is all just trimming of fat.

Regardless of what the cows or sheep say they do appear to be going a more Microsoft oriented direction. The ways of the past will only work so long and they know this.

The writing is on the wall.

https://seasonedgaming.com/2020/02/14/sony-ceo-yoshida-says-playstation-platform-should-be-judged-by-user-count-not-hardware-units-sold/

3 minutes ago, DynamiteCop! said:

Regardless of what the cows or sheep say they do appear to be going a more Microsoft oriented direction. The ways of the past will only work so long and they know this.

The writing is on the wall.

https://seasonedgaming.com/2020/02/14/sony-ceo-yoshida-says-playstation-platform-should-be-judged-by-user-count-not-hardware-units-sold/

MS has always been ahead of the curve than Sony on reporting the more meaningful metrics for the time.

Only forum fanboy's act like sales numbers are the be-all and end-all of success.  Companies care more about active users and what they spend per month than unit sales.  Everyone knows these companies only make a tiny fraction of their money off of hardware sales, it's mostly off software and services.  Which is why those numbers are more relevant.. and will continue to be going forward as these companies put less emphasis on the device itself and more on the ecosystem.

8 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

They dont want the forums to explode in negativity when they announce all of their games on PC 

I was thinking something similar. Between this and not going to E3, Sony really wants to avoid any kind of negative exposure from fans and wants to be in complete control of the narrative. They want to host their own scripted and edited shows where they look so damn amazing, and they don’t want forums to house a massive negative impression of what they showed. Same shit Nintendo did. Lmao fuck them

12 minutes ago, JONBpc said:

Tlou2 being on PC is going to cause such MASSIVE meltdowns 

I would not envy Sony with the amount of hate they would get if that happens any time soon.  Even just a year later... the salt would be COARSE. :francis: 

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

MS has always been ahead of the curve than Sony on reporting the more meaningful metrics for the time.

Only forum fanboy's act like sales numbers are the be-all and end-all of success.  Companies care more about active users and what they spend per month than unit sales.  Everyone knows these companies only make a tiny fraction of their money off of hardware sales, it's mostly off software and services.  Which is why those numbers are more relevant.. and will continue to be going forward as these companies put less emphasis on the device itself and more on the ecosystem.

The difference is that Sony reports both users AND sales. We know PS Plus sub numbers, monthly active users PLUS hardware sales and software sales. MS has changed their opinion on relevancy based on how well they are doing each generation. Last gen they wouldn't shut up about hardware sales. Then it became MAUs and then it became MAUs compared to their own previous MAUs.

Hard to say MS is ahead of the curve on reporting meaninful metrics when we don't know GP sub numbers, software numbers, Gold numbers, etc

4 hours ago, Remij_ said:

:mj:

Sony and Nintendo reports all numbers, hardware sales,  software sales, active users for all platforms, active users for any services they provide.  They provide full transparency for their ecosystem numbers. 

MS doesn't provide any of those ecosystem numbers. What's GP active userbase?  What's MS software sales like? Hardware sales? 

Let's be real here. 

10 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

The difference is that Sony reports both users AND sales. We know PS Plus sub numbers, monthly active users PLUS hardware sales and software sales. MS has changed their opinion on relevancy based on how well they are doing each generation. Last gen they wouldn't shut up about hardware sales. Then it became MAUs and then it became MAUs compared to their own previous MAUs.

Hard to say MS is ahead of the curve on reporting meaninful metrics when we don't know GP sub numbers, software numbers, Gold numbers, etc

All Facts:tom5:

4 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Well of course.  The more info the better.. but MS was reporting things like MAU numbers before Sony and stressed that they were more relevant, even when MS wasn't doing so bad.  If Sony was doing badly they'd do the same as MS did this gen too.

I know some people here wont like to hear this... but it's a simple fact.  MS IS ahead of the curve.  They were ahead of Sony since the original Xbox, with Xbox Live and online.  They were the first with a digital distribution store, as well as the first with achievements.  With XO they have failed quite spectacularly, but they are UNDOUBTEDLY pushing the industry towards trends where they again, are ahead of the curve.  Cross play, Cross buy, Play anywhere, Gamepass, and now Cloud gaming. 

MS will be ahead of the curve reporting on those things... they're obviously not going to report on sub numbers yet until they hit specific milestones I'm sure.

Sony is definitely following in their footsteps, and because they are much more successful in the traditional markets, they're proud to announce them.  Nothing really surprising there.

5 minutes ago, Goukosan said:

:mj:

Sony and Nintendo reports all numbers, hardware sales,  software sales, active users for all platforms, active users for any services they provide.  They provide full transparency for their ecosystem numbers. 

MS doesn't provide any of those ecosystem numbers. What's GP active userbase?  What's MS software sales like? Hardware sales? 

Let's be real here. 

None of that changes what I said.. .lmao

Look forward to MS announcing the next metric by which Sony will gauge their success on. :shrug: 

11 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Well of course.  The more info the better.. but MS was reporting things like MAU numbers before Sony and stressed that they were more relevant, even when MS wasn't doing so bad.  If Sony was doing badly they'd do the same as MS did this gen too.

I know some people here wont like to hear this... but it's a simple fact.  MS IS ahead of the curve.  They were ahead of Sony since the original Xbox, with Xbox Live and online.  They were the first with a digital distribution store, as well as the first with achievements.  With XO they have failed quite spectacularly, but they are UNDOUBTEDLY pushing the industry towards trends where they again, are ahead of the curve.  Cross play, Cross buy, Play anywhere, Gamepass, and now Cloud gaming. 

MS will be ahead of the curve reporting on those things... they're obviously not going to report on sub numbers yet until they hit specific milestones I'm sure.

Sony is definitely following in their footsteps, and because they are much more successful in the traditional markets, they're proud to announce them.  Nothing really surprising there.

None of those things change the fact that in regards to metrics they are currently by far the worst in reporting meaningful data, even behind Nintendo who each quarter report exact software sales for all first parties even when not successful. They did so during Wii U era also. MS has flip flopped too much to be called ahead of the curve on metrics, you don’t know what they would be saying if they were leading hardware and software sales and if gold numbers were higher than Plus, etc. Meanwhile Sony announces everything, they announced sales even when not leading for a majority of last gen and have every gen. 

18 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

None of that changes what I said.. .lmao

Look forward to MS announcing the next metric by which Sony will gauge their success on. :shrug: 

What are numbers for the active monthly users of GP? 

What are the numbers for XBL gold? 

Sony reported the bad numbers for Vita, PSP and PS3 when they weren't the market leader for those systems. 

Nintendo reported Wiiu numbers in detail and we know that system was a disaster. 

MS on the other hand only reports meaningful numbers (software, hardware, active users for services etc) when they're doing well.  Once Xbox1 started bombing all the way in 2014 they tucked tail and ran :shrug:

Edited by Goukosan
3 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

None of those things change the fact that in regards to metrics they are currently by far the worst in reporting meaningful data, even behind Nintendo who each quarter report exact software sales for all first parties even when not successful. They did so during Wii U era also. MS has flip flopped too much to be called ahead of the curve on metrics, you don’t know what they would be saying if they were leading hardware and software sales and if gold numbers were higher than Plus, etc. Meanwhile Sony announces everything, they announced sales even when not leading for a majority of last gen and have every gen. 

Well, I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't report more data....  I'm arguing that MS has made a case for reporting the newer more meaningful data points, and presenting them as such, than Sony has in the past.  Every single time... because they are ahead of the curve.

The other shit I really don't give a fuck about.  Only console fanboys do :francis: 

Just now, Remij_ said:

Well, I'm not arguing that Sony doesn't report more data....  I'm arguing that MS has made a case for reporting the newer more meaningful data points, and presenting them as such, than Sony has in the past.  Every single time... because they are ahead of the curve.

The other shit I really don't give a fuck about.  Only console fanboys do :francis: 

They made a case for if being so important that now (when it’s more important than ever) they don’t even report those metrics :mj: truly ahead of the curve. 

5 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

They made a case for if being so important that now (when it’s more important than ever) they don’t even report those metrics :mj: truly ahead of the curve. 

Of course... they were the first to do it... hiding those numbers now that they are doing bad is whatever...  They are still the more meaningful numbers... now Sony admits it. :shrug: 

I'm sure when cloud and GP reaches a certain milestone, they'll report those numbers. 

Edited by Remij_
Just now, Remij_ said:

Of course... they were the first to do it... hiding those numbers now that they are doing bad is whatever...  They are still the more meaningful numbers. :shrug: 

I'm sure when cloud and GP reaches a certain milestone, they'll report those numbers. 

Well I guess Sony was ahead of the curve in cloud gaming having bought Gakai and released PS Now well before anyone else. MS following their lead I guess :shrug:

8 minutes ago, madmaltese said:

Well I guess Sony was ahead of the curve in cloud gaming having bought Gakai and released PS Now well before anyone else. MS following their lead I guess :shrug:

So ahead that Sony is looking to partner with MS for their services for the future.. lol

Let's be real, when talking about Cloud gaming, MS is ahead of the curve with they way they are building up their service.  First party games day and date.. as well as gamepass coming to xcloud..  Not to mention that it's painfully obvious to anyone, that MS is speaking more about xCloud than Sony does about PSNow.  That shit would have been left as a BC method of streaming for PS5 if it wasn't for MS pushing in this direction.

Sony has also been REMOVING platforms from their service... no phones.. only PC and Console atm, and MS started with phones, and added consoles, and PC is coming soon.

Edited by Remij_