I'm really fucking curious as to what the "undisclosed" features of the next gen consoles are

Apparently they're far more exciting than anything that's been revealed thus far.

Sony has already went on record saying that the things that haven't been announced about the PS5 are bigger than the things they have announced as of now.

We know of:

-Compute increase

-SSD

-Ray Tracing

-Next Gen audio

-No load times

-PS4 backwards compatibility/Xbox backwards compatibility 

Now we have via Digital Foundry a quote from a 4A Games (Metro series) developer that say's he's also more excited about the things that haven't been disclosed yet. 

There's still much we don't know about the next generation of console hardware and while the prospect of Zen 2 CPU cores, solid state storage, ray tracing and 2x the graphics power of Xbox One X sounds awesome, 4A reckons there's more to come. "I am more excited for not yet publicly revealed things," Oles Shishkovstov says, enigmatically.

Seeing as it's a developer speaking, I'm going to presume it's features of the hardware relative to making and designing games, and not exactly front end features.  I wonder what the fuck they could be? :wonder:

Edited by Remij_
  • Remij changed the title to I'm really fucking curious as to what the "undisclosed" features of the next gen consoles are
2 minutes ago, Team 2019 said:

If they haven't mentioned in marketing it's probably something lame.

They haven't marketed the console at all yet though.... they haven't even started.  Wired articles about tech where you're talking the bare minimum isn't marketing imo.

If you actually look at the info Sony themselves have released... it's all just very thin details.  We have absolutely NO IDEA of the user experience either is planning for the next gen.

Things haven't even begun dude.

Since the interview was with the Chief Technology Officer, I'm assuming it IS something regarding features of the architectures which either improve development, or make it extremely easy for certain things to be accomplished.

- no load times? like in loading a next area? loading the base game? booting up anything? 

how do they disappear, i think we will still have load times?

12 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

unrelated to this thread, but i've been hearing a lot of buzz about GeForce Now lately and how it basically wipes the floor with Stadia.

GeForce Now is having problems with games getting removed, so I wouldn't get too excited about it until that got worked out.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Twinblade said:

unrelated to this thread, but i've been hearing a lot of buzz about GeForce Now lately and how it basically wipes the floor with Stadia. What are your thoughts on it remij?

Well, I've been a Geforce Now beta tester pretty much since the very start years ago.  The service has come a long way since then.  First the app itself is much better, but still lacking the ability to see ALL the games on the service.  You get a listing of popular and promoted titles... but can't see the entire library at once.  You have to search for games using the search bar.  They've improved start up times immensely, and now at least you don't have to actually find your game in the steam client after clicking it in Geforce Now client.

As for the streaming itself.  I can't compare it directly to Stadia because I haven't tried it yet (and wont until it has a free tier playable on PC).  I think some people who have had said that Stadia's picture looks slightly better, but there's more lag.  Obviously that will depend on each person's connection, but what I can say is that for me, Geforce Now, while limited to 1080p... feels DAMN good.  Like... better than it has any right to at this point.  I've play a large chunk of RE2 Remake using it (around 3-4h) and it was a really good experience, with just a couple hiccups here and there. 

With certain games, it essentially feels like native.  I bet there's tons of people out there playing their consoles on TVs without 'GameMode" on which probably has more input lag than what I'm experiencing here.  Certain titles will feel better than others of course.

There's still lots of areas to improve... and they will.  It's been in beta for years, but it's not like they've been putting their entire efforts into this the whole time.  They're here and established, and once the competition starts heating up, they'll put more effort into it.  $5 is a nice introductory price to test the service imo.  The experience is really good on PCs... but (and I think this goes for all these services) mobile and wifi will not gain much traction until 5G is up and running in more places.

• Upvote 1

I'm starting to see the limitations of GeForce Now getting reported. Some games stuck at 720p or 1080p, graphics options disabled/limited, high latency causing "skipping" effect, etc. Game streaming for any company is a long way off, that's for damn sure.

51 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

I was thinking of signing up for a month just so I can play MK11 since that shit doesn't work on my PC :trump2:

You get 3 months free, so I don't see why you shouldn't give it a shot and see how it goes.

12 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

I'm starting to see the limitations of GeForce Now getting reported. Some games stuck at 720p or 1080p, graphics options disabled/limited, high latency causing "skipping" effect, etc. Game streaming for any company is a long way off, that's for damn sure.

Where are you hearing that?  What games are stuck at 720p?  I'm not trying to argue or anything... just that I've never seen it.  If you can give me an example I'll try it right now.  I've seen 1080p locked games yea, but I assume that's because the stream is locked to 1080p so they're essentially maximizing performance to remove actual GPU slowdown from the equation.

3 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

Where are you hearing that?  What games are stuck at 720p?  I'm not trying to argue or anything... just that I've never seen it.  If you can give me an example I'll try it right now.  I've seen 1080p locked games yea, but I assume that's because the stream is locked to 1080p so they're essentially maximizing performance to remove actual GPU slowdown from the equation.

Rocket League I believe is one of them and Doom 2016. I think Bitwit made a video recently about it. 

21 minutes ago, lynux3 said:

Rocket League I believe is one of them and Doom 2016. I think Bitwit made a video recently about it. 

I just tried Rocket League and it was at 1080p for me and I could select anything below it too.  Maybe it fucked up on his since he was connected to a 4K screen?  It doesn't make much sense, but yea I checked out his vid and he was limited.  Weird.

rocket-league.png

But yea... I had said that you no longer have to select games again through Steam after logging into them on GFN... but that was a lie.  Apparently that's only for specific games, because I just had to do it with Rocket League... lol?  Oh well.

8 minutes ago, Remij_ said:

I just tried Rocket League and it was at 1080p for me and I could select anything below it too.  Maybe it fucked up on his since he was connected to a 4K screen?  It doesn't make much sense, but yea I checked out his vid and he was limited.  Weird.

rocket-league.png

But yea... I had said that you no longer have to select games again through Steam after logging into them on GFN... but that was a lie.  Apparently that's only for specific games, because I just had to do it with Rocket League... lol?  Oh well.

Yeah, then I assume user error on his part. I saw some other reports on reddit with similar findings; though, they seem questionable now. :shrug:  I have not tried GeForce Now for years.

Edited by lynux3
Just now, lynux3 said:

Yeah, then I assume user error on his part. I saw some other reports on reddit with similar findings; though, they seem questionable now. :shrug:  I have no tried GeForce Now for years.

If it's working for some and not for others, and depending on what monitor and shit like that you have, then yea, they still have some kinks to work out.

It could also be dependent on which server hardware you get.  I remember playing RE2 Remake and it let me select 4K on the server and when streamed to 1080p and it looked ridiculously good.  It wasn't a locked 60, but it felt stable and sharp.  Nobody would have complained.. because the IQ and performance you're getting relative to the cost was really good.

There's also simply a lot of games out there that don't require super precise controls, so the convenience of streaming to any screen is nice.  I really like Steam Link and GameStream for that reason.