I'm really fucking curious as to what the "undisclosed" features of the next gen consoles are

29 minutes ago, The Mother Fucker said:

That would be a terrible idea.  You will have so much lag in your fights.  Don't play the online matches. 

Im not interested in being competitive and will probably not even touch the online. I only want to plow through the story and maybe dabble in some of the other modes that look worth playing.

Back on topic, I wonder how much potential the SSD configurations on a closed box will have over PC. Will it be akin to the Spiderman demonstration by Sony or fall flat on its face? LTT recently made a video on the topic.

31 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Back on topic, I wonder how much potential the SSD configurations on a closed box will have over PC. Will it be akin to the Spiderman demonstration by Sony or fall flat on its face? LTT recently made a video on the topic.

While I appreciate testing the PC side of things, the reality is that it's not in any way comparable to what is possible on the consoles.  It's fine as a test between similar PCs in very limited scenarios.. but there's a lot that's not being taken into consideration in that video.

Windows, by it's very nature uses a more general purpose file system which is better for certain workloads than it is others.  Lots of factors can attribute to this... like the storage itself, the controller, the size of the storage, the cluster size allocation set by windows, and compression.

On consoles, the entire software stack will be optimized and designed around a very specific spec of storage.  They can, and will, have entirely new file systems which will be more suited to the capabilities of the entire system, from the size of the SSD, to the SSD's controller performance, to the file structure and design of the game, and of course the CPU and how fast that information can be decompressed and stored in system memory.

PC's have certain advantages, such as CPUs with more cores, which can decompress data faster, as well as larger pools of memory to reduce Storage bandwidth thrashing.  Consoles have certain advantage like specifically tailored software and development stack, and possible custom designed hardware with a fixed spec allowing developers to very specifically tune their games for those systems. 

The other thing is that games these days aren't being developed with SSD's in mind.  On PC, there's 'side effect' benefits of using an SSD, such as faster loading in many games, but that's due to things like eliminating spin up times, seek times, as well as obviously performing more IOPS... rather than anything else.  Games thus far haven't been DESIGNED around SSDs.  That's where a lot of the improvements will come from.  Reduction of file sizes due to asset duplication, more IOPS from faster memory, and faster CPUs in the consoles to decompress that data at faster rates.  Huge speedups should come from that, especially when developers can rely upon having those things when designing their games. 

Of course, games will become more demanding, but the fact is that devs should be able to swap in and out huge amounts of data faster than ever before.  So we should theoretically never see load times up in the 20-50sec again on these new consoles.  I'm thinking more 3-4sec average... which for all intents and purposes... is no loading at all, and easily maskable. 

I think that people will be surprised and how much better the entire experience is going to get very soon.  On both consoles AND PCs.  Consoles are coming with high end PC power, and PCs of the last few years will finally have untapped potential be tapped.

7 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

Where did you get that info from? The only free option I see is one that limits me to 1 hour play sessions.

It's on the bullet points for the founder's subscription.

Free 90-Day Introductory Period

17 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

:cosby2: 

> I fire up Geforce Now and add MK11 to my library

> I launch it and it prompts me to sign into steam. I sign in and it opens a virtual steam client within a blank GeForce Now background (janky design but whatever)

> I go to launch MK11, but instead it tells me to install it. I had my local steam client closed, so I figure it needs to be open so I go ahead and do that. Now I get the option to stream MK11.

> When I hit the button, it gives me some weird error saying that I need to launch it in the remote client first.

> I research the error, and it appears to be because of the EAC anti cheat client interface. The workaround is to first launch my LOCAL steam client in big picture mode, then launch MK11 from the GeForce Now instance.

> I do that, and the game finally launches. The quality is shit but w/e, I figure thats something I can tweak. But then I notice that theres no audio, so I assume that maybe this virtual window doesn't have the full 'focus' it needs. So I click around, and alt + enter to try to force it into fullscreen and shit goes haywire. The image gets distorted and my mouse cursor starts glitching out. I decide to just alt + F4 out of it, and then I noticed that for some reason my LOCAL MK11 was also launched, and that was where the audio feed was going. So I had two instances of the same game running.

At that point I gave up. Maybe MK11 is just broken on this service but this was a terrible first impression.

Edited by Twinblade
1 hour ago, Twinblade said:

> I fire up Geforce Now and add MK11 to my library

> I launch it and it prompts me to sign into steam. I sign in and it opens a virtual steam client within a blank GeForce Now background (janky design but whatever)

> I go to launch MK11, but instead it tells me to install it. I had my local steam client closed, so I figure it needs to be open so I go ahead and do that. Now I get the option to stream MK11.

> When I hit the button, it gives me some weird error saying that I need to launch it in the remote client first.

> I research the error, and it appears to be because of the EAC anti cheat client interface. The workaround is to first launch my LOCAL steam client in big picture mode, then launch MK11 from the GeForce Now instance.

> I do that, and the game finally launches. The quality is shit but w/e, I figure thats something I can tweak. But then I notice that theres no audio, so I assume that maybe this virtual window doesn't have the full 'focus' it needs. So I click around, and alt + enter to try to force it into fullscreen and shit goes haywire. The image gets distorted and my mouse cursor starts glitching out. I decide to just alt + F4 out of it, and then I noticed that for some reason my LOCAL MK11 was also launched, and that was where the audio feed was going. So I had two instances of the same game running.

At that point I gave up. Maybe MK11 is just broken on this service but this was a terrible first impression.

lol I dunno what the problem is.  But maybe MK just doesn't like you or something?

I tried it and it worked really well.  Took a bit to "find the next available machine" but after that it was fine.  Notice that I'm actually on a Wifi connection too lol...

lmao Twiblade, I think what was happening to you is that you were streaming the game to your Steam client from the GFNow server and playing it through the steam client instead of streaming it from GFNow.

You absolutely don't need the steam client on your machine to run it... that's the entire point.  You log into your steam account on the server and it runs it locally from there..

49 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I think I fixed it. The problem is that I had to 'install' the game on the virtual steam client in order for it be properly stream-able. This is pretty vague and not at all intuitive compared to the other streaming services.

Uh... no shit... because you're logging into YOUR steam account to get access to your games.  You have to "install" the game on the virtual steam client so that it shows up.  It's not "as intuitive" because it supports multiple different platforms.. thus requiring logging in and "installing" which only takes like 1 second because the games are already there on the server, it just has to find them and link them to your account.

I'm guessing certain games already "installed" on the servers remain installed and simply link to whichever steam account is logged into at the time.  Because sometimes I click a game and it starts right up, other times I have to "install" the game.

Sounds pretty clunky. Obviously more work is required, but in the future I'd expect it to be more seamless as in not having to login to any virtual client (just link my accounts) and the UI would just present my games that are supported. I'm sure they have a plan to remedy this.

How do other clients work out like Uplay, Origin, etc.? Same thing as Steam? 

6 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Sounds pretty clunky. Obviously more work is required, but in the future I'd expect it to be more seamless as in not having to login to any virtual client (just link my accounts) and the UI would just present my games that are supported. I'm sure they have a plan to remedy this.

How do other clients work out like Uplay, Origin, etc.? Same thing as Steam? 

Yea pretty sure you're right.  In the future I'm sure it will be more seamless.

I can see linking your Steam account the Geforce Now account that you've created, and then on your actual native Steam client just being able to select "Stream from Geforce Now" on games that support it and away it goes.  That would be a million times better.

I tried Metro Exodus on the Epic Game Store, and yea, it was the same thing.

Edited by Remij_